• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summertime Stuff

Back from a week in canada and a night at the AW household - need to go back to work to rest up.

The weather and fishing were very good. It rained a bit on sunday and the rest of the week was great. Surface water temp was 80 by the end of the week so swimming was quite nice. The eyes were a tad picky for the first few days but we worked and picked at em hitting numerous spot on the spots. About tuesday the weather stabilized and they came easier. Smallies were always available and Tank and I found a school of big gills in 20 foot of water...

Most were nice 15 inch eaters...

076eti.jpg

Beths first jigging lesson and it didnt take long...

081zcw.jpg

The gills were picking up 3/8th oz bucktails then when switched over to small stuff they were real easy...

089jxh.jpg

255kkg.jpg

Most were 9 inch class fish but a few topped out bigger...

254dry.jpg

The last day Tank caught these two on back to back casts, 23 and 24 inches...

111trd.jpg

112svy.jpg

My sister got the biggest with one a tad over 2 feet. I'll have to get that picture from her.

Also got to stretch out the new flyrod with plenty of smallmouths...

228fym.jpg

176axy.jpg

I also be-friended this guy...

273x.jpg

Lots more pictures to put up but tomorrows another day...

Lee - nice job on the fishes. You use that camera at all on the open water?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good time DC.

Momma and I took katie to Sylvan beach yesterday. Lots of people there that had Absolutely no business wearing bikinis sicksick. But on a better note.. I saw lots of ducks and geese cruizing at tree top height. Made me realize that early goose opens in just a couple short weeks. time to wash the decoys and get ready to WHACK some honkers gringrin.

Lee . . .show me the magic!! Hey how about those license increases??!!! I think it is insulting to us for the state to charge us for doe permits when the reason they have those permits is to do the state a cost effective service to thin the herds. I think someone in the accounting department (probably from NYC) forgot about that. And to top it off, it is nonrefundable.

It looks as tho the early goose season is finaly upon us. cool I will be out in the finisher blind well before sunrise tomorrow am trying to coax in some of the local canada goose population.. From my scouting and other reports ive gotten you should here the Bennelli barkin right around 645 am. Sending a stream of 3 1/2" drylock into the heads of a few unsuspecting honkers. grin Good luck to anyone else who may be going out in the am..

TAKE'EM BOYZZZ

Cali, good luck on the goose hunt wink the problem is you cannot knock down enough of those defacating honkers, the season should be open all year round with however many you can drop within a days time.That opinion would still not keep the population down!!!! crazy

Todd, you are correct. There are so many locals lately we should have an august season too grin. This mornin did not go as planned. All though I had my scouted fields all to my self There was a guide and his clients about a 1/2 mile away on the other side of the valley between the roostin water and me that my birds usually fly. Needless to say all the birds went over there first as the the farmer that owns those fields was cutting oats yesterday afternoon. There must have been 8 guys shooting at everything from ground level up to nose bleed heighth. All but one flock went back to roostin water after being shot at. Oh well ill give it another shot soon..

Well there are a few less birds in the area as the group here has harvested about 50 so far. Great hunting opening morning with the ROQUE KID and nephew Jeff.First flock of 9 birds in and 9 on the ground. Had a nice visit with the local DEC officer too. Had another couple days of good shooting with a 11 bird day also. Hope to reach the 100-150 birds in sept alone.Be safe at all times.

Finally got to put the hammer down on some BUZZARDS this mornin. We set up in a partially chopped corn field in which we watched birds go into yesterday morn. Talked to the right people to gain access and we were in. Set up around 2 dozen decoys and were ready to shoot at 6:30am. Course with the cool night it took the birds a little longer to get up off the water. First flock came over the trees at about 7:30am and set right up giving us 20 yrd bunny shots and the game was on. they just kept coming in flock after flock and when the majority of birds had come thru at 8:30 we had 16 of them on the ground. Picked up a couple stragglers thru 9:30 and called it a day. Got one banded bird from the group and a lot of meat in the freezers..

IMG00221-20090920-0959.jpg

IMG00225-20090920-1021.jpg

Shot 9 more geese yesterday am and got skunked today. Ive got my first batch of goose jerky in the dehydrator. Couple more hrs and itll be ready for the taste test. Anyone ever done this before? ive got 3 breast sets in the freezer if anyone is interested...

Thats the only thing i used to make with geese and flight ducks.Soy sauce worcestershire sauce garlic and liquid smoke and a tad of brown sugar and red pepper flakes ...mmmm.I just mad my last batch of venison jerky ,man it doesnt last long with the 4 kids.Goin up tomorrow to kick some salmon arse heard their in good now!

Shot 9 more geese yesterday am and got skunked today. Ive got my first batch of goose jerky in the dehydrator. Couple more hrs and itll be ready for the taste test. Anyone ever done this before? ive got 3 breast sets in the freezer if anyone is interested...

I don't want to sound negitive I have had goose, duck,chicken,turkey in many different ways of jerky and I think they taste horrible sick in that form just my opinion.

Thats the only thing i used to make with geese and flight ducks.Soy sauce worcestershire sauce garlic and liquid smoke and a tad of brown sugar and red pepper flakes ...mmmm.I just mad my last batch of venison jerky ,man it doesnt last long with the 4 kids.Goin up tomorrow to kick some salmon arse heard their in good now!
What do you use for bait to catch those MUD SHARKS laughlaughwhistle

Lol just the imitat. eggs.caught alot of salmon today mostly cohos in the am followed by the kings late.Did hook a monster king with a 18" lamphrey stuck to him.Thats actually what i hooked was the lamphrey ,was a cool sight to see the king bust out of the water wit h a big eel flop around like a snake. fun day!!

Originally Posted By: iceman1603

I don't want to sound negitive I have had goose, duck,chicken,turkey in many different ways of jerky and I think they taste horrible sick in that form just my opinion.

Todd, my goose jerky tastes almost the same as the venison jerky we ate in the spring.. stop by and ill let ya try some. If theres any left gringrin