• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel Problem?

2000 Ford Windstar with 122,000 wont start. Turns over just fine but but sounds like its not getting fuel. Could it be a filter? IS the filter in the tank or is it external? Could it be the fuel pump? How do I check to see if it has fuel pressure?? Thanks

Isn't that one of the Fords with the fuel pump switch that cuts off for no reason? (The purpose is to cut off fuel pressure in case of an accident.) Check your owner's manual for the fuel pump shut off switch - the manual should tell you where it is (they hid it in a number of different places in different models/years). Your problem may be as simple as resetting the switch.

me either it is always the pump that does it. either electrical or pump failure. one thing to remember is that on the electric pumps in the tank, the fuel is keeping them cool. so if you have habit of running tank down low or close to empty it is hard on the pump. However because of age and mileage, i am suspecting the pump. we use to tap on the tank to free the pump up to at least get it back to the shop. if you simply tap on the fuel tank, and it starts you have a clear indication it is the pump. good luck. also do not use aftermarket pump in a ford, we had nothing but issues with them in our fords. always ended up going to ford.

Tapping on the tank will probably not work but it is worth a shot.If the pump has failed they usually melt the plastic insulator and lock themselves up.

dscn0028ny6.jpg

The one on the left is normal, the two on the right are typical melted failures.

I just pulled one out of an Escape that had this same problem.

Thanks Guys for your input!! I let the van sit and did nothing to it for 2 days, I hooked the fuel pressure guage up to it, turned it over and the darn thing started! [PoorWordUsage], This was the second time this has happend in the exact order. 6 months apart!! Long story short I put a new pump in!!