• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trout seasons

smellzalilfishee

nothing is wrong with a person that fishes with live bait. It must just be that all people have better to do is whine about people using live bait. I dont know about anyone else but im sure live bait is the best and natural way to fish. "MATCH THE HATCH" well how better at matching the hatch can you be if you use exactly what the fish are eating? I also believe that sometimes the only way to catch a big one is to use live bait. A fish doesnt get big being stupid. AND how is it that baitfisherman cause problems for rivers? WORMS CANT CONTAMINATE A RIVER.
ALSO I THINK PEOPLE THAT ONLY FLY FISH ARE EGOTISTICAL !! because they're stuck in that idea that they're the best and they're better than anyone else because thats what ive noticed. THE reason is, is that most of these guys tend to have a lot of money. NOTHING IS WRONG WITH FLY FISHING its the fly fisherman who are conceided.(SPELLING?)

-Ben this message has been edited because parts of it were offensive, cuss words are not appropriate even when they are not spelled out completely or correctly.

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 03-12-2003).]

yes trout mostly eat insects. But have you ever seen a trout deny a worm. I dont think i have and everytime i catch a trout on a worm they tear it to pieces. I believe that when youre fishing for browns a worm cant be beaten by anything. No matter what a brown will take a worm. IF they're inactive(which is rarely the case) it might take a little longer but theyll take it. If theyre hungry you cant put it in there face but 5 seconds and the gobble it right up.

Fellow Trout Fishing-folks,

I am a fly-fisherman and personally do not take myself as egotistical, nor conceited in any sense. I am thinking ben04 is merely a bit intimidated by fly-fisherman because they have tendancy to use high-dollar equipment, are a bit over-dressed on the streamside, and are actually "into trout" in-depth more...As in entomology knowledge. And this is due to the fact that flyfishing people have to use more knowledge of what a trout "has for supper" because flyfishing is a "match the hatch" technique of fishing. Flyfishing is so rewarding if only for the fact that the fish is caught on a lure(fly) that is personally manufactured by the flyfisherman himself.
It IS the "key" to flyfishing...fooling the fish with YOUR TIED FLY, and allowing the release of the fish also.

Do you live near the S.E. Minn streams area Ben? If so, I'd like to intorduce you to flyfishing personally sometime this Spring to allow you the experience of it, buddy. Be happy to meet you on "the Run"(my favorite stream) sometime!
Afterall, we are all in this for PERSONAL enjoyment...not for ridicule of technique.

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

...howz bout the "OPENER" Ben? Meet ya on "Trout Run" then? At 12 NOON..Lohman's Bridge...is 1st bridge ABOVE "Bucksnort Dam".
I drive a Dodge Ram, dark gray with topper. Be parked near bridge...space granting?

Let me know...I will NOT be conceited nor egotistical...that is NOT ME!

I will merely allow you, or personally help you, with the flyfisherman's tool, the flyrod,(mine) and how it and the fly catch trout. Very simple...NO STRINGS attached Bud.

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

ben first of all to each his own-and i have seen trout deny worms many of time, but i agree it can be very effective. my largest inland trout was a 28 inch brown released into a wisconsin river, i consider that to be a large trout and it was taken on the fly. i have no problem with other methods of fishing do what you enjoy but the stereotypes of all flyfishermen are definately innaccurate. take the lund-man up on his offer, i think you will enjoy it- trout run is a very nice stream. i will tell you from expierence because i have used both methods, it will be a hole new rush--- good luck

i live in empire township which is right outside of Farmington. ITs actually considered part of farmington. I live within 200 yards of the river and i fish it constantly. I am 17 years old which might be a surprise to you guys since you probably thought i was an adult. So where is this trout run? I might be interested in fishing it. you guys might think its a joke because you might think that im not that good of a fisherman. You'd be surprised to see how good of an angler i am. Ive been fishing ever since i have been able to walk and i have caught about every fish in minnesota in the trophy size. ANd i consistently pull big browns out of the vermillion.

