• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SE Minnesota Trout Lakes

Fish Forever

Does anyone know of any designated trout lakes in southern Minnesota. I've never trout fished, but this year I decided to give it a try. I love to fish everything else so this might be my next challenge. I live in Eagan but have family in Rochester. Any help on trout lakes would be great. If I actually catch one of any size this weekend does anyone have any tips on how to prepare a trout. I heard you can really screw up a good fish if you don't do it correctly.

There are several trout lakes in the metro. Christmas lake just south of Mtka., Square Lake north of Stilwater, Little Long Lake, Cenaiko Lake at the Coon Rapids Regional Park, Near St. Cloud there is Big Watab Lake, and there is a 9 acre pond behind the Chaska Courthouse. The largest fish are in Christmas Lake. Every Winter, almost weekly someone catches Rainbows over 8 lbs. It is a tough bite though. Best bet is between 3-8 feet under the ice. Most trout lakes are very clear and we have seen them swim through quite often.

I like to cook my trout on the grill seasoned with lemon pepper and olive oil, wrapped in tin foil. If you want to really keep it moist, put a teaspoon of water in the foil before you put it on the grill.

[This message has been edited by iceman13 (edited 01-14-2003).]

Fish Forever,

There is a "lake"/ "pond", "pit" stocked with trout right in Rochester.

Foster Arends Park. Your relatives should know how to get there.

Ice fishing?

Go shallow or just below the ice. Shallow = less than 4 feet.

Spoons or anything real flashy. Think stream trout fishing when presenting.
Make sure you stop over at "Hooked on fishing" bait and tackle on HWY 63 North just a couple miles from Foster Arends!
MIke will give the lates and greatest on Foster Arends as well.

Preparing Trout?
I haven't found a way I like better than simply grillin.

Try coating a fresh trout with mayonaise/Miracle Whip.(this prevents fish from sticking to grill.

Get some hot coals going and cook about 5 minutes per side. Easy!!! Add whatever, lemon juice etc. I like Cajun seasoning myself!!!
* Once the meat starts appearing dry(er) and flaky, turn/flip

More questions feel free to hop on!!!

Jim W