• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

state record ?

LoonState

Say you were to catch the state record catfish, channel or flat. Would you take pic's, measurements and release? Or would you have it certified as a state record? Saw this question on a different forum and thought it would be interesting to see what the catfish guy's would do in this situation.

yea, on the same page as you. Just not sure i could bring myself to hurt a fish that has been around as long as me if not longer. I am pretty sure there would be a lot of pics and measurements being taken.

Very true point, but I think I would be plenty satisfied knowing I caught a monster fish that's bigger than the state record. Many, many pictures would be taken though of every single angle but I would make sure that fish swims away in just as good of condition as before.

Likewise! CPR for sure, I would have to take as many pictures as I possible could, and measure the [PoorWordUsage] outta the thing, then I would be tempted to get a fiberglass mount made of it eatin a bullie, probably use the hook I caught it on too in the mount lol ... might as well cough up some dough for a once in a lifetime fish! But i would never jeopardize the life of the fish just so I could be on a list of names that would eventually be broken anyways, not worth it to me, and I'm sure Mr. Flattie would agree smile

"The taxidermist's gonna have a heart attack, when he sees what I brung him!"

-Captain Quint, Jaws

But seriously, I gravitate to the CPR mindset as well. When it comes to keeping fish, I only keep eaters of whatever species I'm fishing, and never more than one meal. I fish for fun, I'm not out trophy hunting or trying to sustain my food supply.

To me it's not worth killing the fish to get my name in the books for a few years. I'm not judging anyone else who does that, just stating my personal MO (since you asked! smile ).

Quite honestly we are in a day of age in which the electronic media probably surpasses that of an actual “record book”.

Personally myself I would much rather have a decent video and a bunch of pics and the knowledge that the fish is still out there swimming.

Here’s what I would do. I would take as many stills and or video to show without a shadow of doubt the size of the fish. Electronically document length and girth and probably throw it on a scale for even more verification. In the case that I was by myself I would have to evaluate if it would make sense to tie the fish up until another person could give me a hand with it. Sometime conditions may warrant that, other times maybe not.

Then I would watch it swim away.

If you take one so/so picture of it and then later make claims of a record, expect it to be questioned by everyone. Such as the case with the famous Zumbro Channel cat last year. smirk

No way would I keep it. I'd treat it like it was a newborn baby. Personally, I don't know the names of anyone who has caught a record fish in Minnesota. I do however, remember a picture in a forum about a record shovelnose.

Like Darren said, it is a different day and age. I'd also get a replicate of it made because it would be a nice reality check once in a while to see 'feel' how large the thing was and also to give people who visit a better idea than what they can get from pictures.

and probably throw it on a scale for even more verification.

I agree with everything you say although I'd weigh it first and then measure. wink

I've been fish for catfish almost exclusively since 1994 and I have never killed one. I would feel much worse, in the long run, about killing a state record than I would ever feel good about catching it.

Yeah, you are probably right about the weight thing, since the record is actually based on poundage and we are talking about the record here grin

I shouldn't say that I would probably throw it on a scale, if it was suspected to be anywhere near that 70lb mark, I'm darn near positive I would weigh it smile

I answered a similar question on the musky forum..

All my big fish always get released no matter what.

The "big pike pic" has gotten more attention than any certified world record ever will. No need to kill a fish for recognition, which I don't even care about though I suppose some people might want their name in a book..

In addition, I only keep fish for food, never trophies. I wouldn't want to eat a huge catfish, and if I caught a world record and wanted a trophy, I'm sure I could find someone who could make me a replica. Real mounted fish don't last as long as replicas anyways, why would I want to kill a fish for an inferior trophy?

Y'all can bash me if ya want, but I'd keep it. I have never in my 10 years of flathead fishing kept a single flathead.....or a channel for that matter.

Keeping a single fish that is likely near the end of his/her life is not going to hurt the fishery.

I am a very strong believer in C&R as anyone who fishes with me will attest, but come on....even I would keep a state record. I would love to have my name in the record book cause it aint likely that it will be beat for a long long time........

To clearify, because maybe it is different in WI, the state records for each species are listed in in the rule book each year. All they give is the weight of the fish and the body of water. I am almost positive nobody's name is ever listed.

I am sure there are official record books out there with the angler's name in it, but around here most people look in their annual rule book for the current records. I have no idea of anybody's name who holds a WI state record. And nobody would ever know my name if I kept a record fish, but I think the guilt would eat me up for killing it.

It's hard to really picture yourself in that situation without having the record in the bottom of the net first. I think I would release though....as others suggested. I would document the [PoorWordUsage] out of the process and include all of the beauty/battle scars and then have a replica made. Everyone has the right to do what they want with a trophy and I'm not going to criticize other viewpoints, just what I would do.

I have fished the MN river since I was a young child, and targeted cats pretty much the entire time. I personally never carry a scale, and up until I joined the KOTC never carried a tape measure or camera with me either. I fish for fun, and I have "almost" just as much fun reeling in a 20 pounder as I do a 40 pounder. I never cared if it was 30 pounds, or 35 pounds, it was a nice fish, and I had fun. Thats what fishing is about for me. For me the fish would swim, no question, but what others would do, as long as it is legal is up to them!

I dont know what I would do. I know the coin would be flipped probally many times. but definitly photos and video if possible and like dtro I would have to tie it up until someone else verified it as a monster or and then let her swim then get on the phone to get a replica started. it would make an awsome coffee table.

A name in a book does not mean much to me, and I would much rather share it with you guys and my friends then have the whole world know I got a big one. Being that most of my catting is close to Everts, I think I would have it weighed there, and then let him go home. Maybe with a gentle pat on the rump and a "Thank you beautiful fish". I would kiss it, but would not want to give it any diseases.

I can not fault anyone if they want to keep it, and if it was caught in my boat would let the lucky angler make his own choice.

I don't think anyone who says they would keep it needs to start with an apology.

Everyone has the right to feel guilty. We don't need to chastise them for doing something they feel morally grey about, even if we have so such qualms.