• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vermillion River

Renneberg

I got this e-mail from NAFC about the Vermillion river.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has designated 45 miles of the Vermillion River as a trout stream, prompting the state to spend millions of dollars to enhance and maintain water quality.

Some residents in nearby Farmington and Lakeville have criticized the amount of money being spent to protect trout, such as $50 million for a new wastewater treatment plant, $20 million to buy farmland in the Vermillion watershed and thousands more to maintain and build drainage ponds that prevent pollutants from entering the river.

Minnesota Trout Unlimited applauds the decision to safeguard the fishery. "Once it's gone, it's gone," said president Bob Lange.

Just thought people would like to know that now its a designated trout stream.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

On a ok day you'll tell your buddies the name of the hole.
On a good day you'll tell them the name of the river.
On a great day you'll tell them you went bowling.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep renneberg i am familiar with that. i have been fishing the river for quite some time and while i like to see protection for the river it sucks in a way that now it will probably turn in to combat fishing where as i could go many days without even seeing somebody. also these geniouses better put some good regs on the river because the population is not big enough to sustain the numbers that will probably start fishing it

I'd have to agree with you on that one.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

On a ok day you'll tell your buddies the name of the hole.
On a good day you'll tell them the name of the river.
On a great day you'll tell them you went bowling.

im very happy to hear that they're finally going to help out the browns and rainbows in the vermillion. the river is good for producing huge browns. One day i was on the section of the river about 3 miles down highway 66 and i ran into a DNR warden who was shocking fish. He told me that he shocked a brown that was over 40 inches. WOW>.i dont know if he was pulling my chain or not but thats a **** big brown. I have personally pulled out a 22 and 24 incher weighing 4.5 and 6 pounds.

I'VE FISHED THE VERMILLION SINCE THE LATE 80'S AND ONLY SEEN A VERY LITTLE INCREASE IN FISHING PRESSURE FROM PEOPLE. THAT'S ONLY IN THE MONTHS OF APRIL AND MAY. JUNE THROUGH AUGUST I RARELY SEEN ANYONE, BUT WITH THIS NEW DESIGNATION IT MAY GO UP SLIGHTLY BUT NOT ENOUGH FOR US REGULARS TO WORRY.
WHAT WE AS REGULARS NEED TO DO IS HELP THE LOCAL LANDOWNERS AND MONITOR THOSE THAT ABUSE THE PRIVILEGE OF FISHING THEIR.
REPORT OR TEACH THESE NEW FISHER PEOPLE THE RIGHTS AND WRONGS OF FISHING THIS RIVER, OR ELSE WE(REGULARS) WON'T HAVE A PLACE TO FISH.
ALSO I SPOKE TO THE DNR OFFICIAL IN THE VERMILLION AREA ABOUT THE SHOCKING REPORTS AND HE SAID THE BIGGEST THEY SHOCKED WAS ONLY 26". HE'S SENDING ME ALL THE REPORTS AND FISH STATISTICS FROM THEIR STUDIES SO I'LL BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT THEY ACTUALLY SHOCKED. THE RIVER IS KNOWN OF ITS LARGE TROUT SO ALOT OF RUMORS HAVE BEEN SPREAD ABOUT BIGGER TROUT. I BELIEVE THERES REALLY BIG TROUT BUT 40" IS A LITTLE EXTREME, DO YOU RELIZE HOW MUCH FOOD THAT SIZE OF A FISH WOULD NEED TO CONSUME JUST TO STAY HEALTHY, BESIDES THE RIVER HAD BEEN SUPPOSEDLY FISH OUT OR NOT MANTAINED SOMETIME BEFORE THE LATE 80'S.
WE CAN STILL SEARCH FOR THAT BIG ONE.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

yes most of the river mostly all of the river is wadeable but there are some deep pools. you would look like a fool if you fished it in a canoe.

