• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin Steelhead

kjgmh

I have fished the Brule for steelies many times but was wondering if any other rivers in Wisconsin have a spring steelhead run. I heard that they took out the Oreinta dam on the Iron River, is there any place to fish now between where the dam was and the lake from shore? I am not looking for any secret spots just other rivers to explore if the Brule gets to crowded.

------------------
Your next fish could be your biggest!!

kj,
I to fish the Brule religously and always ask the same question. The Iron was ruined (in my opinion) when they took out the dam, because all the soot filled in the hole below the dam. You might want to try the Soiux in Wasburn or maybe Pike creek outside Bayfield, also the White has a run init also.
Your best bet is the Brule you just have to hike in a mile or two to get away from people.
Most people that fish the Brule ( hopefully I don't offend anyone) I concider " weak tits" because they are to afraid to get too far from the road they parked on, so in those areas you will have a large concentration of people.
Your best bet is to go to your favorite landing and just head straight down stream for a mile or so and just start working the runs or the deep pockets but just get as far away from the parking areas as you can.
There is alot of river that goes untouched all year long.

Jar Jar

Last fall I talked CO about the Iron. He told me that the fishing on that river is going to be great in a few years. Now the returning trout and salmon have something like 30+ miles of great spawning water. Fishing there on the Iron is going to be tuff for a few years, because the few steelhead that spawn in the river have so much water to hide in. When the returning steelheads numbers build up the fishing will improve.
He was told by the area Fisheries manager that the Iron River will most likly have more steelhead returning to it then the Brule.

I guess time will tell if the man is right or wrong.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

Thanks guys. I can't wait for the 29th. I have my poles ready and have organized my vest. I will hit URL one last time this weekend and then count the days. If either of you are going to be out on the opener and would like company let me know. I don't whine too much and will fish in any weather.

I drove by the Brule Sat. morning and was packed. Went to the Sioux and only caught one small rainbow. Had a couple friends on the Brule and saw nothing. We need some warm weater to get things going.

Thanks for the report. My brother and I are heading up there this weekend. How much snow is still up there? If it does get warm and that snow starts to melt is the river going to be roaring or fishable?
From other sites I've heard the boxcar area produced some fish.

Well there was about 10,000 people and only 20 fish in the whole river grin.gif
Realistically, the water is still alittle too cold and with the last snow that will help the river go up and turn color but it won't help the water temps at all .Now we have another snow storm bearing down on us so that won't help at all, we need a good warm rain for a few days to get things rolling down there.
The fishing report was very spotty with very few "nice " steelies coming in.
I also need to include ,if you don't have a four wheel drive,It could be alittle tricky getting down some of the side dirt roads because the townships and the county usually doesn't touch those after it snows in april or late march.

Jar Jar