• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV'S and Deer Hunting

EXTREME

What is everyone's opinion on this subject. I personally own a ATV and use it during deer season. I use it to get to the area I am hunting as well as haul my equipment to the area. I also use it quite a bit to scout and if I do take a deer I use it to haul out the game. Now I know a lot of you guys out there dispise 4-wheelers, but I am interested in why? I use the machine during designated hours and I don't hunt on the machine. I also park it about a 1/4 mile (at least) from where I hunt. Right now, it is the only forseeable way that I can get into the land that I hunt...unless you want to walk 3 miles to get in there. Just interested in some opinions and thoughts. What do you use them for or don't you like them?

What are designated or approved hours?
If ATV's are being used on private land I don't see any problem. But on state land it would kind of be a bummer if someone rides by you when you are on stand.
Also as far as ATV's or PWC's go it's not the machine that creates the problem it's the operater.

I only have about a 1/2 mile walk to any of my stands so I walk. If I had a 3-4 mile walk to where I hunted, I'd ride the ATV. As it is now the only time I use mine is during approved hours and to drag out a deer.

The hunting shack next to me use their's to get out to their stands, they head out really early in the morning. Their stands are about 2-3 miles from their shack, so I understand why they ride out to them. They have never caused a problem for our hunting party.

On the other hand the jerks that drive their trucks up and down the roads near my hunting shack drive me nuts!!! From first light until dark, they ROAD hunt!!! This does bother the deer, sitting in my stand watching deer when a truck drives by all the deer go on alert and get nervous.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 10-13-2004).]

I don't own one, but have occasionally hunted with those who do. We generally don't use them during hunting other than if we get a deer down somewhere we can get to with the ATV that we can't get even close to with a truck or tractor. We hunt private land, so no problem. I would agree on using it on private land as long as you're not using them to "still" hunt with or chase down deer, but as a means of transportation, they're a nice tool. In our areas, there's not much need for one.

Most of the people that I know follow the laws that apply to them....but, don't you just hate that when you hear a wheeler at 8 am. I could see if you had a emergency or something. But the replies are good here. I haven't heard anything real negative about it. The only thing that I object to is when people are actually road hunting with them...including grouse. It takes the chase out of shooting deer when you drive up to them and shoot them off of a wheeler. How exciting can that be?

We use em to drag deer out and thats it, otherwise it sits on a trailer. My problem with that law, if I read it right, is how is it for the state to decide what hours a person can ride an ATV on their own private land, or did I misread that?

------------------
barebackjack IBOT#197
Why ride the wagon when the walk is so scenic?????????

I would bet that law is in place to try and limit people from using ATV's for deer drives, or just using their ATV to run around property to get deer up and moving.

I have no problem at all with the rules as it stands. We hunt private land, and hunt the morning and evenings mainly. If we have deer, we use the ATV to get them out at lunch time or after dark.
Works just fine.
I like the rule as it stands.

Dan
You can only operate ATV's during designated times on private or public.
Here is the rule from the regulations book:

USING SNOWMOBILES AND ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES
To reduce disturbance during the prime hunting times, a person
possessing any valid deer license is restricted to the following hours of
operation for snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs*) during the
firearms deer season, including the muzzleloader season.
Such vehicles may only be operated:
a) before legal shooting time (one-half hour before sunrise),
B) from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m, and
c) after legal shooting hours (one-half hour after sunset).
• This regulation applies to all public and private lands and waters
except for persons using an ATV as a part of their occupation on
their own land who are not in possession of a firearm.
• A permit to operate snowmobiles or ATVs during the closed time
periods may be issued by a DNR conservation officer in an emergency
or other unusual condition.

We use ours between 11 and 2 to get our morning deer out and after sunset to get our afternoon deer out. Other than that, we walk everywhere when we are hunting. Not really against them, I guess. They're not really a problem in our area. The other group that hunts near us has them, but they also follow the regs. for the most part. (early morning, lunch, late evening)

From the results of this thread and the experience I've had in the woods over the years, there doesn't seem to be too much trouble with ATVs used for transportation during hunting. Note I did not say any trouble. There's bound to be some.

