• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Splake and Rainbows

mnwild14

I am looking for some information on Splake and Rainbows. I will be doing some fishing while grouse hunting this fall sept- oct. Does anyone have suggestions on lures and location for either of these fish. Can they be caught from shore. I have never fished for either before. It will be in a small lake that I will be fishing.

If you would care to let me join you fishing there anytime this summer i can figure out what will work on them with what kind of lake it is. And show ya how. my email is [email protected] if you are interested. It would be nice to fish somewhere else besides the crosby mine pits.

mnwild14, the rainbows should be close to shore. As the season for trout lakes wines down the rainbows will be moving in close to shore. Nightcrawlers under a bobber or jig and twister will do the trick. Twister colors that work for me are white, brown, black, and purple. Jigs should be no bigger then 1/8 with 1/16 working the best for rainbows.
Splake are most commonly found at the bottom, in deeps of 20 feet or more. Use split shoots and a plain hook with a inflated nightcrawler just off the bottom.

Good Luck.

mnwild14~we have always had good luck fishing rainbow trout using Berkley Powerbait, with the majority of the time chartreuse being the most productive color, but also good luck on the hot pink and white. Benjamin Lake is producing well this time of year and it is stocked almost every year with rainbow.

------------------
Drake Motel
drakemotel.com
(888)253-8501
[email protected]

going up to larson lake this up coming weekend......for splake and rainbows......little lake north of naushwauk about 45 miles(Togo -effie country).... i live in hibbing so it's not far for me...inland record splake caught there a couple years ago....13 pounds plus...actually.......two splake were caught within about a week of each other in the 13 pound class....nice little state campground there ..will be camping for 3 days to try for the splake mostly...guy's got both of the big splake ice fishing....i usually go up to larson for the rainbows...but those splake sure are nice fish!....lol...will post my results when i get back.......jon smile.gif

Most of the above info is dead on. Looking for a cool trip? Tofte lake holds beautiful splake, chunky rainbows, and nice pockets of ruffs. Camp right on the lake. Hunting trails and other lakes within minutes.
(Gawd, I should be working for the Chamber up here. I sound like a commercial)