• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vermilion River, Farmington area

Grum

Just wondering if anyone has been down to the Vermilion River in the Farmington area? I'm kinda new to fly fishing and haven't fished that much for trout. Curious about the river level, if its walkable or shore fishing only in that stretch? Any information about the fishing there would be great. Thanks.

The area around Farmington is not that good for fly fishing there are not that many open areas to cast.

Most guy's I run into are iether wishing with worms or throwing spinners.

Sifty

i live right by the vermillion. the best time to fish is on opener. right after they stock them you can chase schools of 30 fish or more! the things were quite a pest while i was targeting carp, so i brought my flyrod one day, and i have a new passion.

this time of year is really tough beacuse most of the trout are spread out and tough to find. Also, this time of year the vegetation is way over-grown and you have no room to even roll cast. i would suggest pike or carp fishing this time of year

If you are new to fly fishing I don't think the Vermillion is a good place to practice. There are trout but they are far and few between and you need to know where the good areas are. Many people give up on this river because they get skunked more times than they catch fish. Plus it is tough going. Quicksand mud, log jams, thick brush. It's not for the faint hearted.

I suggest trying some of the more classic trout streams in SE:

MN trout stream maps

Whitewater State Park or Hay Creek (pasture section) would be excellent places to start.

Quicksand mud, log jams, thick brush. It's not for the faint hearted.

haha that is true. whenever i take people back there they usually tell me that i am crazy for putting my self through all the pain it takes to get to one good spot