• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally starting my '09 fish house project!

SapperACE

Something to consider when wiring your house with a possible use of a generator, consider if your generator has a 220 plug. If it does you may want to wire 220 to a small breaker box then split it off from there or just take the 220 inside and split it half and half, less resistance this way. Your buddy should be able to help you with this.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullhead,

That looks like a hard-core fishing unit. I respect that! Lots of room for all the guys. I like that concept, but mine is going to need to be a little more "plush" if you will. The only reason I'm building this new house is because I convinced my wife that we could use it as a camper also. She likes to fish too, but I gotta keep her comfy to keep her happy. Thanks alot for the pics!

Medic,

I have already printed a copy of your reccomendation for that 220 thing. My bro is hopefully going to help me with the wiring this week, so I'll run it by him. Thanks for the advise. Thats the kind of stuff I was hoping for!

Ace don't overlook one thing to please the wife take special care in building the privvy

With 5 guys no doubt the bathroom had to be outside we strap a 2 plywoood canvas sided crapper to the side, it only took one time at mille lacs with the outhouse 3/4 mile away that we all decided we need our own close we are looking into how we could heat it now

2 more questions guys:

1. Where would be a good place (besides fishhouse supply) to pick up some 12v wire cheap. I tried the parts store in my hometown, but a big roll was $40. I thought that seemed a little high, but maybe not.

2. Where, other that fish house supply again, do you guys recommend looking for a dinette for my house that folds down into a bed. I may just build it myself, but I want to explore some other ideas and options.

Thaks in advance!

I would check with some of the camper surplus/scratch and dent places for some good deals.

For the wire, check Menards,Home Depot,Lowes.etc.

We have used house wiring for all our 12v stuff, and the switches also. Worked out great, with multiple wires in same loom.

I will try some of those larger stores before I buy any wire. I have also always used 110 switches in the past. I suppose I could use 110 wiring also, but that stuff is pretty expensive too. We'll just have to see.

I don't live too far away from Jake's RV salvage in Fairmont. I'll check there for dinettes. I gotta go there to get my furnace and oven/stove anyway. Does anyone know of any other RV salvage places in my area?

was talking to a friend he says he uses a trolling motor battery and an DCtoAC inverter to run his TV and dvd player,lights and fans gets about 3 days out of it then hooks pickup up to the battery for 15-20 minutes so if you don't want to spend the money for generator right away wire it with an inverter in the series as for wire you can use lamp cord or protected 2wire for 12V

I'd post some new pics, but I havn't got anything done! I scored some wire this weekend from my father-in-law so I hope to finally start wiring this week.

I'll get some new pics on this week as soon as I make some progress.

I picked up some exterior trailer clearence lights (all LED's) yesterday, and I came accross a ton of 12v wire. I now have everything I need to start wiring inside and out. I decided I will be adding auto pilot (as I like to call it) as well. This is a system of switches that are put near my rattle wheels which will cause a light outside to light up when line is taken out. Should be pretty cool. It will turn my house into 1 big tip up! I know a bunch of guys who have done it, and its not too tough. I will describe in more detail when that time comes.

I also lined up to have the floor spray foamed. A contractor in Jackson, MN subs jobs out to another company out of Rochester. They will be doing a job in Jackson in the next week or two, and I just have to take it to the job site. Not exactly sure what its gonna cost yet, but I'll make sure to let you all in on these details also when I have them.

I should have a ton more pics by this weekend or early next week. Keep checking. Lets keep this thread fresh to help pass these dog days of summer waiting for hard water!

I'm not sure what kind they are sx2. They are nice and clean looking though. They're the small rectangle ones that are secured from the outside with 2 screws or bolts. I had the flush mounted round lights in my old house. They looked very nice, but they really let the cold air in. It was hard to insulate around those kind since they had that housing that stuck out on the inside of the house. I went with all low profile LED's for the outside that are secured from the outside. I think they'll look really nice.

I got the lights at a fleet and farm store in Windom for $6.99 a pop. Thats about what I found them for on various online places. Too bad I didn't know you could've hooked me up. Maybe next time wink

I finally got my trailer lights installed today, and they look awesome! They're all LED's like I have earlier mentioned. I also went with a 7 prong plug to plug it into the pickup. I used shrink tube connectors on EVERYTING, so hopefully the wiring holds up well.

I have to say, I referred to the "trailer wiring 101" post in the "expert advise forum" several times to keep me on the right track. What a great post that was! Thanks fellow FM member for bailing me out on that. Enjoy the pics, and I'll post some more soon hopefully.

DSC00041.jpg[img http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/jaydhd/DSC00037.jpgDSC00034.jpg.jpgDSC00036.jpgDSC00039.jpgDSC00038.jpgDSC00046.jpgDSC00045.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "loom" sx2. The backs of the lights had rubber seals that protect the wires from any rubbing that would result in shorting. If you can explain that to me a little better I am definitly interested in saving myself any future headaches.

It is a hard plastic that you can run your wires in to protect them from rubbing on sharp edges. I was looking at the sixth pic down, the wire looks like it runs in the tubing to the light,thats were i would run the loom but if you have a rubber gasket were the hole is you should be fine.I just don't want you to be going down the road and lose all running lights.

I'm still waiting for the spray foam guy to call me. I'm about to call H.I.S. foam out of Mankato and just get it done there. I have heard good things about them. Other that that, I have made no recent progress. I have some days off next week though and hope to make some headway. I will post more pics as soon as I do.

In the mean time, I thought it would be cool for everyone to put a pic on here of their favorite feature in their own houses. I'm still wide open on the layout of the inside of the house, and would love to see some good ideas.