• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

big mckenzie lake, wi

Hiya -

I have a friend with a cabin there, and from what I understand from him and others, the muskie population in Mckenzie has really declined over the years, to the point of being almost a remnant population. I don't know if it has bounced back at all in recent years though. Check the WI forums for some more recent info perhaps, as DonBo suggested.

Sad deal really - Big Mc. used to be one of the better big fish lakes in WI.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

RK is right on. If you're after an action lake for other species, you can catch bass and pike all day long. I've never caught much for size on the bass. But they're hard not to catch. They still stock about 1100 muskies in the lake on an every other or every third year basis. But the numbers just aren't there like they were many years ago. I've put many hours on the lake with very little success. Having even a single follow out there in an outing was a challenge. With the clear water, seeing follows if they were there would be easy. I haven't fished the lake in about 5 years. But I haven't heard of things changing since then.

Aaron

If you like 10" bass, this is your lake. Muskies on the other hand, almost impossible. I asked Russ Warye about Big Mac last winter, he indicated musky population has declined and at one time was one of the best 50 Wisconsin musky waters, no longer. Big Yellow up the road, might be a better choice.

Good luck;

Steve

I was there for a few hours last June before a lightning storm chased us off. No follows, didn't see a fish. If you want better options, head to the Hayward area. Had follows on Lost Land/Teal and the Tiger Cat Flowage. Didn't see anything in Grindstone or Shell Lake. LCO and the Chip are also great options, of course.