• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout fishing in the Arrowhead

Renneberg

Try Tofte. It got hit pretty hard this year but produced well. You'll need to try different depths right now though due to temperature changes. Theres a few more holes but I'll need to drag out the maps if your interested.

good luck

Actually that's one of the lakes we were going to fish.
Did great there last year with rainbows. Our bobbers acted more like subs. They just kept going down.
Caught a ton of rainbows but only seen one splake caught.

Ever try Hanson Lake north of Ely? Last I heard all it has are splake.

I may have to head up that way and try my luck.
No map is needed. I have several maps of Tofte and Hanson, but thanks anyways.

Ever try High lake? I heard that there is a road that runs close to High, but I was unable to find it in the two years I lived up there.
Know anything about it?

I never got to fish High lake, but I hear it can be outstanding at times.

It's a hike to High. Take Echo trail a couple of miles to the Bass Lake trail entrance. From the Bass Lake trail you'll get to Dry Lake (which is also a trout lake) and from there you'll get to High. Theres another way in but I've never used it. Last year on Ice Trout opener some friends of mine and I camped on dry and spent four days fishing both of them. Our largest was 22" Brookie on High. There's some footage of it on my HSOforum.

That's what I hear about High. Hard to get to but big trout.
I've walked to the falls at bass lake many times and seen dry, but never tried it.

The other way that you never tried is most likly the one I heard about.

I heard that the rainbows are bitting good on Tofte right now, if they are its going to be hard to leave them and try a lake that's hard to get to like high and dry.

Thanks for the help.

If you ever need any help with trout around here in the cities just let me know and I'll help you as much as I can. wink.gif

------------------
Study to be quite

I went to VCC. Started in the fall of 99 to spring of 01. Lived upstairs of Voyageur North both years.

Were you one of the luckly few that got a full time job up there or did you go to VCC and get a job with the forest service?

------------------
Study to be quite

Just got back from Ely.

When we checked in we were told to turn on the water and let it run. We asked why and he said tonight they think they are going to set a record low. We just looked at each other and know that that's not going to be good for fishing and it wasn't
Fishing was spotty at best. We caught only a few bows at Tofte after a hole day there.

We went to High and Dry, but the record cold and a steady north wind made in next to impossable to stand there for long, so we tried the north side of dry. We only got one bite.

Later that day we went to Hanson. No luck there.

The next day, after we thoded(sp?) are bodies out, we figured that we would try the fishin on one of the stream flowing into lake superior.
We stopped at the Baptism and with in about 10 minutes we caught a nice 20 inch coho.
I caught that fish at about 8:30 in the morning. Not long after all the campers and park visiters started to show up. They started throwing rocks in the river and even tried to skipped them right over my line. Then they would ask me if I had had any luck. I told them ya until people started throwing rocks in the river.
A steady stream of rock throwers kept coming, so we headed upstream to get away from them, but even that failed to work. It seemed like every other hole a kid would throw the biggest rock they could pick up into the river.
I talked to some other anglers on their way out. They said that when the first rock hits the water the fishin is done for that hole, so move upstream fast and try to stay ahead of them.
Knowing that the fishing was done we headed back to Ely.

With still a half day left we thought we should head to the dam by Winton and see if we couldn't catch a big northern. I'm sure by now Chunkytrout you know what's goin on at the bottom of the dam, right?
We fished there for about ten minutes before we hooked into a big northern. It took her a few seconds before she know she was hooked, but when she did she shot off into the current and was headed for the lake. I couldn't do anything to stop her either. After she was about half way to the lake the hook came out. I can only imagine how big she was.
We returned several times to see if another one had moved in, but no such luck.

Our last day we decided to head back to the one place we had had some luck, but this time try in the evening.
We got down there about 2:30. It was cold and the north wind was really blowing. We think this helped keep the rock throwers in their tents and cars, because we didn't have one rock hit the water while we were there.
It took about two hours before we caught our first fish. A 20 inch wild rainbow. She was fat from eating salmon eggs.
Not long after we caught a 23 inch coho.
By now the sun was setting fast and we were losing light. We watched as one salmon jumped 6 times straight out of the water, but other then that we didn't catch or see another fish.

Dispite the cold and the snow we had a great time. I cann't wait to head back next spring, but hopefully I'll be back this winter.

------------------
Study to be quite

Oh , you found the big sows at the dam. ****, i almost forgot about them. Might have to swing down there after work. Glad you didn't get skunked and that we didn't have to drag your frozen carcass out of the lake unlike the guy they pulled out of Basswood last week. See ya this winter! Don't wait til spring!

You and everyone else forgot about the dam. We didn't see another person there.

It seems like there's always one person they have to save this time of the year.
My last year of school they saved someone from going over the dam above Newton lake. I quess their motor died while they were netting white fish.

------------------
Study to be quite