• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR seeks input from trout anglers

SpikeRoberts

For those of you interested in influencing trout management this may be of interest:
DNR: Public Input Will Be Key to Future Trout Stream Management (2003-02-25)...

Public input will be at the heart of a Department of Natural Resources (DNR) process aimed at developing a coldwater management strategy for southeastern Minnesota trout streams....

A series of five public meetings will be held between March 25 and April 1 to solicit public input. Meetings are slated to be held at Frontenac, Winona, Rochester, Lanesboro and St. Paul. Dates and times will be released later...

For the complete news release see:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/releases/index.html?id=1046201302

I'll keep my eye out for the dates/times of the meetings and will post them here. Maybe trout anglers could discuss their needs and wants here and bring the 'collective' concerns to the meetings.

Dates and locations for five public open houses to discuss future management of southeastern Minnesota's coldwater streams have been announced by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

All open houses will begin at 5:30 p.m.. A formal presentation by DNR staff and a public comment period will follow beginning at 6:30 p.m.. Dates and locations are:

March 25 DNR Central Office Cafeteria 500 Lafayette Rd. St. Paul

March 26 Frontenac Sportsmen's Community Center 30301 Territorial Road Frontenac

March 27 Elks Club 4540 Service Drive Winona

March 31 Heintz Center (Tech College) 1926 Collegeview Dr. SE Rochester

April 1 Lanesboro High School Band Room 100 Kirkwood Street Lanesboro

Thankyou Spike!

I am VERY concerned with the S.E. Mn streams being polluted by future C.A.F.O.s or in layman's terms HUGE multi-thousand head farms! The manure containment systems these HUGE farms have are mult-football field sized for manure storage ALONE! The Karst geology in southeastern Minn is a MAJOR factor regarding below surface ground-water pollution also.
So, BOTH above(streams) and below(drinking/aquifers) water sources ARE a MAJOR concern towards pollution from HUGE CAFOs or Concentrated Animal Feedlot Operations in this area of the state now and in the future!!
Hope to see many trout fisher-folks at these meetings!

VOICE CONCERNS = PERSONAL GRATIFICATIONS

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Hey Smellzalil,

Spike HAS the time & date listed on the very top(1st list) of his announcement there above.
ALL meetings begin @ 5:30pm and date for the St. Paul meeting is March 25th, @ DNR Central Office Cafeteria 500 Lafayette Road, St Paul.
Be there fella...we need ya!

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

thanks lund man i will be there barring any major setback. look forward to meeting you.i have been reading your posts and you seem to have alot of history with trout run.. i started fishing the stream a few years back and it is a fine stream with a very nice trout population.. lets all take care of it!!hope to see you on the 25th

Smellzalil,

I will be attending the Rochester area meeting personally, as I live in S.E. Mn.
You were inquiring on the St. Paul meeting..? I am wondering which meeeting you are talking about attending at this point...Roch or St Paul?

Yes I do have many years of fine memories on "the Run" myself. 1st fished it in 1971 I believe. I owned land there directly on Trout Run until my wife's Dad sold his out...he owned the entire hill-side upstream from the "Lohman's Bridge... so we didn't have much point in keeping our property, other than the excellent fishing. But, with the up-keep and after "her" Dad moved to Arkansas, the feelings involved just going down there realizing Art was not there anymore...we decided to sell, and sold to our neighbor with the brown cabin upstream from "Lohman's Bridge".
Are you a veteran fisherman of Trout Run and the area also? Do you flyfish? I am an exclusive flyfisherman. SO enjoyable! smile.gif

Might see you at Rochester meeting or on "the Run" sometime (?)

Take Care Smellzalil!

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

hello lundman- ya sorry to confuse you i will attend the st paul meeting(i live in woodbury) and i do use a flyrod only- when fishing trout. i have been casting flys for around 14 years (not all that long but i am only 30).. i lived in the rocky ********s for about 10 of those and most of my expierence comes from those days. i am in no way a veteran trout run guy but i have fished it a dozen times or so, i enjoyed it alot although it seemed like alot of other people did to on the days i was there..perhaps i will see you there some time-grey dodge tall grey man right? good luck on the opener lundman

Smellzalil,

Yes, you WILL hardly ever be alone on "the Run" as it is one of the S.E. Minnesota's premier streams. In fact, on openeing weekend you will have a hard time finding a space to park your vehicle near the stream. I do love this stream and the area tho! It has been a integral part of my fly-fishing past without a doubt! I know all the "holes" by name and location from Buck-Snort Dam up-stream to the round barn. Used to be owned by 2 bothers last named Nichols. A very nice couple a farmers that are now gone, but well remembered. I have many happy memories from that area in these past 32 years I have been fortunate to have fished there!

Take care Bud and if you see my gray Dodge Ram (has a rear bumper-sticker): I love flyfishing- Blue Ribbon Flyshop, ******** Home, Arkansas on it, give me a hollar! smile.gif

Best of luck on the April Trout stream opener!

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

ya lundman i will look for you. sounds like you have lots of history with trout run. i would like to meet up sometime with ya and get a chance to learn more about the stream. sounds like you have a lot of knowledge to share about it. do get a chance to fish the white river chain in arkansas? i am thinking of maybe heading down for a few this fall and am just wondering what to expect.. thanks lundman we'll talk to you later

Hey smellsalil!

I f you do go to Arkansas, give me a hollar in here..I'll be happy to fill ya in on the "hotspots" on the White and Norfork rivers.

I usually use Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear wet-fly when I fish. Size 12 hooks and barbless. Get yourself a map of both rivers so you can mark the spots on it when I let ya know where...k?
The White is a bit less challenging than the Norfork has been these past several years. The "sow-bugs" in the Norfork have all but vanished compared to a few yrs ago. That WAS the "tie" up until their close to becoming extinct now. Best "Fall" timeframe for Arkansas is Nov./Dec. We usually go down Thanksgiving week and have a ball fly-fishing the White!

Hey Good Fishin my Friend! smile.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

i hear ya spike-**** boss would'nt let me out early and i missed it. wished i could have went to the st paul meeting though.. can you get the minutes or a written copy of what was discussed in the meeting? maybe the dnr has something like that. does anybody know?

smellzalilfishee,
I've only bveen trout fishing in MN about a half-dozen times in my lie so I'm not really qualified to comment on the plan. I just posted the info here because I thought those of you that do trout fish would be able to evaluate it and, hopefully, actively participate in rebuilding the future. If you think the plan is good, be sure to contact the DNR and let them know that -- public comment is not limited to attending the meetings.

It would be much easier on everyone if the DNR would FINALLY DO something as this!

I am in total agreement regarding the identification of each trout stream as a ENTIRE stream regs directed, instead of sectioning the streams with different regs per stretch.

For example:
Trout Run in S. E. Minn is one of several streams that has natural reproduction. This stream could then be regulated in regards to its natural reproductive trout. Or, as a "catch and take" regulated stream with a lesser tackle restrictiveness on it, and a max length and qty of "take". Let's say the entire stream mandates barbless single hook fishing.

Just my .02 wink.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Hey there Smellsalil!

I am in favor of ENTIRE stream management NOT, "this section use this, & that section use that" philosophy.

If the stream has certifiable natural repro then manage it as a catch & take with YES a slot and max numbers and maybe single barbless tackle...or similar.

What ya thinks? grin.gif

See ya Saturday? grin.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"