• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally starting my '09 fish house project!

SapperACE

Ace, the house turned out great! Let me know when you head up to Ottertail to do some fishing. I use to live up that way, so I fish there all the time. Just finished up my wheelhouse and dieing to take it out!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do sx2. I'm thinking sometime in Jan i'll be heading up there. Just locked up my red lake trip in Feb so i'm really looking foward to that too.

I'm back to work tonight, or i'd probably be taking the house out this weekend. For sure I hope to have it out by next weekend. I'll try to remember to take pics of the first time out. Thanks everyone for all the compliments. I'm just excited about how nice this house has turned out. I was starting to feel like i'd never get it done. All the headaches turned out to be worth it.

Sorry JimJim I do not have a paper pattern, just a drilled out wooden jig. I did make a paper myself at one point a couple of years ago.

It was actually pretty easy. I just used a compass to draw a 4" diameter circle. I then drew a smaller circle iside of the 4" one. Lastly I figured out an equal distance to drill the holes on the inside cirle. My holes didn't come out exactly evenly spaced (I was never good at math), so I had to remember to drill the holes oppisite for each side of the reel... if that makes any sense.... one side had to mirror the other.

I use a 4" hole saw to cut out the circles when I build them which is the only way to go for obvious reasons. The hole saw will cost about $50, but it's well worth it if you plan on making a ton of them like I have.

One last word of advice on reel making... Don't forget to put the bell in before you pound them together! (you will at least once) They are amazingly hard to pull apart once they're together. Other than that, good luck.

Well JC26, my total COST for everything (including having the frame and shell done for me) was around $8000. That's figuring absolutely nothing for my time or wear and tear on my tools. I also bought my heater and oven/stove used for about half.

I can see why some of those finished, top-end, houses this size are $12000-$15000. It costs alot, and takes alot of time, to build a nice fish house! It's worth it when you're done though! Thanks for looking.

Wow is that nice! I just had 2 questions. How did you fasten the firring strips to the metal studs? Self tappers? I was wondering if you knew about how much it weighed and if it can be pulled with a 4-wheeler when there is minimal snow on the ice? Very nice house, wish I had your woodworking talent!

J.Iverson,

I did use self tappers to attach the firring strips... about 300 of them buggers! It worked pretty well though.

I still havn't had a chance to get this thing on a scale yet. I'm guessing it weighs between 2600-2800 pounds. I pulled it out on it's maiden voyage the weekend of the 18th, and my Polaris Sportsman 450 handled it like a champ. Thats why I went this size. It has a ton of room iside compaired to my old 6.5x12, but being able to pull it with a wheeler was a must. I can't tell you how perfect this house is as far as size and mobility goes. It is the best of both worlds.

Curious if you have had any trouble with your t&g yet. I used the exact same stuff in 2 of the 4 houses I built last year and am having trouble with some major warping on one. the 7x12 we put it in is fine but the 8x16 is having the issues. it is mostly just on the bottom half of the house. i am hoping you will have no problems since you also glued it and have the blower style furnace (if I saw the pics right).

It's funny you should mention that wood duck. I had warping problems a couple of years ago with this stuff in another house I built. That one was a wood framed house with the studs 2' on center. I did not glue that one either, and the T&G ran horizontal. I was thinking (hoping) that the combination of the 2' studs, the lack of glue, and horizontal application was the problem.

This one, the firring strips are 16" on center, I glued every single piece, and the T&G runs vertically. So far it is holding up great. I also think that the gap that the firring strips create between the exterior studs and the T&G will help with condensation issues.

That's a really nice house. I'm assuming that the windows were included in the price you paid for the shell but not the floor. How about trailer lights? I'm about 250 miles from Lakefield and it's probably not a good idea to drag one that far without lights.Do you like everything about the trailer and the cranking system? I appreciate any info you can give, I'm thinking of building a house similar to yours and that shell looks nicer than anything I can buy locally.

Ybone,

I'll try my best to answer your questions.

-The windows and door were not included in the shell price from E&T.

-I did install both the floor and the lights myself. E&T ran the main wires for the lights and that was it. I know he would install them for you if you asked though.

-The trailer cranking/wheel system is the coolest, strongest, smartest thing on the market. It is very easy to operate, and it works very well. Mine was one of the bigger ones he's ever done with the hand crank, so we had to switch winches, (different gear ratio) which E&T totally covered. Mine is also the longest he will build without doing a tandem axle with hydralics. The length and weight of some houses out there without tandems is scary.

Shoot me an email at jaydhd@hotmail dot com. I'd be glad to chat with you in more detail.

that glue must be "3M™ VHB™ Heavy Duty Mounting Tape" looks like quite a few trailer manufactures are going to this...didn't see and excess glue on your pictures of the inside prior to finishing it so the tape must be used.

What is the roof made out of...rubber or aluminum?

What is the best way to fasten the aluminum siding to the metal or wood frames. Also I have found the siding in 2 different sizes one. In 9" pieces that can be purchased in long trailer sized lengths. The other in 4 x 8 sheets. Which one is better. Also when siding can you get away from sheathing or should you still sheath it? Thanks

Here are a couple pics of the new house in action. Myself and a couple buddies were lucky enough to make a quick trip to Red Lake this last week. Wasn't as fast and furious as Red can be, but we caught a bunch of nice fish and had a good time. The new house worked excellent!

DSC03296.jpgDSC03305.jpgDSC03299.jpgDSC03307.jpg