• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vermillion River

Renneberg

I'm strictly C&R when it comes to trout and not a live bait fisherman so,I'm curious.I've always heard that if you fish trout with worms,you better plan on keeping them because,they almost always swallow the hook.Is the same true with minnows?Mike

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with live bait dont let them take it very long. i have used minnows my whole life and barely ever gut hooked em. most are right in the corner of the mouth. usually when they first hit it, they suck it right in. it is usually very hard to use minnows if your walking alot though, expesially in heat. much easier to have a worm or rapala.

Troutman.....
It depends on how you fish, I caught over thirty trout on opener using worms, and only killed one by accident (gut hooked). And that was the one time I gave the fish a little time after feeling it.(Thought it was another chub that I caught on the previous cast, I'm sorry little Brookie) Usually, the hook is set right away, and I'll admit I miss a ton of fish doing it this way, but my ratio of lip hooked fish is pretty dang good.

[This message has been edited by Duffman (edited 04-24-2003).]

OKAY ENOUGH WITH THE MISS PRINT.
LETS GET DOWN TO WHY WE ARE HERE, ANYONE SEE ANY BIGGER TROUT?
I MOSTLY USE FLY'S SO I DON'T GET TO SEE THE BIG ONE'S UNLESS I CATCH THEM.
YOU GUYS THAT USE SPINNER'S, RAPALA'S AND BAIT MUST SEE A LOT OF BIGGER FISH.
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW.
I WAS OUT LAST NIGHT WITH SPIN GEAR AND CAUGHT 4. NICE NIGHT, THOUGHT IT WOULD BE SLOWER BUT WAS REAL GOOD.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

why don't you people just throw the fly and end this conversation. this site is so "PRO" plunker i can't even handle it any more. has anyone ever seen a flyfishing restricted river. never... they always restrict bait fishing and single hooks. trout unlimited has a good trout forum and i have not seen one mention of a dangling worm. take care plunkers and try to leave some of their guts behind...

Smells- I think your post smells, I almost strictly fish fly's but don't try to tell others what they should use. I'm sure the TU site has plenty of so called purist on it. what next, no nymphs, dries only. give me a break, stay at you TU site.

smellzalilfishee,

I am a little confused about your post? I guess I didn't see the thread or topic on "Pro" fly-fishing versus "Pro" spin fishing?

I have personally met and fished with many a fly guy. I have fly-fished. IN fact, many(fly-fisherman) visit and share solid info on this site. Instead of coming across negatively, why not share your knowledge of fly-fishing for those who might want to try it? Or open up valuable discussion with those who actually have a broad fishing background that use whatever technique they so choose when fishing for trout? Instead of turning them away?

When fishing for any species anywhere, it shouldn't be a matter of how anyone approaches catching or exactly how they fish. As long as they follow the law, understand the impact they have on a resource and practice selective harvesting, should it matter? I am very tired of this very old fly-fishing vs. other means of fishing scenario.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!(they all bend)

Jim W

AND ONE OTHER THING FELLAS BEFORE I GO TELL ME THIS--TAKE FOR INSTANCE THE GREEN RIVER IN UTAH THE REGS--- NO LIVE BAIT AND SINGLE HOOKS ONLY....... WHY?? WHY THESE REGS? CAN ANYONE ONE OF YOU TELL ME? AND FROM LIVING OUT WEST I CAN TELL YOU THAT MOST ALL RIVERS HAVE THESE REGS, AND MOST ALL THESE RIVERS ARE WORLD CLASS. HHMMMM COINCIDENCE.. I DO NOT THINK SO YOU SEE PLUNKERS DO MORE DAMAGE THAN THEY DO GOOD ON TROUT RIVERS AND THESE STATES HAVE FIGURED IT OUT AND NOW TROUT FISHING IS BETTER FOR EVERYONE.....

Maybe you should get back on that high horse of yours and head back west my boy. You see Fishing Minnesota is a PRO fishing site, not some elitist better than thou site. As long as it's legal and there is respect for the resource, I have no problem with the way people take fish.

The DNR is working on regs to appease the masses and improve the trout sizes in MN. That should make you happy, it'll give people who think their way is the only way a true fisherman takes trout somewhere to fish, and it also will give us lowlife worm dunkers a place to enjoy our method of persuing trout. To each his own.

[This message has been edited by Duffman (edited 04-25-2003).]

Smells, I don't think you can compair the Green River to any river in Minnesota, because the Green is as big as the Mississippi river. The bigger the river the more trout it can carry. So it only makes sences you catch more fish there.

I believe that those so called "dunkers" payed for a trout stamp, right.

What does the money for that trout stamp go for?

