• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Foam car top holder for canoe?

I have a canoe and I'd like to transport it on top of my vehicle, but I don't have any sort of rails or rack on my car top. I've seen those foam block kits at Gander that would seem to provide an option for me. Any experience using these or any general suggestions? Thanks,

Ben

Not much to tell...they work pretty good, we've used them on and off for years. Any time you have to rope something down on the roof you may want to use something ((scrap of rubber/carpet,etc...) where the ropes hit the edge of the hood/body to keep the ropes from chaffing the paint.

I prefer having a ratchet style strap going over the roof.

I agree 100%. A rope across the roof can lead to an ugly incident... When I first got my canoe, I used a couple ropes across the roof. 5 miles down the highway, I almost had to change my pants. A ratchet strap holds much, much better.

They work pretty well. My kit doesn't have ratchet straps--you risk denting the car or canoe if you go to tight. It's got nylon straps with spring loaded buckles. You pull them tight and they can't release until you release them. Always wipe the top of the car clean before you put it up there, though, or the pads will scratch your paint.

I've hauled my 17' Aluminum on top of my Accord many times. I like to stop and check on it throughout the trip, especially if it's windy.

The only problem I've had is with very strong cross-winds...otherwise, they hold wonderfully well. One time driving down I-35 with 40 mph winds from the east made it move quite a bit, but a bit of improvisation (by tying a rope to a thwart and then tying that rope to the inside door handle) fixed the problem. They're definitely a good buy, IMHO.

When I bought my canoe, I also picked up the foam block kit. I spent a little extra and got the thicker ones. I use them on top of my SUV. However, I couldn't get my canoe on top of my SUV without scratching my paint. So, I made a roof rack, bascially a frame, out of treated 2 x 2's. Now I can slide my canoe up from the side and then swing it around and tie it down. It may not look real cool, but it does the job. Also, it seemed like no matter how tight I got the webbing, the front end of the canoe would still move over. I then attached another couple pieces of 2 x 2, one on each side in the front, for the canoe to slip between. Now, the canoe can't move over.

When in short supply, I have cut up the noodle used in swimming pools or lakes. The noodles have to be the ones with the hole down the middle. This is a cheap way to make cushions for your canoe, but also very helpful if you are not near a store which carries the canoe foam blocks as you mentioned. I went 160 miles without any problems, but I do notice they deteriorate in the weather faster than the other type of foam.