• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pit Lake Trout

KokanEEgold

Hey all,
I am new to this site. I am extremely happy to see the number of people that fish the GR area for Trout. I am heading over to Pit Lake this weekend. Has anyone fished it lately, or do you know how others have been doing?

Thanks

Eric

I have fished that every weekend since opener really slow i have only caught 2 but it should pick up somtime this year so good luck i should be out there sunday look for a small four wheeler with a frabill behind it.

Wow, that was quick!
I am looking to catch any kind of trout.
I have fished Caribou, Kremer, Pit, and lucky, as well as many rivers along the north shore. I fish mostly trout in the winter time. I am aiming for a few lakers or Splake this weekend. I have done well in the past at all of these places but I have not been out for trout this year yet. I have been going for Crappie mostly.
I will be looking for you Rolls!
I am not sure yet what I will have with me for transpotation but I will have either a 2 or 4 person blue clam. I usually head towards the right side coming from either access.

I take 61 East and then take a left on this unplowed road which heads accross a snowmobile trail and goes to a access towards the end of the lake. I may just plan to get there early as well. If there isn't much action I may head to Caribou. Another guy on another board had mentioned that he caught a couple nice Splake out of there last Sat. I may try a little bit of everything! What do you usually use on Pit? I like a couple different things. I am planning to try a pearl Power Bait tube jig with a pink head inside it maybe put a little salted minnow on it. Not sure yet.

Rollz, You got it all wrong, the Wabler tipped with a lively chub and a waxy. Hehe. Seriously though, if dat trout is hungry he'll eat anything, Rollz likes to run around without any bait and he even gets em. It doesn't hurt to add some scent on there though. I like to use a nice shiny spoon when the sun is out, flashes real good, same with a shiner, it has that same flash. Give em what you got and they'll eat it if they're willing.

good fishin

Just an update:

I headed over to Pit on Sat. morning. There really were not that many people there. I guess the cold scared a few away. Anayways, I set up around 8 am I dropped a Pearl power tube jig down about 72 feet and continued to set up. In about 5 minutes I noticed one coming up on my jig. He bit at it, and dove down and came back and hit it again. The fish did this for several minutes. I just wasn't able to hook him! Theyt were not soft bites either. I can only think that my bait must have been too big. Anyways, after that, the rest of the day was dead. A great start to some slow fishing! They have not seen the last of me!

Rollz, I did look for ya, couldn't tell which one was you. It seemed like everyone had 4 wheelers. Maybe next time.

------------------
EJE

I also went out on Caribou on Sun. I started in about 25ft. of water which I thought was too shallow. However, the house next to me was in 18ft of water and had already caught one 2.5lb laker!! Wierd huh. Anyway, I did catch a very nice "slab" Perch anyhow. But after two hours I decided to move into deeper water. The other house did as well. Neither of us even saw a blip on our Vexilars. I guess that is the way it goes. I think that warmer weather earlier last week brought a little action, which was shut down by the cold again this weekend. None the less, It was still fun. A Terrible day of fishing is always better than a good day of work!

------------------
EJE

This lake is very clear, you can watch fish at least 20 feet down, your jig usually further. Nearly every time I'm out there I see at least a couple fish. One thing I've observed is that all those little bites that you all aren't hooking are those little guys that have been dumped in there within the past few years. They can hardly fit that minnow in your mouth. Every once in a while, the larger trout will give you that same little tap, it could be a smack of their tail or their head just charging into it, but that fish will usually give you a catchable oppurtunity. If you keep getting those little taps, chances are it's just a youngin. A major mistake made on this lake is going too big with your jigs. I run about a 3 inch wabler and usually a walleye-sized demon, I usually only go bigger if I'm trying to attract. I've had days out there where me and Rollz have caught 20 or more of those little guys. Just keep moving around until you get into a nicer fish.

good fishin

I have been in a dark house on Pit where I was able to see my jig flash at over 70 ft! No kidding, I clocked the depth with my Vexilar.

I have caught a couple of those little ones, and boy are they small. But none the less, they are still fun to catch.

I really have not had much luck finding decent size on Pit. I mainly go there cause it is such a cool lake.

------------------
EJE

Try using a red and white Heddon Sonar. Jig it hard enough so you feel it flutter and drop it back. Has worked well for me and seems to pull them in from a distance.