• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trout

Fishgun there are trout streams in the metro, but they all have the same problem. Landowners and small size. Landowners like to think that just because they own the land around a stream that the stream belongs to them. Wrong. Under minnesota law all streams and bodies of water are open to the public. So you are considered to be on public property as long as you are on or in the water.
This how ever doesn't stop them from running out of their houses and start yelling four letter words in combonations never heard before. I've heard stories of the landowner throwing things at the angler, and even one where a fight almost broke out. That one happened at Eagle creek.
This is not true for every landowner along a metro trout stream, but it sure makes you think about if you want to deal with one of the few angry ones.

If thats not enofe to make you think twice about metro trout fishing, then keep in mind that the biggest trout I've ever heard caught in a metro trout stream is 17 inches. Average trout in a metro stream is between 4 to 12 inches.
Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

If you want to fish for trout, try over in wisconsin. Rivers like the Rush, Kinni and the Willow have great trout fishing without the angry landowners.
But if you still try fishing a metro trout stream, stay in the water and have a cell phone handy with the police on speed dial.

bring a gun too... those metro guys pack heat

wink.gif

succulent beed is a orange beed that has a little creamy white nail polish painted on it... it's quite succulent... according to 24 inch plus rainbows wink.gif

zzzz... zzzzz... zzzz (sound of my fly line being ripped of the reel.

Fishgun ...

Trout near St. Paul is a tough one. I spend alot of time on Christmas lake earlier in the year (opener to mid June) and do quite well. The last time I was there was about a month ago and couldnt buy a bite. The action should be picking back up soon, but still nothing in comparisons to the early bite.

Square lake I have never had alot of luck at. I have only caught one respectable size trout (6 lbs)out of there .. I have caught a few in the 16" range .. but nothing consistant. Slip bobber fishing in front of the * red barn * is probably most popular in about 50' of water. Baits include crappie jigs, corn, power bait, leeches, and worms.

There are a couple small creeks around that supposedly hold trout but I have never heard of good results. Eagle Creek is one in Savage. There is another creek up by North Branch thats supposed to have trout. I reserve my trout fishing to Christmas lake in the spring and a fall trip to Erie every year. I'd rather drive 14 hours and catch a ton of fish than fish for 14 hours and catch no fish.

Being that it's September.... your best bet for good sized trout is to do the following:

1. Search for plane tickets to Anchorage, AK.

2. Book the cheapest one.

3. Fly up there.

4. Stop by Mt. View Sports Center.

5. Pick up glow bugs, small flesh flies, and the most important thing.... beeds. Get a lot of different shades of orange, pink, and cream. Try and find someone to let you know about the succulent beed (most locals will say your crazy and won't tell you... be firm!.... you KNOW it exists... I told you)

6. Drive to the Upper Kenia (assuming you have transportation). You can either float from the Ferry or you can just wade on the shore at the Ferry on down to the Power Line OR you can go to Jim's Landing.

7. You will need your 6 wt fly rod... nymphing is the key.

8. Watch your strike indicator closely... the second is goes under or sways to the side... set the hook.

9. Watch out for bears!

10. Last but not least... reel in.

This is the easiest and most effective way to catch nice trout if you live in St. Paul.

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 09-12-2002).]

There is a less expensive way to get into some good steelhead fishing. Take a drive to Pennsylvania and fish the fall run there. There are literally areas where you can walk across the fish. The steelhead average from 6-10 lbs with plenty bigger. The best bite is when they 1st hit the creeks with my best days landing over 50 fish.

It cost about $120 in gas for my suburban (10 mpg) to get there at the current gas prices.It usually takes around 16 hours drive..give or take an hour or 2. I usually plan on getting there the same time I leave the next day ... Get a good sleep in on the way so I can go right to fishing.

Non-resident license (yearly) and trout stamp comes to $40 ...

A little clarification on the access to streams. Under MN law a stream or lake is acessable to the public if it can be navigated by a boat such as a canoe. This law is generally not inforced because the DNR usually sides with the land owner because it's easier to do so and sometimes because they don't know the law themselves.
Under this law you are not allowed to use the bank you must stay in the steam.

Won't help much if the land owner decides to let out his prize bull who is by no means a lawyer.

Yep .. I meant the state .. it is a drive but worth it. Its not all that expensive if you have a couple guys to go with .. makes driving easier too. Its not as far as it sounds .. Chicago is half way.

I make it out every year because my fiance's family is out there ... really good excuse to go fishing .. only downfall is she cant stay awake to drive so coffee comes into great need.

Theres a quite a few creeks that can be fished. All locations are within about 20 miles of Erie, PA.

Walnut creek is by far the most popular and easy to fish .. as long as you dont mind fishing with lots of anglers. The mouth of Walnut is in Fairview, which is basicly a west suburb of Erie. *Trout Run* is an awesome fishery which is about 3 miles west of Walnut. The creek is off limits but the mouth is excellent... here is where you can walk on the fish.

Theres too many to list ... here a good link for info .. this shouldnt be knocked off providing its not local info here. There are maps of the lake and creek locations.

Its still early but its coming quick .. little rain and cooler temps and its on literally overnight when they come in. I have witnessed steelhead coming out of the *surf* like sardines when they come in strong. When the fish are staged at the mouth its still possible to get a few .. but much easier in a boat ( I mean easy ) tossing or trolling lures. Its not quite as crowded either .. Lots of fisherman .. but lots more fish than fisherman.

I would consider taking a fishing trip out if there are a couple people that would be interested to share the expenses. I have access to a small motorhome or a pop up camper-trailer for inexpensive lodging. The motorhome would be ideal because we can leave it in the parking lot ( at the water ).

Dave

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 09-12-2002).]

When ... depends on the cooler weather and the rain.

I dont want to go too early .. trust me on this.

If I had to guess I would say about 3 weeks or so .. but it really depends on the weather.

I'll keep my eye on the fishing reports... People will be jumping up and down and talking about their catch's when the time comes .. its no secret.

Just my two cents...If distance is the main factor, when I lived in the Twin Cities we used to goto the Whitewater River Area. Thats where I learned how to scare alot of trout downstream by pretending I knew how to flyfish but I caught my first there and many more after. If you're a little more ambitious, come up to the Ely area. We have a ton of managed stream trout lakes just begging for a crawler and a bobber. Some of the pits up here are 200+ft deep which allows you to try out other methods like downrigging and dipsies. Then as long as your up here, try Snowbank or Burntside for the 10-15lbs lakers!
Good Luck

Bucster! Yep, it's me. How ya been? How's fishing down there in the big city? Not much new up here. Almost finished painting the house. Just in time for bird season! Jump on the webpage and drop us a line!

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 09-18-2002).]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the steelhead rivers in northwest Michigan, lower peninsula. There are some awesome steelhead runs and lots of public fishing access. Here are just a few of the good rivers:

Pere Marquette
Manistee
Little Manistee
St. Joseph
Betsie
Platte

and several others. Peak of the runs is generally in the spring but there are fish that trickle in from Lk. Michigan all winter.

[This message has been edited by kroppe (edited 11-06-2002).]