• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vermillion River (fishing report)

Renneberg

Troutman I've got some bad news for you. More then 25% of anglers already practice C&R, in fact; 80% of trout anglers practice C&R regularly.

The biggest problem the DNR have with growing big trout is how to grow big trout.

We were told at Trout days from a DNR fisheries person that trout numbers make a huge drop once a trout population reaches 12 inches.

Nobody is 100% sure why that is.

Placing regs such as no harvest between 12 to 16 inches have not improved the population of trout over 12 inches.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

My .02 Cents...

Make this fishery a "Catch & Release" ALL TROUT ONLY regulated waters!

Due to the apparent pressure this fishery is impacted by..this IS the only sensible plan for regulation of it to allow ALL the excitement it currently contains and will for the future trout fishing public.

CAMERAS & REPLICAS GO A LONG WAY TOWARDS RETAINING QUALITY FISHERIES grin.gif
-----------------VS---------------------
REAL fish mounts hangin on walls...This aint no ROCKET SCIENCE I'm a thinkin!!

Your thoughts?

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

[This message has been edited by LUND-MAN (edited 05-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by LUND-MAN (edited 05-17-2003).]

LUND-MAN, i was thinking the same thing. Why not take one stream, designate it c&r only. There will be plenty of streams left for people wanting to enjoy a meal. I can pretty much promise that this will be the best trout fishery we have. I know this will probably not happen, but i for one would love to see it. The DNR would be able to do alot of tests based on this one change and everyone would benefit, and like i said this should not anger anyone after all we are only talking one stream out of the many we have...

I've been reading this thread and was thinking the same thing about a C&R designation. I like to take a meal of trout when I can but realize that some streams seem better suited for catch and release. I'm thinking of streams that have shown signifigant potential for trophy fish. I've never fished the Vermillion but it seems that with it's close proximaty to a large population it could easily get overfished.
As far as replica's go, I'm getting more interested in them myself. The first time I ever caught a huge fish I had to let it go since we already had two pike over 30 inches. That was such a great feeling putting it back. I've put back every pike I've caught over seven pounds since then. Including a 22 pound fish. I couldn't believe what a good feeling it was. I love to eat fish but have doubled my fishing fun by catching and releasing.

------------------
Erik

WELCOME Redlantern!!!!!!

To the Responsible, Future-minded Fishing-Family those of us that do CATCH & RELEASE grin.gif

We ALL know and feel what you also feel when releasing such fish!! Isn't it a TRULY wonderful feeling inside when you place the fish back in the water and watch it swim out of sight! grin.gif

That fish will return to the hook once again, albeit someone elses if not yours.
A good thing to ponder also in this CPR activity is the use of Barbless hooks. Use a needle-nose pliers on lures, just pinch the barbs with the pliers. If you fly-fish and tye your own...barbless hooks are readily available to buy, prior to the tye grin.gif

As I stated earlier...don't forget the camera!

Again...WELCOME FELLOW CPR FISHERMAN!! grin.gif
WE ARE MANY...A GROWING grin.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

[This message has been edited by LUND-MAN (edited 05-18-2003).]

MAYBE THE DNR COULD LOOK AT IT ANOTHER WAY.
SINCE IT'S POTENTIALLY BAD FOR A RIVER TO BE TOTALLY C&R, THEY HAVE THE RIVER C&R ONLY BUT, ON CERTAIN MONTHS THEY OPEN IT FOR KEEPING THE TROUT.
LETS SAY MAY AND AUGUST YOU CAN KEEP TROUT, SAME REG'S. THAT WAY YOU GUYS THAT WANT A MEAL AND A MOUNT HAVE TIME TO GET IT. THEN MAYBE WE ALL CAN MAINTAIN A HEALTHY TROUT RIVER, WHILE THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME IS C&R.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

I have fished some of the best trout waters in the US, I have also seen them over fished
until there is nothing left.

If you dont let them go, you are a fish killer and the trout gods will not be happy.

You are rewarded every time you release a trout.

a camara is under $5 use it.

Some trout gods will be angry, but the good trout gods will really appreciate the fact that you spent your valuable time harvesting their creations. Trouts are so yummmi.

This is how I like them, trout:
Smoke'em then boil them with cilentro, a few leaves of basil and mint, a shrimp boulleon(sp), a stick of lemon grass, some tomatoes, a dash of MSG, and salt'n pepper to taste.

I went fishing with my brother on the Vermillion last Saturday. My brother had never caught a brown larger that 18 inches from a stream. Based on my experiences so far this year on this river, I pretty much assured him he would exceed he personal best. Well, my brother wasn't disappointed and I also achieved a personal best. My brother landed a couple of 20-22 inch browns and I landed a 26 inch monster brown. We had caught, photographed and released a total of 8 browns that were larger than 18 inches on Saturday. It was a great day to be out and my brother and we will have wonderful memories lasting for a long time about the big one.
Please, if anyone catches a large trout and thinks they need to have it hanging on the wall, consider a fiberglass repo. From my understanding, they cost about the same and look better for a longer period of time than an actual mount.
I kept a 18 inch brown a couple of weeks ago to cook up on the grill. To be honest, next time I want a really good tasting fish on the grill, I will pick up a salmon fillet at Cub or Rainbow foods. The fish I had kept wasn’t bad but I have had better tasting trout/salmon from the store. I’m not saying people shouldn’t keep any fish to eat. I think when a fish gets to be a certain size, it does tend to get that muddy taste to it.
I sure there are those of you that a going to hammer me for my thoughts, but this is my story and I’m sticking to it.

