• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

well, each state regulates/manages its resources as they see fit. I am quite happy the way our GF&P do thier job without the interference of state legislators. Every year the GF&P announces season dates, limits, changes to laws, etc and solicit public in-put. West River and East River do have different quotas and lottery precedures for non-res. COULD be that there is less public land or resource numbers or land owner's desires, I dunno. One of these days I'll talk to GF&P and ask why it is so different on that side of the MO. River. One man's "bunk" could be another man's satisfaction the way I think Texas style of hunting is bunk.

You would think that with the success of pheasant hunting for non-residents in SD, that they would try to offer the same type of opportunity for deer on the eastern side of the state. Only reason I bring up the discussion is that I lived in Huron for 14 years, went to SDSU, graduated and moved out of state. I hunted in Hand county south of Miller. Just would like another shot to hunt that area again for horns.

It would be nice if they even set 25 tags aside a year for Buck/Doe or Any Deer for non-residents to enter into the lottery. Sure, make the fee what it needs to be to justify the expense of setting that up but give us non-res'rs a chance to go back and maybe spend some $ in SD.

Just find it difficult to justify spending the money to go out there to shoot a doe...

I would be interested in taking a look at other states non-resident regulations but that is for another thread.

just for conversation sake. Pheasants/deer are apples and oranges, in a way. The way it is now with 100,000 or so non res coming in for birds with the deep pockets has just about drummed the residents outta places to hunt. I don't hunt em but alotta my buds do and they don't even think about going til the non res smoke is cleared and that's primarily on public land becaused 99% of private land is sold out to non res folks. Could I see that happening with deer? Yes, it has been happening, in a way, for some time now. I know guys who have, for generations, hunted deer/antelope on private land but when Ma & Pa pass away the kids see $$$$$ signs for the few non res tags charging exorbant fees. Ya see, it's easier to make money during a hunting season then run the cattle operation all year long. Look at how messed up the hunting in Colorado is now with non res. I'm a very pleased the way our meager elk herd is managed.

First out I agree that you can't compare bird and deer hunting. First out South Dakota will sell as many licences as they can print for birds but will sell only what the DNR sets for herd control on deer. So I really cannot see 100,000 deer hunter loading up the state during the season. Secondly the only Non- Res permits are non issued left over tags. Now if there were a couple of Buck tags per unit for non- res folks that might let some juys come in for a crack at one or better yet let some family member reliitives get together for a hunt. Next time a land owner complains about his crops being eaten by deer you might want to give us Non-Res folks a chance to hunt. There also could be a set up where you set up a area to hunt to get a tag.

I can understand your feelings on the matter but, it still boils down to what is set by our GF&P. I guess a guy could call Pierre and find out why there are so few west river tags and why east river is different. Maybe I'll do that too. I'm not saying that non res aren't welcome but, face it, the state considers its residents first and foremost. I fish Big Winnie every year with some buds from the Albert Lea and abide by the rules of that state. We don't have a closed season on bass or walleye as you do. Your slots are different as are the possesion limits. That's how the state operates, that what I go by.

I believe the residents should have first choose on the deer tags. Most of the SD residents are here because of the hunting and fishing. It's not for the big wages we get paid out here.

SD has a different idea on controlng the deer herd. They want people to shoot does. There ussually is more doe tags than any-deer tags in a unit. That's why all the any-deer tags are gone come the second and third drawings.

This is an interesting statement. During the nearly 20 years I lived in Huron I never ran into anyone that lived in SD just becasue of the fishing and hunting. When the outfit anyone worked for out there closed their doors they were the first on the bus heading to greener pastures.

I would believe that folks would rather live out there because of the tax structure. But anyway, it would be nice if the DNR would set aside 5 tags for Non-res folks and if they didn't sell them set up some kind of way to get them to a guy that missed on the draw. All I'm saying is that Minners and myself have some very close friends out there that we had some great times with deer hunting, and it would be a hoot to have another chance to do that. I live in Wisconsin now and haven't loaded nor bought a license since I moved back. It's just not the same as it was hunting out in South Dakota. I can say that we took a lot of deer in the 20 years and all were clean kills and NOTHING was wasted. There's a bunch of great people out there

SD has already sold out pheasant hunting to the highest bidder, why do the same with the rest of our resources? I really love the way SD manages their deer. Absolutly no need to shot a buck just to justify coming out deer hunting. If one needs a any deer tag that bad just apply west river.

I think SD GF&P wants to thin the doe population out and let the bucks grow for a while. I don't think this is a bad idea and will wait until the left over tags are available and take a doe. I don't blame anyone for wanting to take a buck, but the does need to be thinned out also. It is getting to the point that you can hardly drive after dark without collecting a doe on your front bumper. The area where I hunt is still under about four feet of water and I will have to hunt elsewhere this season.

I like the way SD manages for deer. If you want to hunt for bucks with your any deer tag you can. If you are a self proclaimed meat hunter you can buy your doe tags and do your thing. If you are a non resident and want to hunt East River learn to bow hunt. I have hunted East River a couple of times during the firearms season with a bow and it is exceptional. If I still had a place to go I would be there.

From what I understand it takes a few years for most residents to earn preference for a rifle tag East River. If you put the non-residents in the mix that might create even more hard feelings and reduced land access for everyone.

I wish MN would manage bucks the way SD does.