Ben,

Age is not a factor, nor is technique of troutfishing to me. "Whatever sinks yer line" works fer me Bud!
I am 50 yrs old(no I don't know it all) and love to flyfish trout since 1971, when my WIFE (I know you're smilin!) 1st taught me how to flyfish...that oughta cool things huh?
Actually my father-in-law got me into flyfishing(Art Lohman). Art is a VERY well known Trout Run stream area personality. Ask any locals down there and they will remember Art by his seriousness towards Trout Run environmental improvements. He lives near Mountain Home, Arkansas now tho. Which is where the World Record Brown trout has been registered. OVER 48 lbs worth of fighting "Gold"! Actually this fish was caught in southern Arkansas off the Little Red river, but just a couple months prior to this fish a 42lb German Brown was caught where we fish, near Art's home on the Norfork River of the White River System in north Arkansas. Just imagine, 2 browns caught in the same state, within the same year and BOTH OVER 40 lbs each. And THAT is why Art moved there...Go figure!
I have been flyfishing in Arkansas and Montana since 1980's. We(Art and my wife of 30 yrs, and my son) go out to Montana flyfishing each year in late August. It is a grand time with family that is spread out so much. We camp in S.W. Montana right on the edge of Hebgen Lake Reservoir, which is part of the Madison River system. We fish for trout they (locals) call "gulpers" because there are so many trout feeding on the calibaetis hatch each and every morning that the water actually looks like it is boiling(remember it is a lake actually and is glass-smooth at this time in morning)with trout feeding. There are browns, bows, and cuts all 3 here. All average 18-20 inches in length, which weigh-in at approx. 3lbs plus each also.
So, just a bit of "history" freom the Lund-Man's trout (flyfishing) adventurous past there.

The offer yet stands also Ben! Trout Run..."Opening Day".. at Lohman's Bridge, 12 noon..look for dark gray Dodge Ram with Leer topper(same color). I am 6'6" and a graying old fart, remember I'm 50 yrs old(don't want to scare you) so you know kinda how I will look now smile.gif My son (age 28) may be with me also. He is also a "mother/grandfather taught" flyfisherman. So...let me know Ben...."YO or NO"...whichever!
Be happy to present the world of flyfishing stream-trout to you with a very friendly but knowledgeable, stream-side presentation. Where better to learn Ben?
Take care and will be checkin for your reply....remember NO strings, "yes or no".. makes no difference to me. I WOULD like to see you there tho...to allow you the enjoyments of streamside flyfishing at its best(weather permitting) altho I usually will fish in rain also...bring rainsuit(for insurance against) smile.gif

If "yes"..I will answer again with directions to this "one of Minnesota's finest" trout streams....ok?

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Ben04, I would take LUND-MAN up on his offer. It's not every day that to experience fly-fishermen is willing to take a stranger fish.

I don't think its right that you run your mouth about how bad fly-fishing is until you have at lease fished with a experience fly-fishermen.

Like the old saying goes 10 percent of anglers catch 90 percent of the fish. Those 10 percent, have fished for the fish they target most often, in every way that that fish can be caught.

I'm a die hard spin fishermen, but I know when to put down the spinning rod and pick up my fly rod.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

yes i release most of the big browns on this river. So where exactly is this trout run. How far from Farmington and how do i get there. P.S. i know how to use a fly rod, I have been fly fishing for about 2 years now. Im ok with a fly rod but not great. Also what kind of trout are in this river? What size to they average? Does this river have waterfalls, big deep pools, rapids, etc? Does this river get crowded? I mean are there people lined up all along the bank? I dont like fighting against people to catch a fish or worry about where i cast because i might tangle lines with someone. I will probably take you up on your offer i dont know yet for sure though.

OK Ben!

I see in your reply you are at least interested. smile.gif
I don't have the time to give strategic direction now but pull up "MapQuest" on the "net" and load in your town ...Farmington to destination, Chatfield. Then I will be in here again to direct you to the exact location on "The Run" that I usually frequent. And being the "opener" it probably will be a bit crowded also...not to scare ya off tho either.

Catch ya in here later...gotta go to work frown.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"