• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally starting my '09 fish house project!

SapperACE

2 more questions guys:

1. Where would be a good place (besides fishhouse supply) to pick up some 12v wire cheap. I tried the parts store in my hometown, but a big roll was $40. I thought that seemed a little high, but maybe not.

2. Where, other that fish house supply again, do you guys recommend looking for a dinette for my house that folds down into a bed. I may just build it myself, but I want to explore some other ideas and options.

Thaks in advance!

Looks like I am late and you already have the wire, but Waytek wire is in Minnesota and that is where my last job got alot of wire from. They have a big selection of 12V wire and accessories. I won't list the HSOforum, but just do a search for Waytek Wire.

As for the dinette, I would go to a camper place and start measuring and then make your own.

Did I hear you right that you are adding AC to it for use as a camper in the summer? Good idea. That will keep the wife happy. I would like to see how you do that too. I might be able to get mine plan for a house past the finance committee(AKA wife), if I told her that it could also be a camper with AC.

Also could you let me know where you have this house at? I am not that far away and would love to see it. You can email me at [email protected] with the information.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks fish4fun. I checked out that Waytek place, and that is an awesome site! I will definitely be ordering some stuff from there.

For the Dinette, I was leaning towards building it myself and then buying cousions from somewhere.

Lastly, the guy who built my house is located right on HWY 86 in Lakefield, MN. E&T enterprises is what his business is called. He always has a house or two going, and he would be more than happy to show you how its done. He's a genius of a welder and fabricator. As far as seeing mine goes, I fish on Big Spirit all the time in the winter. You're more that welcome to stop by and check it out there when its done. Right now there isn't much to see more than what you can see at E&T's shop. Thanks for all the suggestions!

iafish4fun,did you know that by you telling us and we signing up with Waytek, you get a 10% discount. if you send me your name I will let them know it was you.

I do not buy anything from them, the last company that I used to work did. I have looked at their catalog and dreamed of a few things that I could use, but never personally bought anything from Waytek.

It is good to hear that they offer something like. Very good company to get stuff from.

Thanks fish4fun. I checked out that Waytek place, and that is an awesome site! I will definitely be ordering some stuff from there.

For the Dinette, I was leaning towards building it myself and then buying cousions from somewhere.

Lastly, the guy who built my house is located right on HWY 86 in Lakefield, MN. E&T enterprises is what his business is called. He always has a house or two going, and he would be more than happy to show you how its done. He's a genius of a welder and fabricator. As far as seeing mine goes, I fish on Big Spirit all the time in the winter. You're more that welcome to stop by and check it out there when its done. Right now there isn't much to see more than what you can see at E&T's shop. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks for lead on a shop.

I will definately look you up on Spirit. I try to spend as much time up there as possible in the winter. That is why I would like to build a house to save money on gas and/or motel stay.

Bassislife,

I was in no way bad mouthing fishhouse supply. They are great folks, and I have ordered a TON of stuff from them over the years. They have always got the stuff too me quick and it has been excellent quality. The only reason I said "besides fishhouse supply" was because I already knew they had what I needed. I was simply looking for other ideas.

Again, sorry if it seemed like I was talking bad about them. I definately have nothing but good things to say about FHS!

I know a guy who spray foamed everything, and he said it made the house seem almost "too air tight" if thats possible. My father in law is also a carpenter of 30 years, and he said that he fears that the sprayfoam would keep the house from breathing.

I plan on putting in the pink sheeted foam insulation, then a vapor barrier (which lets the house breath), then furring, then T&G paneling. This will also save me about $300-$500 over SF. I've have had the steel stud debate on this site before, and I have seen first hand that it does not seem to conduct cold in a fish house any more than wood does. Thanks for the ideas though.

I haven't seen much regarding the use of fans here, but -

I have found that 12V COMPUTER fans (3 or 4 inch) work

wonders for keeping the heat down where its needed. 2 of

these draw less current than my Vexilar, according to

my meter. I even use one in my 6x8 portable now - it

will run all day on a Vexilar battery. Don't get the big

6" automotive-type fans meant for clearing windows - they

draw too much current, and create a cold draft besides.

