• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor in gear when towing?

311Hemi

I've seen plenty of props rotating on the road but generally at a very low rpm. I'd find it hard to believe that ANY heat could build up in the gearcase as there's NO resistance to the rotation, I myself leave the motor in neutral should anything hit it, then the prop CAN turn. I'd rather have the prop turn free than have a blade snap off from a chunk of wood (or whatever)laying on the highway fly up and hit it. Your prop rotates more rpm's in the first 10 minutes on the lake anyway. As for the seals, they're lubed from inside, otherwise they'd melt to the propshaft. Phred52

pull the prop if it is a concern?

Seems like a little overkill! Just put it in gear if it is a concern. I'm not worried about anything hitting the prop going down the road.

I called Yamaha this morning and they said it's not needed, but if you were going to be driving for hours and hours and hours then you may consider it.

I don't see how it matters either way. I'm not a mechanical engineer but my gut instinct tells me that the prop doesn't turn fast enough while going down the highway to heat up much of anything. The lubrication in the lower unit will absorb any small amount of heat that does develop. I think it would have to turn pretty darn fast for a relatively long time to heat things up enough to cause damage.

Test it yourself. Next time you go somewhere feel the lower unit gearbox to see if it heated up. It can be almost hot to the touch and still be considered cool by mechanical standards. Touch the shaft near the output seal to see if it is warm. Again, think about how warm it would have to be to damage that seal.

well you can stick a silicone spatula in a 300 degree oven and it doensnt get soft so i would imagine hot enough to make the oil in the LWR unit to boil.. when you tow do you leave the motor down??? i would tilt it up but dont have a support..

Main concern was for the out prop shaft seal and if it could be compromised from not being cooled by water. Not worried about the internals of the lower unit.

Hydro, the prop moving or not makes really makes that noticeable of difference for you in gas mileage when your towing? Doesn't seem like it would cause that much drag (obviously a little), but I am sure they can and will be different from one boat/prop to the next.

I was being a little sarcastic with the mileage comment since the basic premise of this thread seems a bit inconsequential in the big scope of things.

I also fire up the motor, put it in forward.. that really helps my mileage... for some reason I keep buying new blocks though, I think it's got something to do with the lack of blinker fluid smile

marine_man