• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep cranking line???

gritsnham

I have become very into deep cranks over the last couple years but cant seem to find my perfect line for it yet. I tried braid and had decent luck but did have some "ripped lips". Currently im using gamma but it just has to much strech for me with the resistance of deep cranks and takes away all of the bottom feel. P-line is next on my to try list but was going to see what advice anyone on here can offer.

Thnaks

Are you fishing Gamma co-poly or flouro? Flouro sinks and that would be the best option if you want the optimum depth out of your cranks, co-poly is basically mono, there for it floats. Ive heard good things about Gamma flouro and also Seagar flouro, good luck!

Im using the floro and I like the line alot just not so much for deep cranks. I cant learn as much from feeling the bottom and the stretch makes to much resistence on long casts. This means I get tired of chucking big cranks faster and I dont like the lower sensitivity. I always here braid will lose you more fish when cranking because of ripping lips so Im wondering if copoly will be my happy medium(pline flouro coated?)

Any other input would be great

Flourocarbon lines have much less stretch than mono, so I'm not sure what to tell ya if you think youre line is stretching too much during the cast. I've used a variety of flourocarbons for cranking, and they all work pretty well, P-Line Halo is good stuff if you want a specific one to try. 12lb is a good standard if you are looking at optimizing a crank's depth potential. 15lb fireline works well, but as others have said, I tend not to use braid as much unless around real thick stuff. As stated above, if you aren't getting the right "feel" you are looking for without braid, your rod is most likely too stiff. You want a much softer tip than you might think. Check out some of the different styles next time you are at a store, and you may want to try a new one. G-Loomis has several great models that I can attest to, but there is no need to spend that kind of money if you have to buy it. I have an awesome rod, I can't think of the brand right now, but next time I'm in my boat I'll check the brand and post it.

Actually, flouro carbon lines stretch too. Take a look at the testing done on the TT site. Here is the bottom line in the article.

Conclusions from our stretch and strain tests? Compared against our baseline product, Trilene XL, eight of our fourteen lines showed overall stretch results equal to or greater than this baseline when dry. Five of these eight were still worse than the Trilene XL even after we soaked the XL for 3 hours. That's a little over a third of the lines that fared worse than the our baseline mono. Even then, aside from a couple of products, the difference in stretch totals from this baseline was not very significant, and the surprise permanent deformation ( or strain ) results in the fluorocarbon is a bit disturbing. Certainly in this category, the overall performance of our FC lines was a disappointment.

Actually, flouro carbon lines stretch too.

Great point CHM! Most flouro lines do not perform like most fisherman believe. They do stretch, knots must be tied very carefully to avoid failure, they fray, they do not absorb shock very well, and they do not behave well in heavier tests on spinning rods. That being said, because flouro is denser than mono, 10 lb flouro lines will get you deeper than 10 lb mono with a crankbait. The diameter of 10 lb flouro is usually the same as 10 lb mono. Try 10 lb braid and you will get even deeper because it has a much smaller diameter and therefore less resistance. It's all simple high school physics!

Hiya -

I use both fluoro and braid for cranks.

Fluoro is very forgiving on a slightly stiffer rod. If you're going to use braid, you really have to have the right rod for it - a soft, parabolic action is a must or you'll pull hooks out or have fish toss the bait on a jump - especially with big baits like DT-16s or DD-22s.

I use fluoro for most of the season, then switch to braid in August when I start cranking deep coontail a lot. Braid's a lot better for ripping a bait out of the coon.

If you're having trouble losing fish with braid - it's not the line, it's the rod...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I use just braid, 40# super, on a 7' 0" All Star ASR cranking rod. Very soft, x fast tip, almost parabolic. I use a lot of lipless over weed and it's good for rippin through or over that stuff. I get grief from buddies for avoiding mono, fluoro, copoly, but i love the braid for crankin. If i'm not mistaken, I think Rick Clunn cranks with braid.

For a very good quality crankin' rod at an affordable price, try All-Star. The one I was talking about has an extra fast tip and and a medium action backbone. I tend to throw this one as often as a Loomis, great rod and I'm guessing its atleast half the price of a Loomis. Hope that can help someone out!