• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to get started making my own lures?

"Nobody knows how to build anything anymore, we all just work at desks exercising our fingers".

This is a phrase my girlfriend's dad loves to repeat, especially since we work in electronics/computers.

Lately it has gotten me thinking that I'd really like to learn to make things for myself rather than go out shopping for whatever I'm looking for.

I have begun making a list of things I think I'd be able to make for myself and have fun with, and so far the list encompasses many ideas from cloth napkins(easy peasy) to custom cages and incubators for my reptiles and eggs they produce.

Today I was pondering about adding things to that list, and instantly my mind drifted to fishing lures! I just love the idea of building things that relate to my hobbies, and I have no clue why making my own lures never occurred to me before!

Anyhoo, I figured this was as good a place as any to start researching making custom lures. I haven't narrowed down what my goals are for making my own lures, but I think it is something I definitely want to at least try out to see if it's as intriguing and fun as it sounds.

I would love it if someone could point me in the direction of useful resources, just somewhere to get started, get ideas about what I'm most interested in etc.. Maybe even somewhere with some basic tooling suggestions and instructions to make my first lure.

I really think this is a hobby I might really get into.. I could see myself carving crankbaits, building spinners, and every other lure under the sun, and maybe even having my own soft plastic molds(does anyone make their own soft plastics?)

Thanks for any help!

I personally don't build any of my own lures at this time other than spinner rigs, but I you look back over the pages there have be a few how to threads posted. I am sure you can find some useful info in there. The search function should help you sort through.

I understand the build something too. I work in the computer field and I find it very rewarding to build something with my hands. Building something like a rod or a lure then catching a fish on it is pretty cool.

The real question is what type of lures would you like to start building. I think it would be much too expensive to build them of all types, but if you want to focus on one type (jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, muskie topwaters, etc) then it would be much more manageable.

Actually I'm currently having a challenge between myself my brother and my dad. The only rule is it had to be made of wood, so I'm working on my first wooden lure (it's a 6 inch jerk/glide bait similar to a magic maker). Pretty fun even with limited tools (Only tools used were a jig saw and my wood carving kit). Just needs to be drilled so I can work on weighting it correctly.

mainbutter,

I have been in your shoes, about 4 yrs ago I had the same thought. I started because I was sick of showing up at a club tournament and everybody was using the exact same thing, black/blue jig or char/white spinnerbait etc. I thought maybe the fish would like to see something different or more importantly, if I was using something I created I would have confidence it it each and every cast. I bought some molds, lead, melting pot, hooks and other items needed and started making my own lures.

Today, I not only make most of my own bass tackle but, I also sell my stuff to guys that are looking to create there confidence bait. It is not only a lot of fun but it has also turned into a nice little part time job.

Suggestions: Start small, like any hobby you are interested in, it is easy to get carried away. Start with a lure that you really like to fish. Make it, try it and see how it goes.

The internet is full of info once you decide what you want to make.

For me, it was really cool to catch fish on something I made. It is something you should try if you have the interest.

I think I'll start out making spinners.. From what I understand there should be parts available for purchase already and I won't have to mess with learning to airbrush or carve wood.

Feel free to point me towards good resources for making spinners, other than that I guess it's up to the forum search function and google.

A follow-up question: for those of you who make your own spinners, bucktails, musky topwaters(and I guess other lures as well), do you spend noticeably less on lure materials than if you purchased similar lures from a store? At the moment money isn't an issue but I was just wondering how many of you consider making your own lures to be a financial benefit as well as just being fun/useful.

hey mainbutter.

first, if your looking to have fun and not save money it's rewarding. to save money, that takes time. for example... basicly you can save money right away if you buy materials for one style, color for a bucktail. say like... a red and white with double 8 blades. you will be buying enough of all material to make ten of them. now, for one who needs ten red and white double 8's? plus that might get boring. if you bought ten you pay more than if you made ten.

but... if you want to make different styles and colors of ten different bucktails your going to spend waayyyyy more than if you bought them. different blades, quality brass 8's, of different colors don't come 2 at a time, it's 5 packs. different style, color and size beads, different color hair, the list goes on. after time you will save. that time depends on how fast you go through them and need the next one. but it is fun.

as far as resources. beware bad info. the best info is from a lure you already own or can buy. dismantal it and remake it is the best advice i can give. measure everything. like how far is the front loop from the first component. what is the length of the wire before the tail section. study how it's put together. there's a lot hidden under that hair. where exactly is the weight in back in relation to the hook. how is the bucktail tied. stuff like that. and then rip it apart and remake it.

for loops there is a tutorial right here somewhere. under ''loops in wire''. it was posted by yours truly smile. if you can't find it it's also on my site in the tutorial page. good luck.

for parts, including wire, if you want it easily gotten, go to thorne brothers and walk into the fly angler side. walls and racks of stuff, anything you need is there. almost all of it is high quality (99%). happy building.

there is no easy way to start. You can start at a public library for books on the subject. Focus is the best start. Do you want to tie(trout, bluegill, bass, pike) or build from wood (bass, pike, muskie) tying is easier because materials are cheaper. wood lures you need saws routers sanding finishing. Then get your check book

I've done both for several years. Is it cheaper?? No not really. Time trouble effort mistakes frustration. But why do it?? Because in the end....reeling in a fish caught on something you created is the payoff. Of course there is that great thing called e b a y and you can sell all over the world. I've been fortunate to be able sell enough to pay for my fishing. If you would like some addional help You cam PM me. good luck