• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carp one after another!

I know you can basically catch carp wherever you go and pretty much whenever you go but...I am looking for a good carp fishing spot where I can get one after another. I would like to take the kids there seeing as they LOVE to catch carp. Anybody know where i can go at this time of the year for carp for some good action??

The carp bite has been real slow as of late, I can only assume because of spawnin. I saw hundreds jumping and rolling all at once on friday, lasted about 10-20 minutes, with minor jumping and rolling before and after. I knew where they were, and I've caught a bunch in the same location before, but I only got one bite from carp that entire evening.

the only time I can get them one after another is in the month of May at the entrace of a stream in the Mississippi. when the water warms up, they spread out.

In my experience anyway...perhaps someone can comment.

Sunday I was out on the Chain in Cold Spring and the Carp were EVERYWHERE in 2 feet or less, a big female and smaller male and they thrash around in the shallows, almost roll up th bank into the grass, they will NOT bite no matter what I do.

the catfish on the other hand are right by them, I presume, eating the spawn.....we caught catfish litterally one after the other, from 1/2-6 pounds....

I have NEVER caught a carp on anything under a bobber in my life. I have tried and failed on a number of occasions.

I have caught them on twisty tail grub artificials, and bait fished on the bottom(sinker on the line above the hook, bait the hook with something yummy like corn or nightcrawlers, cast out and let it sit).

Bait fished on the bottom has always worked the best though.

I have used a float, though I've only recently begun doing it. It has been somewhat successful, as long as the float is tiny (I use an icebuster) and the bait is just barely off the bottom.

i like waggler floats for carp. shy bites are my favorite

what do you use on the lake?? Just a bobber rig?

if you are asking me, i either stalk them with a fly rod or jig rod. or i bottom fish with a running rig and corn with some anise extract. i thoroughly wash the corn with water to get all the preservatives and stuff off of the corn (if it came from a can)

i do float fish for them too, i like thill shy bites, and fish it within an inch off the bottom. i will sometimes fish it on the bottom, so when a carp takes it, the float will raise up and lay flat.

Quote:
what do you use on the lake?? Just a bobber rig?

I have used bobbers. The thing is they were small. The type you use on a fly rod (strike indicator). I would use a small splitshot to get my bait (corn) to the bottom and watch the indicator. I didn't use it to float the bait off the bottom.

Carp can be line shy. So it is good to have your line laying on the bottom and out of the way.