• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What happened to GULP?

Tom7227

It seems to me that last year there was thread after thread about GULP - does it work, what do I do when the juice is gone, etc. This year I can't say that I've seen much on it at all. I am wondering if it has lost it's appeal, isn't the 'hot item' this year, or if everyone has learned all they need to know about it. I've had some but haven't really given it much of a try so I have no opinons or thoughts. It just intrigues me to think that it was so hot 12-24 months ago and now it seems that there's nothing, including a lack of ads for it.

Thoughts?

It seems to me that last year there was thread after thread about GULP - does it work, what do I do when the juice is gone, etc. This year I can't say that I've seen much on it at all. I am wondering if it has lost it's appeal, isn't the 'hot item' this year, or if everyone has learned all they need to know about it. I've had some but haven't really given it much of a try so I have no opinons or thoughts. It just intrigues me to think that it was so hot 12-24 months ago and now it seems that there's nothing, including a lack of ads for it.

Thoughts?

I still use gulp it has its aplications... I would not throw it away if it dries up, you can always add other types of scents to it, for example, I bought some of the new trigger X spray and I have added that to some of my plastics. I will pull out a couple different types and then put them on a seperate bag and add some trigger X to it and use that, I have had some mixed results but it is something different to try. I think that every year there are new and better things that come out and people will try that but I know there are people that will live and die by using gulp.

ALL-IN

I'm a fan of Gulp. Is it the greatest thing next to the ball point pen or bratwurst? No. Does it have it's place? Sure it does. Just like any other lure or bait, it has it's place.

Bratwursts?? I have heard of sliced bread but never a bratwurst! LOL laugh

ALL-IN

I think bratwurst taste much better smile

I second that!!! However, the GULP commercials say that you can we activate the gulp by dipping it back in the tub of liquid... does that work the same for a Johnsonville??

ALL-IN

it's not a big deal cause everyone who has gulp has a 300 count tub I use the leech and minnow against real thing and on a real light bite real thing works better but I keep a razor knife in the boat and I split 2/3 of the gulp in 1/2 causing it to wave and flutter and have triggered even the light bite nice part about gulp is I open the tub and don't have to throw half of the rotten dozen away and I always have some handy to use

I haven't used anything except gulp alive. I did very well using it for saugers this spring. I will be giving the night crawlers a whirl in the fall. I purchased live bait twice in the last year! Its so much easier to have artificial bait that's ready to go any time you are!!

I love the Gulp minnows. Crappies, bass, pike... even walleyes, but my lake is not a walleye haven. I like the 3" minnows in Shad. I actually like the bags of gulp better than alive. They seem tougher and are easier to use out of bags, though I do throw the used ones into the Alive juice if they aren't torn up too bad. Those tubs are worthless and spill and the handles keep coming off...

I bought a scoop of fatheads last weekend, and of course, they died on me... I tried to make sure that I acclimated them to the lake water properly, but my air leaked out and I didn't remove the bag quick enoguh, my own fault. $3 down the tube. My $$ is better spent on Gulp that doesn't die smile

winter ice fishing the Gulp maggots out produce real ones or real waxies about 10 to 1 for me.

Last year I tried a Gulp experiment at a lake in Canada during a hot bite. I used Gulp and my buddy used minnows. The minnows out produced 2 or 3 to 1. I used it head to head again on LOW during a cold front bite and again the minnow won out. I've caught some fish on Gulp and I'm not going to throw it away, but I won't be buying it again.

On a hot bite, I love my Gulp. I agree with others that it is great for Canada or similar situations, but I don't have a lot of confidence using it in pressured lakes for walleyes. I prefer Gulp (or Powerbait) grubs and minnows for pannies to live bait.