MSG give me terrible gas also

well i don't think you will be hammered for expressing your thoughts and anyway who gives a rip if people don't like it. I have expressed my opinions on here and have been blasted and i could care less there my opinions and if they are not liked thats tough. Anyway sounds like a heck of a day on the river and kudos to you man for releasing those fish now someone else has a chance to enjoy those beauties. those pictures will bring alot bigger smile on your face than pinching some lemon on their fillets!!!

My hats off to you Cab.Instead of turning a beautiful fish into a turd or something to brag about,you set it free to hopefully provide another angler the opportunity to c&r it and who knows...maybe it'll be there next year at 28 inches or more.I'm sure the trout gods are pleased with you Cab.May you be the one to catch it again.Mike

Cab,

Thanks for the taste info. There is nothing worse than a muddy tasting, jumbo brown from a small stream. Those are best to be photographed and released. Good thing I do not fish this river: it is too small for me as I like to take home a trout or two for the grill.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up on the taste.

SO CAB YOU NEVER MENTIONED HOW YOU CAUGHT THESE FISH, I NEED A TIP OR TWO?
SINCE THE RIVER IS SOMEWHAT STABLE YOU SHOULD TRY TO GO BACK AFTER THAT 26" WITH A FLY. IF YOU DON'T E-MAIL ME AND TELL ME WHERE IT IS AND I'LL TRY TO GET HIM ON THE FLY. E-MAIL [email protected]
ALL KIDDING ASIDE SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DAY, THANKS FOR GIVING ME THE OPERTUNITY TO CATCH SOME MORE LARGE TROUT. HOPEFULLY SOME ANGLERS WILL SEE WITH ALL THESE STORIES OF LARGE TROUT THAT THEY WILL DO THEIR PART IN PROTECTING THIS TROPHY FISHERY.
GREAT ANGLING, KEEP UP THE C&R.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

Cab, what a trout! 26 inches. She must of been over 8lbs. That's a truely big trout anywhere in the country.
Great to hear that a fish that size was released.

You stated in your post that you and your brother took pics of those big trout. Are you going to post them somewhere so we can see them?

------------------
"Study to be quite"

We caught all of the trout on Rapalas. I was using a original floating #11 brown trout colored rap and my brother was mixing it up a little. He had no choice being his casting was a little off and lost about 4 Rapalas. I think he caught most of his fish on a #7 bright yellow sinking rap. The large fish hit while I was feeding out extra line to get into a spot that looked real fishy. Usually when I'm feeding out extra line I give it a jerk occassionally to prevent the line from getting wrapped up around the trebles. It was when I gave it a jerk near the fishy looking spot, the 26 inch brown hit. While fighting the fish, it jumped clean out of the water 2 times. My brother had dropped his rod and came running over to help haul it up the bank. After I returned the fish, my brother, being just as excited as I was, had forgotten where he laid his rod and we spent the next 15 minutes looking for it.

My brother emailed me a some pictures of the fish we caught. When he downloaded them from the camera he must have saved them as 1200x800 so pictures are very large (650kb).

I'm not into fly fishing so I have no intentions on going back with a fly rod. I do plan on going back to the same spot soon, maybe this weekend. Hmmm, Fathers Day is Sunday and my wife has been asking me what I want to do to make it a special day.

YEAH AS WE ALL KNOW SOME PEOPLE AREN'T INTO FLY FISHING. ME PERSONNALLY PREFER FLIES WHEN THE APROPRIATE SPOT PRESENTS ITSELF.
GOTTA LOVE TROUT FISHING EITHER WAY YOU DO IT.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

Sounds like most of you are into catch and release fishing.
I am happy to here that.
The Vermilion River is on its way, and is now naturally reproducing trout after being a dead stream, as people like to argue that keeping the big ones leads to more fish. This is a lame argument
Fish like all other things are subject to the laws of genetics. Only a very few lines of fish are capable of growing to the 30 inch class.

Lets not take these genetic marvels out of the gene pool.

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-23-2003).]

Hey Fishnforfun good point it's really crazy for responsible trout fisherman (fly or Spin) to keep anything big from a stream in which the trout are struggling to reproduce naturally. The "big-ones" are those that have the appropriate genetic material that has allowed them to grow to substantial proportions and thse should be allowed to pass their genetic material throughout the rivers trout population.

To embellish a bit. Due to their spatially predictable nature these fish commonly become part of the fishing experience on a regular basis. The beauty of trout lies in their predictable nature and this nature allows the fish to be named by those fishermen who are lucky enough to make their acquaintance. These are the fish that are often refered to in conversation by name.

The next time you catch a big one put it back and by allowing it to spread its genetic material across the population it will allow yourself and someone else to enjoy the opportunity to catch it and its offspring again in the years to come. I hope, and as it seems, that this opinion towards trout fishing develops along with the trout waters of Minnesota!!