• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish

Rick

So I never have fished for catfish before memorial day of this year. I was fishing from a pier near my home for whatever might take my large sucker minnow, after catching a few northern my minnows decided to kick the bucket. So instead of dumping them and headin home I decided to try a spot on the minnesota river near a bike trail I had seen previously while biking. From everything I've read it screamed catfish heaven (even though I've never caught one in my 20 yrs of fishing) So with half a dozen dead minnows I trekked down to the spot. Took a minnow, sliced up the gut and lobbed it out. 10 minutes later, first cat. A 17 pound flathead. I thought that was kind of fun, maybe I'll try another. 10 minutes later another run, lost fist. 10 minutes later another run hooked fish, big fish. I fought the fish for about 15 minutes, and the first time I seen it, I thought It was a small submarine sufacing (sounded like one too). Now all I had was 10lb test with a med heavy 6.5' pole, so I did what I could to play the fish in, but managed to break the pole and my line in the process. Fortunatly the fish was close enough for me to lunge and grab the lower lip. I was also lucky enough to have some people ride up in their bikes at the same time, so I could take a quick pic and get her back in. The fish was 45" long and I estimated it at 40-50lbs. Needless to say, I am now hooked, and trying for even a bigger one. Might take awhile.
Screamin clickers to everyone!
flathead.jpg
If the pic doesn't show up try this http://members.tripod.com/~d.tro/flathead.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by dtro (edited 08-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dtro (edited 08-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dtro (edited 08-20-2000).]

<,,><---CAT MAN NEWS FLASH----><,,>

It sounds like next year Jim Moyer will be running a event in the Selkirk MB Canada area to replace the Cats Classic, that is no more.

Stu McKay announced Sunday night this was his last tournament, and Moyer took up the cause and plans to keep it a annual event.

VERY COOL! Next year may be even better with even more $$,$$$$.$$ in the pot!

More sponsors and even more prizes? We can only hope it all works out! I think it will or it wouldn't have been announced with such confidence? Most anglers that placed plan on returning next year and we all let it be known we want it to continue.

I highly recommend anyone who loves to wrestle big piggy cats to keep a ear open for a announcement soon to a start up date for applications! I will keep my ears and eyes open for the news on were to get applications.

"Backwater Eddy"...............><,,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 08-22-2000).]

Deadline Approaching!!

Catfish Extravaganza Tournament, Glasgow, MO on the Missouri River Deadline Approaching!!

The slots are filling up for the Fall Catfish Extravaganza scheduled for Sept 30 - Oct 1. A maximum field of 100 boats will be allowed and there is a registration deadline of Sept. 8 to get your entry in for this tournament. It will be held in Glasgow, MO on the Missouri River and offers a 100% PAYBACK!!(Plus other donated cash & prizes) If only 70 boats enter first place will pay $10,000.00!!!!!!

For complete information visit: http://www.wwcats.com
or E-mail: [email protected]

------------------
"Backwater Eddy"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 09-07-2000).]

Water has come up on the Red due to heavy rains in the central section of the River.

Word has it from a guide conection of mine up at Lockport the rising water levels has the piggy cats piled up and feeding up for winter.

If one good cat trip is left for you this year head North soon!

This is when the biggest cats of the years show so it may be well worth the trip!

Walleye may be picking up there also, look for North winds to push the green backs into the River soon!

Backwater Eddy.............><,,>

HEYO!

