• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sleeping Bag Recommendations for COLD weather

Doop

I am wanting to buy a mummy sleeping bag for cold nights....does anyone have any personal experience with camping in COLD weather? By cold I'm talking down into the 20's-teens...if not colder.

Cabelas makes a great bag called the Summit II that I have used for 5+ years in Colorado as well as winter camping in the UP. It's affordable, lightweight, warm and roomy. A couple of the guys in camp have Marmot, some have North Face and some have Walmart specials....it all depends on how cold you get at night. I have slept at below zero with nothing more than a thermal layer on the body and a beanie on the head (which IMO is the most important thing to staying warm at night). I use an army cot, sleeping pad and a few fleece blankets to help insulate.

I have 2 sleeping bags that go together, and always have cot, extra blankets, quilts along. Important to put something under bags to wick away sweat, moisture. Went out west and friends didn't and woke up with damp bags, from nylon cot under them. It was -10 degrees and I stayed warm.

Get a mummy bag rated to whatever you are getting down to and get an air mattress. Thermarest is pretty standard and work well. Check out moosejaw dot com. They have a lot of nice gear and run free shipping and sales and such. Customer reviews help a lot too.

Important items for cold camping are a closed cell foam pad for on the ground or in your cot. This is what will insulate you from the cold underneath. You will be colder in a cot than on the ground.

Get a good bag that rated to 10-20* colder than what you expect. I use an REI down mummy bag rated to 20 and I'm fine, but I'm a warm sleeper. I use a 4season pad with a fleece sleeping bag liner for an added layer. I wear a thin long johns and a beanie to bed.

I winter camp with this setup with no problems.

Get something rated to -20 or -30. The fill in those bags will make sure you are well insulated. Another feature to look for is a chest collar. This will add a little more material around your shoulders to help "seal" in more of your body heat.

Cabela's has a lot of good bags that would fit the bill for what you are looking for.

If you can get to a Cabela's check out the bargin cave. I bought a bag from them about 8 years ago that had a small tear in the stuff sack. That little tear knocked $50 off the price of the bag.

When considering materials you should consider how it will be used. Down weighs less and packs down smaller for the same level of warmth, but if it gets wet its not the best. That includes sweating. Sweat doesn't buildup quickly unless you overdress for bed, so a down bag is still good for a weekend.

Synthetic materials perform well even if they get wet, but they are bulkier in size and weight.