• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Trout lures??

Minnetonka

Hey tonka

I have fish lake trout somewhat in the winter time and have found airplane jigs tipped w/ a twister tail (white) to be quite effective. Also buckshot and maribou leadhead jigs (up to 3/4 oz. ) tipped with a minnow also works well. Hold on to that rod 'cause they will SLAM it and pound for pound fight harder than any fish out there.

Good Luck

------------------

Minnetonka- I've had good luck using a Swedish Pimple baited with a minnow hooked through the eyeballs. They stay on better hooked that way. Be sure you keep an eye on your line as you are jigging. If it seems like it doesn't want to go back down the hole, take up your slack and NAIL EM! Lakers often will hit on the uptake! Don't let anyone tell you that lakers don't fight. You will have your hands full if you nail a good one! Good luck & tight lines!

------------------
DIRTBALL2

we used to use airplane jigs almost all the time, but now we seem to use jigs, with powerbaits as a trailer. I have had my best luck using a rattle jig, charteuse, with a glow powerbait twister tail. whites, blues, also work good for us, good luck, and hang on tight!

------------------

Minnetonka,

I'm heading up with some friends next weekend to Crow Lake, Nestor Falls area. Going to hit some Lakers as well.
What I was told for lures is lots of TUBES. Colors of white and pearl with 3/8 to 1/2 ounce jig heads. Fish it plain and it imitates a wounded smelt. DEADLY! That is what they mainly use. Other things are airplane jigs (white), Cleo's, Sonars, and plain white jig heads with powerbait.
Where are you fishing on LOTW?

Here is the report: I got back last night after 3.5 days on the ice. Good snow conditions and the ice averaged 12-15 inches thick. Fishing was slow. Between five guys we averaged 1.5 trout per day. The trout were from 25 to 30 inches long. The weather was so nice we neve had to use the shelters we took with us. The best lure is the white tube jig. Most of the fish we caught were in 45 feet of water and the active fish would hit at about 20 feet down.

Minnetonka-

I'm heading to Nestor Falls, Crow Lake this Thursday-Sunday in search of big lakers. I'm hoping we catch a few more per guy as we will have a guide. Any hints, tips for me as I prepare to leave Thursday am.
Hope to hear from you.
-Brandon

I would stick with white Berkly power bait tube jigs. Use a Vexilar and concentrate on 40-50 feet of water. stay away from dacron line (it collects water and freezes) use a mono line 12# with a barrel swivel three feet above the jig. the last three feet use floracarbon line.

Minnetonka, where exactly were you trout fishing? Were you on LOTW or Crow Lake? I'm on my way up on Friday and just wanted to know where you were.

Captain B.R.K, how did you do?
Are you back yet?

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hemlock:

It was LOTW Whitefish Bay. We hit many spots and did not have any secret honey holes. If I told you any spots, my friends who also read this web site will hunt me down and string me up. Try the usual points and drops offs.

PS: S & L , I will see you at the Pout festival.

------------------

Minnetonka, I appreciate your response. I too, do not want specifics about good spots posted on here. I have a cabin up there and prefer it when there is less traffic around anyways. Glad to hear you had some success. Where did you guys stay at? I am heading up Friday and I will post my report Monday.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"