THE MINNESOTA IS GOOD PLACE TO FIND
LARGE CATFISH - LARGE FLATHEADS ARE
PRETTY COMMON. LARGE FISH IN MY OPINION
ARE 10-30 LBS ALTHOUGH THE HUGE ONES
(40 LBS+) ARE IN THERE. BELLE PLAINES
ANNUAL CONTEST WINNER I BELIEVE WAS 47LBS.
ALL FISH ARE RELEASED IF POSSIBLE (I THINK
YOU CAN THROW ONE OF THESE GUYS IN THE BACK
OF YOUR TRUCK OVER NIGHT AND HE'LL SWIM
AWAY THE NEXT DAY!)-- we don't know that.
THE BEST THING TO USE ARE LARGE CREEK CHUBS
(I WISH WE COULD USE SMALL SUNNIES - IS
THAT A BAD THING?) THE CHUBS ARE USUALLY
HARD TO COME BY SO I CATCH MY OWN WITH A
FLU FLU.
I WAS TALKING WITH DAN GAPEN AT THE SPORT SHOW LAST YEAR AND SET ME UP WITH A REAL
NICE CLICKER AND ONE OF HIS RODS (GUARENTEED
FOR LIFE NO MATTER WHAT)
WELL IF THE RIVER ISN'T UP IN THE TREES,IT
CAN BE ALOT OF FUN AND BRING A COUPLE OF
SHAD RAPS FOR THE EYES. I USUALLY WALK IN
THE WATER IF POSSIBLE WHEN THROWING RAPS
BUT BE REAL CAREFUL!
A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT ALRIGHT - RIGHT
THROUGH MY BRIAN! I ALWAYS TELL MY WIFE
IF I DONT EVER SEE HER AGAIN I LOVE HER.
BACK AT DARK THIRTY.
SPRING FEVER ALREADY------GEEEEZ!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Dark30
I agree the Minnesota river is a great place to catch nice cats.I fish around the mankato area and have had good luck fishing creek mouths. I prefer to use large suckers but have caught nice cats on chubs.
I have entered the Bel Plain contest for at least 10 years and have place in a few. Two years ago I entered a 49 pound cats that was good enough for 2nd (got beat by a 50# in the last 20 minutes of the contest)Check out my homepage for my pictures http://www.hickorytech.net/~rschluet/

BOBCAT,
YOU MUST GO FISHING AT THE POWER PLANT ON THE NORTH END OF TOWN IN MANKATO? I HAVEN'T BEEN THERE(YET) BUT CAN YOU WALK OR DRIVE INTO THAT AREA AND FISH FROM SHORE? I'M REALLY READY TO DO THE RIVER ALTHOUGH I'LL BE FISHING S.E.MN FOR THE FIRST FEW WEEKS STEADY.
WET NETS!

------------------

Dark30
You can get there from the east side, turn across from the truck stop (it is a private drive but no one has bothered me when I have fished it.)You can also park by McDonalds and walk under the bridge (1/2 mile walk)
If your looking for a easy place to fish that I know has big ones try the Bottom/Judson road across from Sibely park. The fishing really picks up around the last week of May and the first week of June especially when the river hits about 10 feet. Check this site out for river depths.
http://wwwmn.cr.usgs.gov/rt-cgi/gen_tbl_pg
look under the Minnesota river basin for the Minnesota river near Mankato.

BOBCAT,
THANKS FOR THE TIPS! I WENT TO THAT RIVER LEVEL SITE (COOL) AND I SOMEHOW GOT TO ANOTHER SITE CALLED MAPTECH MAPSERVER AND ITS GOT REALLY GOOD MAPS OF THE RIVER BOTTOMS! BETTER THAN MY BELOVED MN ATLAS & GAZETTEER / YELLOW PAGES. YOU SEEM TO KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND COMPUTERS -- I'M READY TO SHOOT MINE!

------------------

JUST THOUGHT I'D GET THIS CATFISH FORUM BACK TO A RESPECTABLE PLACE IN LINE.
I LIKE TROUT IN THE SPRING BUT AFTER THAT ITS CATFISH TIME! A GUY SHOWED ME PICTURES OF NICE CHANNELS THEY WERE CATCHING OUT OF A BOAT AND THERE WAS SNOW ON THE BANK BEHIND THEM! I ALWAYS THOUGHT CATS DIDN'T LIKE COLD WATER.
WET NETS

------------------

Where are some good catfish spots on the Mississsippi near St. Cloud? I have caught some fish at the dam but only at certain times. Will catfish bite right now or in a few weeks at any of your lacations? I am getting sick of ice fishing and want to find some active cats as soon as possible. Help me! Thanks AJ

Cool Cats I'd like to know more also.I have never had any luck in water less than 50 degess and with the MN River opening this week I can't wait for a fix.I did snag a big one one year while jiging for walleye,fought like a log, absolutely no life in him.

i can't tell you exact spots to fish, but look for shallow flats along bends and such. the cat move in right at ice out to scavenge the dead bait fish . this only last for a week or two then they move out. hope this helps!