• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fly fishing help

ethan77

Can anyone tell me what the best thing to do for a begginer fly fisherman? Is there a web site or a book out there where I can go and see to read about it? I can tooo the line or even figure out my leader, what kind of fly to use. I just wnat to find out a few things about it so I can have more fun with it.
[email protected]

ethan77,
The best thing for you to do without someone to teach you is probably get a book. If you live near a well equipped sporting goods store they would most likely have a book about flyfishing. I couldn't even beggin to explain it to you properly without being able to demonstrate what I'm telling you. But if your willing to drive I'll be glad to get you started with what you need to know.

Jimmy

ethan77,
I've been flyfishing for 30 some years now. I started when I was 9 or 10. The best way to start is not in the stream, but in the pond for bluegills. Why, they're easy to catch,(use a gold hook and worms). Casting is something even after 30 years still sometimes gets frustrating. Best advice is DON'T GIVE UP!! It's mostly in the shoulder and elbow. Don't hurry your back cast. If you cast right handed, Reach up with your left,grab the line with your left hand by the guide, strip the line back slowly as you raise your rod back, pick up the line, go back, start at postion 11 back to 2 then wait a second and then forward to 11. all in one motion. I fish the red river in fargo at the North dam pretty regular this time of year. I've been fishing for pike on fly rod.
If you are in the area drop a message in the red river,otter tail forum on this bullentin board and I would give you the basics. Just remember practice on a pond. Make sure there's nothing around you and just keep practicing. Fly selection comes later. Learn to walk before you skydive.

Thanks much for the advice on casting... I WILL use that advice because I printed iti off and put it in my tackle box for that reason. So thanks a bunch st. mark
Jim...
Where is this trout day and what time?

Trout day is saturday this saturday at forestville state park. It is about an hour south of Rochester. If you are interested in going you could meet me some place and ride with me. It starts at 9:00 am. My email address is [email protected]. Let me know whats up. It'll be loads of fun even though the weather won't be that great.

Jimmy

You know that's funny because the rule I live by is: Work is for those who don't like to fish! On the other hand what is a world without work????????? Makes alot of sense doesn't it?

Happy fishing
Jimmy

Jimmy,
I work there fore I can fish.. in other words I spend alot of money fishing. At least in years past but now i have learned that you can catch just as many walleye with a spool of thread some color beads, a good hook and a good poll... all for under 100 dollars

Yeah I know, I was just being a smart @$$. You missed a really good time at trout day though, it was fun. The weather really couldn,t have been worse but it was still a great time. Got to see the faces of some of the fishermen on the forums and shoot the **** with them. See ya round!