• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Crawlerman

MN Stream Trout opener-- metro/surrounding area?

Hey all. I'm thinking on getting into the trout thing this year. I have a fly rod (which I know not how to use) and a nice lil 5'5" light action "trout" rod. I have some rooster tails and small spoons in my panfish box that would be ideal for trout. Slip bobbers/earthworms I'd also use. Now the question is where. I was thinking of doing Wis on the Kinnie, but I found out that doesn't start till WAY late, the whole point of doing Trout is having something different for a few weeks to fish for before the boat is ready. Where is a good place to start within relative proxitmity to the South East metro? Any of those streams in Farmington have anything in them?

check out the MN DNR trout stream guide on there web site.
you might be dissapointed when you do go trout fishing for the first time it takes most people a couple years just to get the casting in tight quarters. I would use the spinnig rod with very small spinners rooster tails are kind of big for most of the trout we have left( unless you no a private land owner)try meps 0 or 1 with very light line.(i use 1 pound diamiter line almost inviseble.

a good stream to try would be hay creek in red wing very good numbers of trout and easy acess.

CPR catch photo release

if you want to keep some i suggest taking the 9 to 10 inches anything bigger in my opinion sould go back.

Hey Crawlerman,

If you are new to trout fishing you should look into getting the In-fishermen video called Stream Trout Techtics. Great video! They show you ever you need to know about how to catch trout and lots of them.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

If I don't say so myself, attending the 3rd Annual Trout Day wouldn't hurt either!!
That won't cost you dime one!

Jim W

Jim-- I'm defiantly gonna try to make it.. though I have plans that day for something else. I may be able to sneak it in as it's mostly in the AM. I'll see.. but yes, I would definatly be trying to come otherwise. Dunno.. the rooster tails I have are pretty small.. and there is no way I'm using 1 lb test. If there too finiky I'll just use worms, crickets, or corn.

Crawlerman,
A couple of other different baits you could use are:
Wax worms, I use two on one hook.
Nightcrawlers, I only use part of one, about an inch.
With these I hook them on a small hook with a small split shot, just enough to let the current float your bait down stream slowly.

KSW

Crawlerman,

Don't let the ultra ultra light philosophy scare you. TO be honest, I use 6lb XL! I have had way too many nice trout and stream smallmouth break off my 4 pound. I guess what I am trying to say is you don't need to go so light and small for trout. Plus when using spinners, 4lb and less might get backlashed a tad sooner than others!

SPin fishing is not flyfishing, keep the smallish stuff for the long rod!

Crane fly larvae is typically a great SPring bait as well! Not too many trout can resist these juicy morsels!!!!!!

Jim W

Think castability, durability, and forage native to the waters your fishing!

Jim-- yeah.. that was what I was planning on using.. altough I guess I could try 6lb Flourcarb if the fish were very finicky; though it's a pain to work with. I think I have the basics of tackle down from what I've been reading.. I'm just looking for Location. Too bad Lake-trout season opens later in the year; I'd love to go toss some spinners into Holland right now and see what I could ctach.

WATERWORMS is THE BAIT to use in the early season period if you are "bait-fishing"! wink.gif

Ask any bait-fishing veteran trout fisherman..they'll inform you on this "Golden Rule" of bait-fishing for trout.

Personally, I use the fly-rod and wet-fly fishem. A gold-ribbed hare's ear works wonders down there! grin.gif

Best of luck!

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Heh. ok.. I think I have enough tips and such for what to use.. now does anyone have suggestions on where to go, relativley close to the cities?

Hay Creek in Red Wing would be a great place to start.
It's less then a hour drive from the cities and is a great trout stream.

------------------
"Study to be quite"