• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camping

Doop

Anyone ever bold/crazy enough to camp while ice fishing? I would like to try it sometime...I would think as long as you were prepared it would be okay.

Not quite sure how well a tent would hold up in snow...but it's something I would like to try before I pass on to greener pastures!

Anyone ever bold/crazy enough to camp while ice fishing? I would like to try it sometime...I would think as long as you were prepared it would be okay.

Not quite sure how well a tent would hold up in snow...but it's something I would like to try before I pass on to greener pastures!

You shouldn't have any problems if you have the correct tent. They tent Mt. Everest all the time. I have tented deer hunting up north in December with no problems. It can be done.

Where I want to go....they don't have permanent fish houses.

Don't they make heaters that are safe for indoors now? I thought they did...not sure. Couple that with a good sleeping bag and I think it would be okay....I'd like to stay away from the whole asphixiation thing though.

Where I want to go....they don't have permanent fish houses.

Don't they make heaters that are safe for indoors now? I thought they did...not sure. Couple that with a good sleeping bag and I think it would be okay....I'd like to stay away from the whole asphixiation thing though.

Yes, they make them safe for indoors, but you still have to have ventilation of the gases from the heater. You shouldn't have any problem producing enough venting in a tent. Just make sure you open a couple windows to vent.

Winter camping has a big following in the BWCA. There is lots of equipment available like tents, woodstoves, LP stoves. Post this on the Duluth / B-dub fourm where you will likely find guys who winter camp regularly.

I've camped up in Canada before in 0 to -10 F weather (and slightly warmer on other trips). We pulled our gear in on snowmobiles/4-wheelers, so size and weight weren’t huge factors. If you’re planning on snowshoeing/skiing/hiking obviously some of this stuff wouldn’t work. Here are a few tips:

1. You can get new light weight tents suitable for winter camping, but they are very pricey. We used to use an old canvas tent because it retained more heat, and the wind didn’t come right through the walls. You can sometimes find them pretty cheap too.

2. Good sleeping bags are a must, and I would suggest using a liner bag as well. Two bags always seems to work better than one.

3. Something between your sleeping bag and the ground is a good idea too…foam pad, pine boughs under the tent, etc. I wouldn’t suggest a cot unless the tent is heated because you’ll be much colder. If a cot is a must, put a foam pad or some kind of insulation on top of it.

4. Sleep in good moisture wicking long underwear, and a winter hat.

5. Have a plastic bottle in the tent if you think you’ll have to pee during the night, and don’t hold it! That will also make you colder because your body will have more to keep warm (I know it sounds stupid, but it's true).

6. We never used a heater so I can’t really comment on that.

Other than that just common sense stuff like set up camp in a wind sheltered area, bring warm clothes, and prepare to be outside all day. Hope it helps.

Absolutely been done. I recall that at the Glenwood All-Scout Ice Fishing Derby's of old, there was usually a troop of boys who set up camp out on the ice using base camp style large canvas hunting tents with wood and propane stoves with stacks. Seemed like a roaring good time to me, nice large tent, ice for a floor, rattle reels next to the cot, mmm :-)

Me, I like my drop down perm shack "camper". :-) Got soft as I got older!