• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

should i play senior year of football?

Burnham

so i play football for anoka, played last year for the first year. i am gunna be a senior and really have been debating whether or not i should play again. i am currently leaning towards playing and have talked to my coach a little bit. summer lifting and conditioning has started and i am kinda getting into the mindset, but i do work 20-30 hrs a week. last year most of my days were 6am get up, school till 230. then football from 230 to 630 and work from 7-11, and hwk very late and repeat. i am going to see if i can take a leave of absense but i really want to make money and fish a bit so im not sure if im up for playing again.

if anyone skipped out on a sport senior year and regretted it let me know cuz i REALLY dont want to not play and then regret it, which is part of the reason why i think i am going to play.

thanks

ryan burnham

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote would be to play.

1. You can fish/hunt for the rest of our life.

2. You will get to work for the next 30 years.

3. You will never forget the memories.

4. It could be your last chance at doing it ever.

5. Enjoy your senior year, soon you will look

back and it will be 20 years.

Chad

My vote would be to play.

1. You can fish/hunt for the rest of our life.

2. You will get to work for the next 30 years.

3. You will never forget the memories.

4. It could be your last chance at doing it ever.

5. Enjoy your senior year, soon you will look

back and it will be 20 years.

Chad

I agree 100% ! Play now, work later!

I would play 100%.

You have the rest of your life to work, fish, and do other stuff. You only have 1 chance to play your SR year. You'll likely never regret playing but you are likely to regret sitting out.

Myself I worked all through high school up until SR. year. I was a 3 sport guy and wanted to make the most of SR year so I cut way down on work during the school year. I only worked sunday's so that I still had a little spending money. I knew that this was the last year of freedom and making a few extra bucks by working more hours just wasn't worth it to me. For what a high school job pays its hard to justify giving everything up for that little money.

Burnham,

I've hunted every year since I was 12 and fished since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

I played football, hockey and baseball in High School and still found some time to do some hunting.

You can never go back and play football after this year but you will have plenty of time to hunt/fish.

Play football...

I’m going to take the other side of this. Looking back at my high school sports and wondering how many other things I missed out on being so dedicated to playing. Instead of doing some things that I would have much rather done, I was stuck as practice, or working out or at a game or being a ref at some grade school Sat tourney.

Heck I missed my sister win a State Championship in Volleyball because our coach “strongly suggested” that we best show up to a meaningless preseason B-Ball scrimmage. It was implied that those that were there would be shown a preference when it came to playing time.

What you need to do is think about what you really want to do, what would make you happy. That is all everything is ever about. Don’t worry about what your coach, your friends, or even your family want you to do. Make it about yourself.

Some might call that selfish, but in the end what makes you happy should matter the most. If that means playing football and not working or fishing or whatever, do that too.

I agree with everyone else, you should play.

However, if you're looking for some other input, I didn't play basketball my senior year of high school and don't regret it. Up to that time I played 3 sports - baseball, basketball and football. I was a starter and key player on my baseball and football teams. With basketball, I was at the bottom of the depth chart, and because I wasn't as good as the other players I didn't enjoy it as much.

So if you don't like football you might not have any regrets. But it sounds like you do like playing, so go for it. Especially with football, you never get to play real tackle football once you get older. You can play fairly competitive basketball, baseball or hockey in amateur leagues. But unless you play college football this will be your last chance to put the pads on.

High school football was one of the greatest expeiriences of my life. I loved every minute of the pain and tourture of the conditioning and exercising, and i havent been in that great of shape since. I enjoy watching my old team now, and am trying to get involved on a volunteer basis to be around it all again.

Go for it, you have the rest of your life to work and fish and hunt. You cant "redo" high school football, but theres always next weekend, next year to hunt/fish.

I didnt take it seriously until i hit the time where you're atm inbetween junior and senior year. Hit the weights hard, i had an incredible improvement between junior and senior year and it was awesome.

Play.

During my Senior Year of HS, I worked afternoons after 2 a day practices, then went home and did farm work until it was done. Work is not a factor. You are only talking about the 2-3 weeks of practice before school starts anyways.

For HS football, you are only talking 3 months of you life. Play, make the most of it, enjoy the time with your friends, and live life to it's fullest.

I agree with most. Play on young man. Back in High School, my senior year I dropped out of basketball to work at a neighbors farm. I still did Cross Country, track in the fall/spring. I have regretted that ever since. Lots of memories were not made.

If you're smart enough to ask this question I bet you already know the right answer...Play. I'm 35 and still have recurring dreams of playing football my senior year. Even now I'd love to be able to play just one more year.

ima be the odd nut in here.. football is volentary, work is not, so id enjoy the times you dont have to work all the time and fish, hunt, whatever else you like to do.. if you played last year and liked it ALOT go again.. if you just stood there most of the time and had no fun.. then consider a few more trips to the lake after school.. so you practice 4 hours a day? thats 240 hours of time spent on football in 3 months.. im kinda sower about foot ball cuz ive had bad coaches the 3 years i played..

Are you a starter or at least get to play in every varsity game?

Or is the coach using you as a scrub (RUDY)so the varsity team has someone to practice against.

I dropped out of football my senior year for this very reason, liked the game but would nice to be in the game.

Yes memories were not be made by not playing but others memories were made by doing other things, follow your heart

My sophmore year, after football season, I decided that I wasn't going to play football because I could hunt more, and I was a little smarter than the coach in my mind. I did not play my junior year. I really ended up regretting it, and it turns out hunting without my buddies who were on the field was more fun that going by myself. I got talked into playing football senior year. So glad I did, as it was very enjoyable, and I will always have those memories. Trust me, as a guy with mortgages, bills, kids, obligations and the whole works, take my advice: enjoy your time young man. No need to worry about a few hundred bucks here and there and a few hours fishing for 3 months of your young life. You have many, many years of fishing ahead of you, and the money you make now is going to have a very minimal impact of the rest of your life. The opportunity to be part of a team with common goals is one that you wont have for long. Take advantage.

Go for it!!!! I played basketball, baseball and football as a young kid thru high school. I also played basketball and baseball in college. I have tons great memories from being involved in sports.

I know you want to spend time in the outdoors, but you'll have plenty of time for that. I've been to Canada over 25 times, pheasant, sharptail & duck in hunting in Montana, Iowa, ND, SD, MN & WI. Plus deer hunting over 30 years, along with many fishing trips in WI & MN.

Don't be a spectator when you have this opportunity to play. There are a lot of guys that post that never had the acorns to try a sport, (but they sure know a lot about what the coaches and players should be doing)! They've never sacked a QB, scored a TD, recovered a fumble, returned a punt/kickoff, tackled someone, etc. It doesn't matter if you're a star, just get out there and have fun!

no i had 1 varsity game last year but should be in a few more this year if i play. i am not a starter by any means though, at all. we really dont need too many scrappy guys tho, we have a very big jv/varsity roster, which is typically around 100 guys. so i know that he doesnt want me to play for that reason. there is something special about running onto the field on friday nights tho, especially away games when all of the other schools little kids are yelling at you grin

I think the most important thing is to enjoy your senior year. It's easy to let work and homework bog you down, but this is one of the funnest times of your life and you'll only be young once! It sounds corny and cliched, but it's 100% true. You can't redo high school (unless you're really dumb) and likely won't see most of you classmates again after you graduate. Have fun, worry about being responsible when you're older.

This is a real no-brainer. You will be working the rest of your life. Enjoy your senior year. I made this mistake with golf my senior year, I didn't go out for golf and instead worked after school because I thought I needed the money. I have regretted it ever since.