• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Okoboji Fishing Reports -West Okie Also

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of Sunday it was still 80% ice from what I could see. but I was on the north end looking from Haywards Bay and Pikes Point area looking south. Everything north of Pikes Point is open. There was still some ice left on Anglers Bay and in the area of Hales Slough water temp where we fished on Spirit was around 37 degrees.

I drove through today, looks like most of the ice is gone and the dock setting has begun.

Smith's Bay still has some ice left but with the winds we have had over the last few days it won't last long.

Same deal with Spirit. I was just at Angler's this morning and it looks clear. The wind has been wicked the last few days.

Thanks for the report Ed I figured there wouldn't be much left by now but could only post what I knew for sure. Its only a matter of time before the smallies start biting and the crappies start moving in. We'll need some consistent warmer temps beofre I make another trip down. Unless I have nothing to do which is a good possibility right now.

No problem at all, I will be fishing Storm all weekend, we have a walleye tourney Sunday and another one coming up in the next few weeks. My father went nuts and bought us another new Lund and put a Hummingbird with the side scan sonar on it. I have been chomping at the bit for weeks to get out.

I will give you guys an update after the tourney and let you know how the fishing has been.

You guys are just never happy with what you've got. Im assuming you got rid of your alumacraft? You'll definitely like the Side imaging I know a couple people who have them and really like them. It might have been better to wait for the new Lowrance Side imaging units but im sure it wont be too much different.

I don't think dad can afford both of us Muc:) As far as waiting on the Lowrance, we talked about it and got antsy.

We traded the Alumacraft off after we headed out on the Des Moines River for some walleyes and had engine problems again...

It was a service issue with the dealership, we had the boat in 4 times for the same problem. I googled some common problems with that engine type, popped the cover and found the factory spark plugs still painted in. I took them out and cleaned them and the boat started fine. We decided at that point we didn't want anything else to do with that dealership.

We went that day to the Lund dealer that is sponsoring some of these tourneys we are in and traded it in. They have an outstanding service record.

Maybe we can get together this May or June at our little place on Spirit, do some fishing, grill some fish and have some beverages. Let me know what works for you guys. I am heading out this morning to start pre-fishing for this tourney, wish us luck.

ep. Good luck fishin. If you need a jump start with the Humminbird, give me a shout. There are some very specific settings, in order to optimize the effectivness of the unit. Be glad to help. If you want to see my screencaptures, youll need to give me an email addy, as I cannot post a link here.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

West Okoboji Lake

Northern Pike - Good: Use white spinner-baits or jerk baits in Miller's, Emerson, and North Bay along remaining weed beds. Bluegill - Good: Use small ice jigs tipped with wax worms along the docks at Triboji or along docks and downed trees in Turtle Lake. Largemouth bass - Excellent: Use jerk baits or soft plastics along boat docks in the bays. Muskellunge - Fair: Some fish activity has been reported with fish over 50 inches being caught with large blade or jerk baits.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

East Okoboji Lake

White Bass - Fair: Fish at the Hwy 9 Bridge at sunset or at the spillway near the fish hatchery with a lead head and minnow. Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs tipped with wax worms at the Trestle. Walleye - Good: Drift or troll in the Parks Marina, Stoney, and Jingles Point areas with Lindy rigs baited with night crawlers, leeches, or minnows. Fish from shore at the Hwy 9 and Triggs bridge using a lead head and minnow at night. Yellow bass - Good: Fish at the spillway and wind blown shorelines with a small jig tipped with a minnow or shiner

Have fun checking all the info below and let's swap info. We'd hope to hear from you too.

Iowa Fishing reports - Click here for even more NW Iowa info

Hello guys,

I live in Texas but am coming back HOME next weekend to visit family and am going to get out for some fishin! I have never fished West Okoboji.....but am thinking about coming over to give it a try. Mainly after muskies and pike.

Are the pike still in the weeds or have they moved out to deeper water now? I don't have a lake map (yet) but have the ability to look at google maps....some points are labled on there. What are some good places just to get me started? Any suggestions?