• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Connecting Braided Lines

MinnesnowtaWild

Just curious if a uni-uni knot will be able to hold a large fish or not. Here's the situation: I have an Abu Garcia 6600 C4 with 80 lb PowerPro (which is not my favorite) but not enough of it is on there after all the snags and such. I bought some 65 lb Suffix braid (didn't have 80 lb for sale) and was wondering if a uni-uni knot would be strong enough to hold these lines together without taking away from the strength of the line.

I am definitely okay with just ditching the PP all together and starting over with all Suffix and a mono backing, but figured why waste the PP that's on there especially with how expensive it is. Thanks guys.

Yep that is exactly what I was referring to, just didn't know the proper name. I ended up having the perfect amount of 80 lb. Suffix left on my old spool so I didn't have to use the 65 lb stuff. So now it's 14 lb mono backing (just enough line, not very much on there maybe 15 yards approximately) and then somewhere around 25-40 yards of 80 lb PowerPro then the rest is Suffix 80 lb (100+ yards).

I shouldn't have to worry about the double uni knot strength since there should be more than enough Suffix on there for a while as long as I can get out of snags (much easier for me with my spinning reel, just hold the spool with my hand and walk backwards). I'll have to get one of those wooden sticks to get out of snags because holding the spool on a baitcaster and pulling does a number on the line on the spool (crams it down and makes the spool no longer equal).

Sorry for rambling haha I'm very tired. Goodnight all.