• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs Smallies

Juan Grande

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stait Meat,

Search his name + Mille Lacs on Google and you'll find his HSOforum. Either that or there's a link on Hunter's Point Resort's HSOforum as that's where he's guides out of.

I think his normal rates are $375 for 8 hours for three guys. We got his Craig's list special for $300. Not sure if he's still offering that though.

Was out there yesterday by myself and while I could not find them on beds (little algae bloom) I did still catch a LOT of nice fish. Some smaller ones unlike the last few times out, but only hit 2 rock reefs and caught well over 2 dozen fish..good times!

Caught them all on top of rock reefs. Couldn't get bit on topwater, was throwing a grub, caught a few fish, switched to a topwater nothing, went back to grub and caught them. Also caught a few on tubes on the breaks.

Im busy the next couple weekends but am up for a trip after that!

Man I struggled out there yesterday. I tok my parents out hoping to catch some ML brutes and only caught a handful. I must have been in the wrong spot. I tried everything. How deep did you find them Cecil? Were you on the S/SE end of the lake?

I've had success before in the spots I fished but I think I need to put more time on the water out there. It was so frustrating as my parents drove 3 hours to get there with nothing to show. I don't care about catching fish I always enjoy watching others I take out catch fish.

I launched from the Cove and headed east and worked my way back. Most of the spots I fished were marked with buoys. I assumed our lack of productivty was due to the spots I hit which were probably pressured all weekend as there not really top secret spots. After reading Cecil's luck maybe I just need to put more time in on that lake. I saw a decent number of fish but as you know most times if you see them its game over. Some were surfacing others were cruising some we drifted over. I tried everything tubes on top, on the drops offs, grubs, topwater, stick baits, drop shot, on top, on the breaks, etc.

I caught one 20" on a tube within the first 10 minutes, one other fish on a tube that my Dad managed, I also caught a couple on a drop shot, and one on a grub.

Cecil - do you fish the grubs on top? What size jig head? How deep do you try to run them? Maybe I need to be more patient with the spots I hit. I hit 6 different spots yesterday over the course of 8 hard hours.

Yes, on top, maybe off the edge if thats where they seem to be. But more often than not, top. I use a little heavier than I normally would when swiming a grub (1/4 oz head). The main reason for this is that I am able to stay off reef and make long casts to top, and cover more water. Depth the grub is at doesn't matter too much. As clear as that water is, if you are on top from 3-6 feet, they will come get it no matter where it is in water column.

I second the algae bloom, tougher to see but the ones I saw were schooling up on the west side of lake and cruising the surface--was out Monday---very calm and warm but fished another species instead. My friend was catching the smallies in deeper water (10-12ft).