• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ball joints

I just bought some new tires from TP and they wouldn't do an alignment because my lower ball joints were loose. They said this a few months ago and I brought my '98 Explorer to the dealership and they said there will always be some movement. They said the joints were within specs and an alignment should have been done. Who do I believe? I am leaning towards the dealership since TP is notorious about finding things to fix that don't need to be. I ended up getting alignment done at FF and they didn't find anything wrong before doing the job. I will be getting a oil change at the dealership and I'll ask them again to check the joints and see what they say. I don't want my new tires ruined prematurely.

Some of the shops aren't necessarily being dishonest (some are) they use standards that may be provided by an aftermarket part supplier that are different than OEM. If your tires aren't wearing unevenly and you don't need to replace any front end parts an alignment is a waste of money in my opinion. Many times the alignment was better before they messed with it than after. I have never had one done ever, in almost 50 years of driving. Never wore out a tire because of poor alignment either.

You have obviously never owned a ford explorer, expedition, f-150, contour, taurus............ shocked

I take that this is common among fords? I take that some play in the ball joints is ok. If dealership says they are ok then I'll get an alignment. I know I need one.

I typically recommend them if there is some play or if the vehicle comes in for an alignment and there is some play. If ther lowers are worn out its going to affect camber. If I adjust camber and they continue to get sloppier than the alignment did no good. I suspect that the dealer found little to perceptible movement on your vehicle which is not an issue.

I experienced the same at Tires Plus several months ago when I had to get brakes replaced. I get a call that said I had to replace my lower ball joints because there was movement. Then I get there to pick it up and they try and tell me my uppers need to be replaced for an additional $650 and then I should get new tires priced at $950. I told them I'd pass.

It is a ford, fix or repair daily (ford), they have a an issue with the front ends on their trucks too especially the old I beam suspension. I would take it to another shop and have them do a safety inspection on it. If you still are not satisfied, take it to the dealer and have them check. Nothing worse than either replacing tires often or having the ball joint fall out while driving. Can make for a bad day.