• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What reel to buy? Help me...

Laska

so a thumb bar is preferred but I should all around go with the 6500 models... This sum it up? Clicker preference would be 6600? as far as being the best...wow lots to soak in...

Gotta clarify for you a bit here...

6500 C3 or C4, 6600 C3 or C4 all have clickers.

The 'C3' series denotes the 5.3:1 gear ratio, this is a preferred ratio for catfishing so you'll more than likely want a 'C3' reel.

Now if you wanna thumbbar (and thats a personal preference), you'll be looking for a 6600 reel. If you want the pushbutton spool release, you'll want a 6500 reel.

You can pretty much get an Abu baitcaster any way you want.

If I'm reading you right, you want a thumbbar spool release, the lower gear ratio, and a clicker. I would then recommend a 6600 C3 reel.

Too complicate the Garcia numbering system a bit more, they also make 4500, 5500, and 7000 reels. Basic difference in this numbering is the line capacity. 4500 is a small reel, 7000 is a big reel.

I personally use the older Garcia 7000 C3 reels almost exclusively for all my catfishing. These reels double great for muskie fishing, Mag Dawgs and Double Cow Girls aren't a problem. wink

My buddy just picked up the abu garcia 7000 c3 and man oh man is that a sweet reel. The clicker is strong ya all around great reel. Now I need to go pick one up.

I've got (4) 7000s and thats about all I use anymore. Been using them for a number of years now but see the forum is catching on now. Nothing worse than your 6500 clicker or baitfeeder not being able to hold a bait in heavy current. One of my biggest pet peeves.

There are, however, times where you wanna run clicker that isn't as strong as a 7000s. Just gotta adjust to it.

There is a popular catfish HSOforum that has the 6501TC (Trophy Collection) on sale for $74.95 and it comes with the power handle which is a must (for me anyways).

I know which one that is and it has a 6:3:1 ratio is that ok? is that the c3 just with a power handle?- Have you seen the "Green Cat Reel"? that one seemed to be the better all around choice, I think ill have to get a power handle right off the bat...

And seriously which is better button or thumb bar?? Ive only used push buttom ones and im curious what exactly the thumbar is and if its easier to release line than a push button- this is my last question before makin a decision... Thanks for all the help guys

Originally Posted By: rushing
There is a popular catfish HSOforum that has the 6501TC (Trophy Collection) on sale for $74.95 and it comes with the power handle which is a must (for me anyways).

I know which one that is and it has a 6:3:1 ratio is that ok? is that the c3 just with a power handle?- Have you seen the "Green Cat Reel"? that one seemed to be the better all around choice, I think ill have to get a power handle right off the bat...

And seriously which is better button or thumb bar?? Ive only used push buttom ones and im curious what exactly the thumbar is and if its easier to release line than a push button- this is my last question before makin a decision... Thanks for all the help guys

As far as push button/thumb bar debate goes, it's purely personal preference ... the thumb bar is basically a plastic elongated lever built in the spool whereas the push button is just that, a push button on the side of the spool ... C71.jpgthis is a 6600 c4 and you can see the thumb bar in the bottom ... it's the black bar running parallel to the spool. Also on a side note, the clicker engagement is the slide on the left side of the spool, in case you're wondering. Either way you decide, Abu makes quality baitcasters, I have one at home that must be at least twenty years old and still works like a champ ... take care of it and it won't let you down! Hope this helped

You could also go with a Bait runner type spinning reel. It works like a clicker.

All the Abu 6000's will do the job. We're not talking Muskie fishing here (Hundreds of casts a day). All the Abu's have good drags and that is what you need most.

Quote:

The thumb bar is easier. Your thumb needs to hold the line so you can have it push the button at the same time with a thumb bar (no need for the other hand to reach across to push the button).

Im gonna go with the TC model, its more in my price range and I got big thumbs ne who so Im gonna order it from a popular catfishing HSOforum tonight.

Just wanna say thank you to everyone for the help, I was clueless at the beginning n now Im confident in which one I want plus its red and has a power handle which more or less fits my style.