• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Root River

DARK30

The Root River is very low for this time of year. Even the main branch east of Lanesboro is showing river bed that normally is way under water this time of year.

Preston was packed with people on Saturday and with the low water fishing was tough. I went looking for deeper water and had real good luck finding trout too. I did get a nice 19" Brown and I heard of a few over 20" being caught.

We need some rain.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I fished the Root near Chatfield Saturday. It was low but we found plenty of trout. Most 9" or smaller but did see a 24" pulled out on a panther martin #2.

Fishing on Trout Run in the afternoon produced a couple of 14-16" trout but again nothing to get excited about.

"I'd rather be fishing"

Dark30,

Hey man,
I bet your proud as a young buck in rut, getting back down to your "summer home" eh?

SOunds like you might get what you asked for. Weather channel claims up to an inch of rain tomorrow!

It's a start!!!
Nice fish by the way!!! What did you get it on????

Jim W

Dark30....
We commented on the fact that it was the most people we've seen on the Root during the opener. The low and clear water must have pushed some smaller stream people towards the bigger water.
We caught plenty of trout, no big ones though, kept a couple for dinner opener night. We also had luck at some other streams in the area.
Give me a hollar when youse river rats start going for dem kitty cats. I'd be up for joining in on some of the fun at any catfish gatherings.

I took vacation on Thur (catch & release season) to get out before the crowds hit the water. I didn't make it to the stream until 11:00 and the first bridge I drove by had 3 cars parked at it. I went further upstream to the place I planned to fish and there were already 4 cars at that spot. It was the first nice day for quite a while, but I sure wasn't prepared for that. I fished between the 2 groups for a while without much success. There was a light hatch, but was unable to catch anything with dry's, but managed to catch 4 small ones on a PT before I ran into people.

I was so disgusted that I drove to a non-designated stream to get away from everyone. Used spinners there and caught 6 trout all from 13 to 16 inches. I fished there for 3 hours so the catching wasn't too fast and furious, but it sure beat fishing with what seemed like an opening day crowd.

[This message has been edited by mark p (edited 04-15-2003).]

Yup, Despite the crowds on the streams,It was real nice to sit around the smart fire and listen to the owls once again! I just got a mess of crawlers outside under the apple tree....The Suckers won't be safe this weekend. What would a guy like me want with Suckers you ask? Well,I (Cat) figure that out!

I'll be down again with my son this weekend. Maybe I can guide him to some fun. I'll just put him on a little green plastic bug and tell him to cast,cast,cast,cast,cast....... If anyone wants to stop in, I'll be at Hidden Valley Campground site #4.

Duffman, Hope we can hook up too! I'll bring the cut sucker.

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------

Well, the Root has recieved some much needed rainfall and things are looking better. It rained most of the weekend but not enough to snuff the smart fire.

Trout were biting and there were bugs coming off the water. I know of two large trout being kept for mounts....a 23" and a 25" (too bad). I didn't get any big ones this time but the shakers are fun too.

Looking forward to next Saturday at Forestville! The water should be good.

------------------

Dark,

Thanks for the update!

Yup, I noticed a little rise and cloud to area waters. We really could use one more hard rain , giving them trout more places to hide. They are real vulnerable right now! Especially to take homers.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W