• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting on tax fortited land

East Rush Rules

I agree with everybody else. Tax Forfeit land is county/state owned land, i.e. public!

side note: it's too bad that once the state gets that land back, they keep it and it stays State land. My family has looked into offering the state good $$$$ for old tax land, and we have been told that it is officially State land and NOT FOR SALE. I am in the Hardwood Lumber Manufacturing industry and we get a lot of our logs from private land owners. My experience has shown that private land owners tend to do a better job with sustainable forestry practices. What is happening is private land ownership is decreasing and state/fed land ownership is increasing. We have tax forfeit land surronding our 80 acres up in Superior National Forest near Orr and offered to buy a couple 40's from the state. What upsets me is that if this land was once O.K. to be privately held, how come they won't sell it back to the public? I am sure the the money could be used wisely for many things, e.g. more CO officers in the field, hunting/fishing education, multi-use trail systems, etc. Maybe i'm wrong, maybe auctions are held to sell old tax forfeit land, but I've never heard of such.

Some counties sell their tax forfeited land, some do not. I know Aitkin county has an auction for theirs, and I have a buddy in Warroad who won (bought) a tax-forfeited piece in an auction.

I have land in Itasca County, and they do not sell their tax forfeited land.

Becker County is trying to put some up for auction but there is pretty stiff opposition from those that use it now for free. Of course the county would benefit by having it back on the tax roles. There is plenty of public land around but you can't make everyone happy. I beleive a vote will be made by the county board in the near future.

I had a prime 40 acre deer spot that was tax forfieted sold on me 1 week before bow season.

What the county land office told me, and this was in Beltrami County, is that anyone can request that TF land be put on auction, the county checks it out and then the sale is made public and conducted in a closed bid format. You submit your bid and if it the highest you win. One catch- The bid must be equal to or greater than the assessed timber value of the land.

I need to check back into that land because for 2 years it was posted every 10 feet, the last few times I drove by there were no signs at all. Maybe they let it go back....hopefully.

I guess I do not know for a fact that Itasca County doesn't sell its tax forfeited lands. I heard that they don't sell from my neighbors up there.

There is county land right across the road from my place, with a stand of pines and a sign saying they were planted by the Itasca County Land Department in the 1960's. I know of a few other stands like that within a few miles of my place.