I hope that since Minnesota Trout Unlimited is helping the river that all kinds of people are going to fish it because it live within a block of the river and i can go fishing without seeing anyone. I hope it stays that way. Although this opener there will be many people fishing it but mainly in town. ALSO i have a question has anyone else caught a northern or a largemouth bass out of the river, i pulled a nice 5 lb. northern and a little bass last year.

CANT WAIT TILL APRIL

I have a question for the regulars. I fished the river in town for the past couple of years and drove around up river trying to find other spots. But from what I have seen, most of it is against private land. Is there any part of the river besides in town that have a public easement?

KSW

yes most of the river is on private land. Most of that lands in farming fields. I fish up and down everywhere on the river on public and private property and i have never had someone yell at me for tresspassing. But it if you want to get to these areas it takes some walking.

Yes I've caught a few Pike and Bass some Smallmouth too, We've got to destroy the Pike, so I hope your keeping them.
They are extremely distructive to trout populations.
Also dosen't it suck to get bit off and lose three or four flies and then finally catch the fish, only to find out its a Pike, If I wanted to fish Northern Pike I'd go some where else, you know what I mean?
Anybody see any HUGE Rainbows in this river, huge meaning over 20".

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

no not to think about it i havent destroyed the northers but from now i will keep them. I havent seen any monster rainbows. THe biggest rainbow i've caught was probably 17 inches. Im pretty sure that the way rainbows got into the Vermillion is because during Mountain Dew Days which is a little festival they have a little trout pond dillio where you pay a buck to catch a fish. Well, every year they dump whatevers left in the river. ANd within the rest of the rainbows that they put into the river there is always one big one that no one could catch. So there must be a couple of brutes somewhere in there. ANd before i knew of them doind this i never caught any rainbows. also i only catch the rainbows within maybe a mile and a half from where they put them in.

ive never fished the vermillion and i live in rosemount go figure im gonna try it this year if you get a pike is the water good enough to eat the fish cause it would be a waste to destroy it for nothing that would be unsportsman like

Just would like some clarification please. I've tried calling the DNR, etc and had no success.

Is it legal to fish the Vermillion in the public parks in Farmington?

Why would it not be legal to fish the public parks in town? The city or county would have to have no fishing signs posted correct? Is this where people access the river and then walk up to other fishing spots? I'm assuming this river has the 'right of way' deal where you can walk within 10 feet of the streams edge or whatever?

SORRY SAY_DER MINNESOTA DOES'NT HAVE SUCH A LAW OR RULE, IF YOUR FEET ARE NOT WET YOUR TRESPASSING, UNLESS OF COURSE YOU HAVE PERMISSION AND OR IT'S PUBLIC.
THE DNR HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET LANDOWNERS TO BUY INTO A PROGRAM WERE THE LANDOWNERS GIVE EASEMENTS TO FISHERMAN AND THEY GET SOME TYPE OF BREAK ON TAXES.
I GUESS IT TAKES SOME TIME GET LANDOWNERS TO UNDERSTAND AND OR EVEN WANT TO ACCEPT THE PROGRAM, NOT EVERYONE LIKES US TROUT FISHERMAN.
I SPOKE WITH A FEW DNR REP'S THAT OVERSEE THE VERMILLION. IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT THEM LET ME KNOW I'LL GIVE A NAME AND NUMBER.

TS- you're right. I checked the maps and there is no stream side easement there. That's what I get for assuming things. My map is 2 or 3 years old, but after checking the DNR's web site, it looks the same. Shouldn't those be updated if changes are going on?

I wouldn't mind those numbers either. My email is [email protected]

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by say_der (edited 04-18-2003).]

Yes they should be updated, but there is nothing to updated. except the 20 miles of designation.
I really wish they would have that easement it would make it a lot easier, but I guess if I owned the land I might be a little sceptic on letting strangers in my back yard.
At least they stock all the fish in the public parks, since it takes a long time for the trout to venture away from the place they were stocked. So fishing is good in the parks if you can get around the people.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"