• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

should i play senior year of football?

Burnham

i would play. i played hockey for duluth east from 05 to 08 and i miss every part of it. There were times during the season when i just wished it would get over since it was so time consuming with practices and weights etc, but looking back on it i am soooo glad i stuck it out and i would bet you will be too. football starts earlier than hockey so that would interfer with ur hunting, fishing but like stated above you can do that the rest of your life. right now im regreting not going and playing juniors. football and hockey are things you cant play later in life on a competitive, organized team like highschool is so do it while you can.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with your heart! If you truely want to play football, then play. Don't use work as a deciding factor, decide what you want to do based on your feeling towards the game.

What ever you decide enjoy it. Not trying to be negative, but your youth slips away very quickly.

I am 60 yrs old, i quit sports my senior year so that i could fish and hunt, i have regretted it almost everyday of my life since, your friends who are your former team mates are still your friends but there is a little something missing, i wish i had the chance to do it over again and beieve you me nobody enjoys hunting and fishing as much as i do.

PLAY!!!!! I started a few games as a soph. in HS then as a junior got a 2 week susp. and thought i was getting a raw deal after my susp. (which I was) was lifted and I quit.....came my senior year I showed up to 2 a days and worked my butt off had a decent season......now I look back at that junior year and wish I would have changed things worked harder in the off season so I would have had a better senior season.......I don't miss my junior season but I am glad I played my senior year but I still feel like I could have done more but I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I didn't play at all in my senior year!!

You can never go back and play HS football plain and simple!!!!!!!

Play, even practicing your rear off and never seeing the field shows character. Realizing you are "pulling a Rudy" as someone mentioned is part of what life is about. As I tell my students in school, there are very few jobs out there where you are not working with or for someone else and/or their gains. My sophomore year in college I sat on the bench, every game the asst. coach told me to be ready to go in, coach is gonna play you, and I never saw the floor. It was extremely frustrated but it made me a better player, coach and teacher.

It's three months, bust it, you never know what will happen.

Broken_line: I am sorry you had to suffer with some youth coach bozo's, to me that is the biggest problem with youth sports, the parents.........I feel really bad for the first bozo that tries to tell me why my sons or daughter not being at their 3rd grade practice is going to affect the rest of their athletic careers. My first Basketball game with officials was in 7th grade and we only got to play 9 games for a season, until 9th grade. I finally got burned out from any form of competition after my senior year of college hoops.

i'd vote for playing. the memories I got from playing were well worth it. I know a ton of guys who would give everythign to play again. A lot of old football players say that, in fact.

Nothing will ever quite be like that thrill of competition and pure adrenaline... its pretty unique.

I'm two and half years out of college ball and I miss it like crazy sometimes

You will never be a Senior in High School again. Enjoy everything you can during this year. These memories will stay with you for the rest of your life! Although it may fun, Life, gets a lot tougher after High School! Do as many things with your friends as you can NOW! You sound like a very responsible young person. Enjoy what soceity has determined is the last year of childhood. Have Fun!

I didnt play my senoir year because I herniated a couple disks in my back lifting weights my junior year. I dont regret it very much, but I didnt want to take the risk of really messing myself up for life. Looking back I probably could have played, the damage was already done, but two weeks of laying on the floor in one position really makes you think.

Lots of good advice on here and I agree with the majority that if you like playing football, then by all means play because you only get one senior year. You never know who is going to get hurt, suspended, etc... giving you a chance at the glory. Dont worry about your size, it's high school ball, not NFL.

If you enjoy playing football, you should definitely play again this year.

If you don't enjoy it, do something that you enjoy doing.

My dad always told me that when hockey wasn't fun anymore, quit playing. I quit playing high school hockey when I was a junior, and played city league the last two years instead and had a blast doing it.

im pretty sure im going to play, and thinking about working during football too. not sure about work tho as last year i worked and it was VERY tough. i still have been going to lifting and conditioning though so i am in pretty good shape right now

Burnham,

Weighing in...been a HS coach, coached for the better part of my life, played soccer and hockey through HS. The advice here is right on. Talk to your employer, they will understand and work with you. If not, find a different job...

HS sports only come once and are a major part of your life experience. Suspend the job (unless the money is essential for home...) and enjoy this last run through HS. You will not be sorry. Your memories will not be of the job nearly as much as the ball. In the end, we all sit around the fire and tell stories, what will yours be? Touchdowns and games or pulling the 3 to 8 shift.

Good luck from an old coach,

The General

thanks for the advice, yea i know that work is not nearly as memorable. the main thing that is holding me back is that my dad got laid off in march and my mom just had her hours cut so they cannot afford to help me out with car repair,gas, and fishing if i dont have a job. i am capable of paying for the already said right now, i think i am going to talk it over at my work within the next week or so.

The thing with work is that you will be working the rest of your life. I was told that in High School and didn't listen. Now I wish I would have waited to work as much as I did and had more fun with friends at the time. Play your football and be a kid Burnham, growing up happens too fast!!

You should really think about what your priorities are for senior year and the following 4 years. You should be more concerned about what are you going to do after high school. The next 5 years may be the most important years of your life. Make sure you go to college and get an education. I'm not saying stop everything you are doing but it's time to grow up and start thinking more than 3 months ahead. I think more people regret about not paying more attention in school than if they played sports or not. Because when it's time to get a job, playing football won't matter. I'm not saying to play or not, but remember why you are in school. And yes, I played sports all my life and senior year at Blaine. Good luck......

No matter how you go with this, good luck. We all have had the opportunity to make similar decisions, this is all part of growing up and reaching adulthood. Talk to your parents, coaches, employers etc, but in the end, the decision lies with you. Take the advice that comes, consider it and make a solid informed decision. Regardless, you seem to have your head in the right place.

I have read the responses here and they all seem pretty tight. Feels like you have a lot of support from the crew posting here. I am confident that you will make the best call for you and yours, that is an admirable thing.