• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tiger trout

troutman72

I was there on 4/1 and saw the same. I had no idea what these trout were but now that I hear the term "tiger trout" I understand. We need to gain focus on the Root if we are going to keep and advance this stream as a great trout river.

All,
Not to be a skeptic, but are you certain these are Tigers?

ANother thing, this stream is a beaut! Use to be a day when fishing was exceptional from where you could jump across, all the way down past Choice. I haven't made it down there yet this season, but let's try and keep the S.F. a precious resource! Not to say your aren't!!!

This talk of "tigers" has me very interested!!
Thanks for the repos guys!!

Jim W

yeas they are tigers i have copared the to a brown and a brookie they are all three diferant. pluse i have been fishing there for 8 years atleast twice during c&r and only last and this year have i caught trou that loked like this with one exception on gribbion about 5 years ago i caught a 17 incher that dident lok right was a brown with worm tracks and white tips on the front of its bottom fins. also it had the brookie red under the belly. im no fish expert but iv caught enough to say these are a cross.

What a beautiful fish, caught about a 10-12 inch Tiger out of there the other day. I'm thinking they must be stocked. though I never caught any brooks there until the last couple years, interesting!!

With all this talk of Tiger Trout I thought I had better head down there and try to catch one myself, for some nice photos, before the official opener hits. The trout were very cooperative, usually catching at least one fish from every "pocket" I fished. Even with the low clear water, the fish were aggressively attacking my rapala.

I caught mostly browns but also a smaller rainbow, but none of tigers I had hoped for. But two of the browns did have extremely white leading edges to their lower fins, something I had never noticed so defined before.

I didn't fish all the way up to Wisel, actually spent most of my time downstream of the co. rd 12 bridge. How far down from Wisel have you been catching these possible tiger trout. If I can swing friday off I might have to go try agian.

One other thing, I found three dead trout in about a 20 yard strech of stream, about a 1/2 mile down from the bridge, anyone else notice this.

I guess I have caught native browns in the past that have a white line on their fins, but these were not Tigers.
There is more than one "strain" of Brown trout introduced into our waters. SOme definitely need a few more seconds out of the water to be admired than others.
Not doubting you caught "tiger" trout, but the frequency has me a bit skeptical.

However, there is three real decent Brook trout streams that feed into the S.F. So, I guess it is possible!

Take some good "stills" next time and bring them over to Trout Day. I would love to see them and chat about that stream. Many a fine story!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!!

Jim W

took a freind trout fishing today caught a trout that had no spots just thick black worm tracks. i caught this fish in nepstad. what kind of trout is this? and why do the trout look differant?

ill buy a dig camera mine got stole out of my truck and take a butch of pictures next time i go.

oh by the way i had 13 fish over 12 inches today. great day to be fishing except the 12 inches of powder to walk in.too bad opener is this weekend most of the fish i have been catching will be gone soon im sure. cant wait till there is catch and release only streams. ive seen private sections of stream that iv fished for a number of years go from an avg of 8 inches to 16 in three years of C&R awsome fishing to say the least.(sorry i will never say what stream.)

happy opener and CPR

[email protected]

troutman,
I'm not doubting your catches, just seriously curious.
Sounds like you had a great day on the water as well!!!!

I think if I go on opener, I'll probably bring the garbage bags instead of the rod and reel, picking up after all of the yahooos!

Jim W

just to set the record straight the fish i thought were tiger trout were not. just a very colerfull variation of a brown. i was informed of this by dnr staff that shock that stream.

trout days was great. if you have children and they like to fish or they like the outdoors you need to go to the next trout days. I will be taking my little girl in the future.

thanks Jim and the other folks who put the event on.

CPR [email protected]

I caught an 18" Brown last Sunday night on the Main Branch that didn't look anything like my normal catch. It was real beefy and had a totally different color to it....Thought it was a Rainbow at first. Maybe next time I hook um he'll be 20" and I'll get a pic. These fish are absolutely fun to hook up with! wink3.gif

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......