Stocking, habitat improvements.

If it wasn't for the stocking, many river in S.E. Minnesota wouldn't have any trout in them since natural reproduction is over all low in S.E. Minnesota. Habitat improvements help the river carry more trout and improve and maintain spawning areas.

Just so you know Smellzalilfishee when fly's were first invented it was common to tip the fly with a worm. It was very common up until the 19 hundreds or so.

I like to belive that it started out with a bait fishermen that tied a little bit of colored string to his hook and tipped it with bait(most likly a worm). After catching more and/or bigger trout than with a plan hook and bait he experimented with other colors, and there you have it fly fishing was born.

So in a weird way fly fishing started with a bait fishermen lookin to catch more trout for dinner.

I don't see how this site is PRO dunker. I haven't seen any post telling LUND-MAN or any other who only fly fish for trout to get off this site or say anything bad about the fact that they fly fish for trout.
I do how ever see alot of fly fishermen give non-fly fishermen a hard time souly based on the way they fish for trout.

Are you people still in kindergarden?

Once again to all fly fishermen out there. Keep those reports coming.
I'm still learning to fly fish for trout and your reports on what fly you were catching trout on help people like me figure out which ones work in Minnesota and which ones don't.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person out there that is learning from your reports.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

Smellz,
Next you will probably tell us it's wrong to keep a fish or two for dinner. I fish a bit in the northeast part of the state and most lakes are put and take. Is it wrong to take? Like others have said, there are many different ways of fishing. A flyfisherman can injure a fish, too. Playing it too long, releasing it with out reviving it, holding it too long for a picture or heaven forbid, cooking one. When I fish for trout, it is usually to eat. I try not to guthook, but I keep the fish I catch so what's the harm?

------------------
Erik

well you guys sure have a lot to say but your dancing around the question. why do so many rivers in this country make it illegal to fish with bait? come on now one of you guys can answer that. Renneberg, the green was just one example, and i'm not sure what green you were fishing but the green and the miss have very little in common especially size. NY and PA have many streams that resemble some of our streams but with a much healthier trout population {size and number wise} many of these streams restrict live bait use. why is this guys?. renneberg you must have some selective reading going on because right in this topic there is some fly fish bashing and i believe he was talking with the lund-man. all i'm looking for is an answer to my question------why are there so many trout rivers that make live bait fishing illegal??

Gentlemen..Gentlemen...AHHH..'tis GOOD to BE AMERICAN EH?

Let's ALL GO Fishin...Common Sense IS "The Rule". smile.gif Technique is "CHOICE" Let's ALL Have FUN Fishin! grin.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Smellzalilfishee you should of been at Trout Days. The DNR people there told us why they have the current regs the way they are and why its ok, and in some cases good for the trout population, to keep a few for a meal.

Movin on...

I cann't wait to go fishing tommorrow. A storm is heading in and it looks like its going to hit in the early morning. Fishing should be great.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

There's more sacrilage, shame and general wrong doing in not fishing than there is in any idividuals method (not an original quote of mine, I don't remember the source, maybe someone can help me out).

To stop dancing around the question why are there so many trout rivers that make live bait fishing illegal?? I'll take a stab at it. I might be wrong, won't be the first time and won't be the last so I don't mind if anyone disagrees. Here goes:

Probably because those rivers are not stocked. The native population is there to survive and reproduce on it's own. Maybe because those sources have been overfished in the past and that's those state's answer to hooking mortality and conservation.

I don't live in those states and I never will. I live in MN and if the DNR lets me fish using whatever bait I choose I'm gonna do it and I'm still OK. I know for a fact that they know more than me about fish populations and conservation.

I have no energy to expend worrying about how I look in other people's eyes and I've already put too much effort into this message. I'll fish the way my dad taught me and I'll be happy doing so.

Smell's - I'm not going to worry about how you feel about me or my fishing.

Renneberg,

Was the 3rd Annual Trout Day as excellent as Jim's past 2?
I would like to make this event some year but it is held on a day I have a tough time gettin away..the day after my birthday. Too many folks(family) around the house to just vacate at this time for me.

I'll work on it tho in the future...there's gotta be a way around NOT attending a guy's birthday gathering...isn't there? grin.gif

.....then again frown.gif Maybe not(?)

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

smellz chill
if you dont like minnesotas regulations move somewhere else. the people who fish worms n minnows plan on keeping their fish. nothing wrong with that.
to me fly fishing doesn't sound cool at all, i would rather use anything else on a spin rod. that is my choice, it is legal. the streams around here are great fisheries still, the only thing hurting them are habitat distruction and polutiion for the most part.
good fishin, know the rules abide by them, and we are all family on here dont attack us.