• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

merc 125 2-stroke starting question

Start by cleaning the connections at the battery, solenoid, and starter to eliminate them as the problem. If the solenoid is going bad this can happen. Or if the brushes in the starter are worn with bits of carbon dust making the brushes hang up is an other common. You can jump a + cable straight to the starter to test it. About the worn and dirty brushes, the increased arc that is created by current needing to jump to make contact will make the problem worse so that hesitation is a sign to get it fixed. If it were me I'd pull the starter and at least clean out dust by flushing with and electrical cleaner WD-40. There is a trick to assembly, you'll have to depress the brushes to get them back onto the armature.

Easiest way to find it is to follow the large battery positve cable to it. It will be behind the large black plastic cover on the starboard side if the engine. Any electrical starting problem would have my attention immediately. I would'nt let it go at all, it's trying to tell you something.

If you have a 12 volt test light, have someone help you check for power at the starter while you turn the key. If you do this in the driveway, be sure to disable the ignition by removing the safety lanyard so it cant start, you only need it to crank over.