• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie

Rick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is looking for a high concentration of muskies, I recommended the southside of the lake early. Not all muskies spawn on the southside but MOST do. Yes there are muskies on the northend this time of year but they concentrate on the northside by Garrison to Red Door in August. Since I catch many tagged muskies and talk to the DNR it gives me the the opportunity to learn more. There was a northern tagged by the DNR in Wahkon Bay that was caught in Miller Lake, which means it went to Borden Lake by Garrison and swam up Miller Creek. The ironic thing it was caught the next year in Wahkon!!! All of the Muskies I have caught on the northshore were tagged early May in Twin Bay, Isle Bay and Wahkon Bay. Many are now 16 years old. These fish are 51 inches long. If these fish are tagged in 1985 then how long are the fish stocked in the early 70's? Must be the ones that ripped the splitrings and tore the hooks off my lures! I wish the Mille Lacs tournament included the northshore. Last time they let me fish the entire lake, I won by 14 feet over second place in a total inch tournament. I think it has alot to do with them drawing a line across the lake and keeping me out of the Garrison to Fishers Resort area! Anyway, don't ever think about guiding muskies it is one heck of a rollercoaster ride. My goal is 100 muskies this year! And yes I am replacing my splitrings with heavyduty ones from Lakeland Tackle in Isle. I take little old ladies out and let them catch them. On August 13th 24 grandmas will get free dinner and Castaways Charters will take them fishing. Biggest so far is a 86 year old caught a 46 1/2 incher. This year we are guiding a 100 year old lady from New Prague. Hope she gets a 50! Good luck fishing and sharpen your hooks!

------------------
Castaways Charters
Mille Lacs Lake Guides
CastawaysCharters.com
Phone: (320) 684-2886

Clueless; I was just reading your post on 03-02-01 on this page and noticed your ideal on tubes,I to have tryed the same ideal with pvc pipe. works great for buicktails & wooded lures, for drying out, I fish with my 8 year old thats got to change lures ever other cast, that he call his change up for lures, ha ha ,but it seems he would pull one out of the tubes and change his mind,cause he couldnt see what he whated. so i used the same methed on pvc tubes, but only clear see through plastic tubes,i got from a tubbing co. @ 80 cents apeace cut to 10-12 in.long and glude together, witch works out great for to see what hes craping before pulling out what he realy doest what to put on his leader. also the center tube can be fited for a 2ft.pole seat or any type of pole seat,to where all you have to do look down and grap lure, you can see clear tube; sure hope ths silly idea works for somebody else; HAVE A GOOD CATCH (CPR)

------------------

The PVC thingie is the way to go. I made mine about 5 years ago and it still looks new and has not come apart...knock on wood. That PVC glue is some strong stuff!! I made mine with the outer 2 rings 12" and the inner square 8". I put my bucktails in the center and everything else on the outer rings. The depression in the center is also handy for plastics or whatever else fits in there. I also took an old shoulder strap off of an old sports bag and fastened it for a carry strap. What I like best about it is that you can add more sections as your muskie tackle inventory grows...an unavoidable side effect of muskie fever smile.gifAs for guiding for muskie, I would rather do that any day over walleye guiding. It makes my day when a client wants to go for muskie or if I can persuade a die-hard walleye guy to go after skis...especially when I know they are active.
Muskieman, ticks me off too about the anti-north end rules frown.gif
>"////=<

JUST WOUNDERING WERE ALL THE MUSKIE FISHERMAN WENT TO AFTRER THE SEASON STARTED. TO BUSY FISHING TO POST. I WISH I WAS. WENT OUT ON ALEXANDER EAST OF BRAINERD A COUPLE TIMES AND ONLY ROSE TWO FISH WITH ONE FOLLOWING A FIG 8 BUT NO HIT. WENT TO CEDAR LAKE IN AITKIN COUNTY(NEW LAKE TO ME)AND DID NOT SEE ANY. GOING BACK OUT AGAIN ON THURS. TALK TO YOU THEN.

HAPPY HUNTING
DUCK

Alexander has some really large fish, but it gets hit so darn hard!
I've yet to get out after skis this year, too busy fishing smallies!
I will however try to get out on Mille Lacs this Sunday evening. I'll let you know how I do.
>"////=<

GULLGUIDE, GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU. I WENT BACK TO ALEXANDER LAST NIGHT AND BOATED ONE SMALL ONE 36 1/2 INCHES BUT A FISH NON THE LESS. GOT BLOWN OFF ABOUT 7PM FOR A HALF HR OR SO DO TO THE STORM (COUGHT FISH APROX 8:30) MY BRO AND BROINLAW WENT TO MILL LACS.THEY WENT TO VINELAND FIRST BUT DID NOT FIND MUCH CABAGE, THEN THEY BOATED OVER TO COVE BAY WERE THEY FOUND A GOOD AMOUNT. THEY SEEN 5 FISH AND HAD ONE ON IN THE MID TO UPPER 40S CLASS. HOPE THIS HELPS IN YOUR QUEST ON SUNDAY.

GOOD LUCK AND
HAPPY HUNTING
DUCK

WELL TEAM ESOX FISHED THE 3RD ANNUAL BEMIDJI/BIG LAKE YOURNY THIS WEEKEN AND DID VERY WELL. I PUT ONE FISH IN THE BOAT, A 42 INCHER ON FRI WILE PRE FISHING AND A TEAM MEMBER DOCTOR JUICE PUT A 51 INCHER IN THE BOAT ON SAT TO WIN BIG FISH AND 1ST PLACE. SEEN A LOT OF FISH IN TH LOWER TO UPPER 40S CLASS. ALL WINING FISH CAME OFF OF BIG LAKE. 1ST, 2ND, 3RD, BIGGEST MUSKIE, BIGGEST NORTHERN, BIGGEST YOUTH NORTHERN, BIGGEST YOUTH MUSKIE. TILL ANOTHER TIME.

HAPPY HUNTING
DUCK

Hey Muskie lovers,

I'm a muskie novice and I'd like some info on the toothy critters around the Fargo area. The two lakes I'd really like info on are Big Detriot and Beers. I'd like to fish both a couple of times over the next month- any suggestions as to location and technique. From what I hear it sounds like surface lure time is coming to a close. Is it true that most are trolling for muskies this time or year? Honestly, I don't have a lot of desire to catch one this way- it seems like most of the fun involved would be watching them actually take the bait (like with a surface lure or a shallow running bait). Do I need to stock up on big old cranks for them or is there another way to get the job done? Are most of the fish that are caught in Sep, Oct, and Nov caught while cranking?
Scoot