All you need is to gently bring the air down from the ceiling.

And as for forced-air furnaces, they are great but in my experience they eat batteries too quickly. A few years ago

I "babysat" my friends 8x12 while he was gone. I rotated

2 batteries, one a standard-size car batt which only

lasted one day, the other was a huge CATERPILLAR battery,

which lasted 2 days. Never again.

Think about getting a solar battery charger - they work

all day, every day the sun shines, whether you use the

house or not. I use one - and I don't normally have to

bring my battery back to charge it the entire winter.

As for condensation issues, I put in 4 2" circular vents,

of the type used in eaves, with inner close-offs so I

could control the amount of fresh air. (Sometimes the

air on the upwind side of the house was a little TOO fresh!)

And perhaps MOST important - get and use a carbon monoxide

detector if you plan on sleeping in the house. I have one

attached with velcro in my house - and I have peace of

mind when I sleep out there.

Good luck.

Those are all excellent points out_fisherman. Thank you for all of your advise.

I have to say its good to hear from someone who accually has used one of those solar panel battery chargers. I've been kicking around the idea of getting one, but I have never really heard specifics, in hours and days, about how well they work.

About the FA furnace thing... I have had them in my last 2 houses, and I loved them. They made the house so comfortable, and I didn't think the battery usage was too out of control. I always made it at least 2 days on a charged battery. I am also extra comfortable with the battery usage thing because I'll have a 2000w generator this winter. I'll be able to charge my batteries while I watch a movie or whenever else I run the generator. I definitly agree though that dead batteries are about the most annoying thing in the world!

Lastly, I have always had carbon monoxide detectors in my houses. Good point on that... thats a must have.

I bought the totally outside air furnace, in from outside and vent outside furnace from menards so no gassing could happen and still have a CO2 detector, heats 450 sq ft so plenty of heat,it has convection heat, had a problem of thermocline happening so this year we are planning to put in computer fans because simply waving a paperplate moved the air good enough to heat the floor as for solar panels I have 100 sq in on my boat and figure I get 1/3 more out of my trolling motor batteries during the day so yes panels work good but they are expensive may be cheaper to buy generator and charger to be beneficial

Like I said earlier... I'm going to save the the $500 and do the pink foam on the inside. Those vents break and give mice the perfect place to enter the house. I've already done a ton of research on this, and made my decision. Thanks for the advise though.

I put the pink insulation in my walls just measure every stud then cut it with the table saw. You can make a a very tight fit! I was up on red lake when it was -40 last year kept the house at 73 and in three days still had propane left in a 20 pound cylinder after three days, that was without floor insulation. I think i'm going to buy the foam kit this year and do the floor.

Like I said earlier... I'm going to save the the $500 and do the pink foam on the inside. Those vents break and give mice the perfect place to enter the house

The vents I'm talking about can't break. Well anyway they have not on my houses. They are all aluminum and can't crack. I got them from Fish House supply. they are all aluminum here is a link to them, you will find them towards the bottom of this page

http://fishhousesupply.com/furnaces.htm

I've had really good luck doing pink foam just like you said sx2. It has always kept my houses toasty too. About insulating the floor... You are going to be so happy you did that. The first house I ever built didn't have an insulated floor the first year I had it out. It wasn't miserable, but I really noticed the difference the next year. I could walk around in my socks all day after the floor was insulated.

Just to give you an idea on the spray foam: I am getting my floor done this wed. and the guy said he'd do it for less than $300. That seemed like an ok deal to me considering they're going to have to crawl under the thing to do it. I'll post pics of it when it's done, and let you guys know exactly what it cost. So far I have been really impressed with these guys; H.I.S. foam out of Mankato is who they are.

I have not posted any pics in a while, so I thought I'd post some pics of the inside of my LAST house. (this is NOT the '09 house) to give you guys an idea of what I plan to do on the inside of my new one. I really like the T&G so I'll be doing that again, and I will do an oven stove like this one also. And of course catch covers from FHS.

I'll try to get more pics of the new house on here soon. Thanks for looking!

fh5.jpgfh6.jpgfh7.jpgfh10.jpg