Where I hunt, last year at camp, there was about 12 cars parked. Some cars had multiple hunters. At least 8 had ATVs and everyone seemed to follow the regulations we have now.

A couple guys gave rides to others in their group when they went in. The guns were cased and most don't see any problem with giving another a lift down the road a couple of miles.

Overall, I have no problem with the regulations.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 10-14-2004).]

On most days I have no choice but to use my atv to get to and from my stand but use is before daylight or after shooting hours. If any of the other guys get a deer it is normaly field dressed and hand drug to the nearest trail for pick up after dark. The party that hunts next to us hunts the same way so there is not a problem and nobody gets upset if a atv happens to be used out of the normal hours.

Being I also do the best I can at being a achery hunter I have had the opertunity to watch deer as a atv passes by them. Yes they become alert but in most cases( that I have obsevred) they do not flee as long as the atv keeps moving and they guickly settle down after the atv has past. On the other hand if a walking hunter past by the deer in most cases left the area or at least ran to better cover.

I think the regs. on atv's are just fine as they stand, in my area it gives those that chose or need thier atv to hunt to do so in the morning and still make thier afternoon shift or go for lunch.

Quote:

What is everyone's opinion on this subject. I personally own a ATV and use it during deer season. I use it to get to the area I am hunting as well as haul my equipment to the area. I also use it quite a bit to scout and if I do take a deer I use it to haul out the game. Now I know a lot of you guys out there dispise 4-wheelers, but I am interested in why? I use the machine during designated hours and I don't hunt on the machine. I also park it about a 1/4 mile (at least) from where I hunt. Right now, it is the only forseeable way that I can get into the land that I hunt...unless you want to walk 3 miles to get in there. Just interested in some opinions and thoughts. What do you use them for or don't you like them?

I feel the same way you do on this subject.I do use mine during legal hours and for appropriate reasons. I think people that follow the law are just fine. I think people just get angry about riders during prime hours.

Ryan

i was scouting around this weekend, and saw that atv'rs think they can drive whereever they want! well I dont think so, they were driving past closed areas, those kind of drivers are the ones that p*ss me off, (sentence edited by jlm) I respect those who follow the regs.

-Good Luck out there!

I did not feel this was appropriate in this forum. FM does not encourage the destruction of property in any form.

JMN, don't stoop down to the level of some others who don't follow the regulations. Glass that would puncture a tire could just as easily puncture a boot. Is there any way you could've gotten the license number of those ATVs? Calling in those would be a big help.

Dave, I would not break any glass that WOULD puncture boots and tear up dog's paws. Just trying to send a message to those who dont respect our laws. Thanks for looking out, haven't caught anyone in the process of driving passed the closed gates.

-Good Luck out there

-JN

Again, I personally would not encourage this behavior nor would FM. Please refrain from making comments with respect to destrcution of property. Thanks!

Well, my Dad and Uncles use them where I hunt. They ride almost to the stand. I have shot a few deer going away from them as I am the only one driving the deer. Me - great for dragging but, I am still young enough to get off my ### and walk to the deer stand. The comment is my frustration at my family (not you) and them wondering why on some drives, (when they are 15' from the ATV they JUST drove down) the deer are turning and taking differnt routes!

Also, (long as I am on th soapbox) mad.gif My Father use to walk for grouse now it is riding the darn 4-wheeler everywhere...and he wonders why his lungs are so poor these days?

That is why I am against them generally - walk enjoy nature, don't drive by it~

So, use the atv ethically and most will not have issues!

Whew~ I am ready to visit the family again!

B2

I strongly disagree with the use of ATV's for everything. I sure they are nice for draggin deer out of the woods...but its not exactly hunting. It makes you think twice about taking that shot on that deer. I think the only exception should be for handicapped hunters. But hunting should be like the old days.....WALK

See it's not people that use ATV's like you that I hate, it is the guy who buzzes right next to my stand/blind right as the deer start moving, after I had already been sitting there for three hours waiting. Or the guy who comes flying down the trail as I am going out to my stand and almost runs me over. I applaud people like you who use ATV's responsibally, but also HATE the people who abuse them.

Johnny C