• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wrist sling on bow or not?

stick

What are people's thoughts on the wrist sling on a bow (the little loop that goes around your wrist that holds the bow)? I just got into archery a year ago and never got one, and I'm wondering if it's really an essential piece. I understand that you shouldn't grip the bow too tightly and let it "fall" away once you release the arrow. I shoot a lot and I have focused on a loose grip, and I haven't seen the need for the sling. I have had people say "you don't have a strap...why not...you need one". It's not the $6 that drives my decision, I just like the least amount of extra stuff possible. Lean and mean, baby!

Any thoughts?

If you don't need one then you are fine.

For me I feel much better by leaving a nearly open hand on my riser. I like it when the bow "falls" forward.

Here is a tip. If you have an old belt lying around then knock two holes in it and bolt it to your bow. See if you think your groups improve. If they don't then you aren't out anything, except maybe an old belt.

If you are comfortable without one then you dont have to have one. I personally dont feel comfortable shooting a bow without one anymore because Im so used to it and it stops me from dropping my bow after the shot. If you dont think theres any chance your going to drop your bow with the way you grip the bow now than its not necessary.

Maybe for me its just insurance on the bow, I shoot with a open hand and the strap does not affect me, but when I am in a stand and I have gloves on and the weather is different, I now do not worry about the slipping and gripping change so I do not launch an investment to the ground..

Just my opinion, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure...

Mark

A sling is one more thing to get tangled up or keep you from getting ready if the unexpected buck comes through. I just read a book by Bill Winke and he has a point that anything that can save you time (even seconds) is very crucial to taking big game. He even goes on to explain that he doesn't use a loop string for his release because it might take his eyes off the approaching game. Just a thought and how particular or efficiant you want to be? Personally I have used one and found it only made it harder to "get ready" and if you have gloves on in late season that too can effect your ready-ness.

I see that only time you really need a sling is if your bow jumps out of your hand to much or your shooting at a very steep angle down like the base of your stand. That's my .02.

Good Luck,

mr

String loop and sling for me. I've had a sling on for about 20 years and never a problem. Sure I can shoot just fine without it but my subconcious mind lets me shoot better with it. And there's the added benefit that it won't hit the ground if it would pop away from my bow hand. I use a 1/4 inch black rope and it's loose and hangs on my wrist. The hunting bow setup has more slack of course than the target setup. The loop is a giant plus. No string wear and I can let down without having the arrow pop off the string once in a while. Won't happen with the loop. Plus your release is anchored dead on behind your arrow so better arrow flight. I just use a TruBall with the regular caliper head design. I guess I've been using a loop for about

10 years or so. My latest upgrade is a drop away rest on the hunting bow. QAD total containment rest. It's Awesome!

I've never shot a bow without one. It was always my understanding that I shouldn't grip the bow with my hand while shooting because it would interfere with developing a consistent release and follow through.

I've never shot a bow without one. It was always my understanding that I shouldn't grip the bow with my hand while shooting because it would interfere with developing a consistent release and follow through.

ya me too, Its all about the grip torque. when I shoot the bow sits against the inside heel area of my relaxed, open hand and I dont even grab the bow until after I've shot. Thats what the best shooters say is the correct form. I know lots of guys take the grip off completely.