• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First time out, I can safetly say I am "hooked" for life!!!!!!!!!

Last year I decided that I wanted to fish muskie, so I bought some gear and made it happen. I went out today for the first time and started off with a bang!!!! I had 7 follows, a few bumped my baits, and I hooked into 3 of them, BUt I only managed to land one 33incher. I think 3 of the follows came from the one I boated, and the other 4 came from a fish that I managed to hook for about a second. All the fish I hooked came right at the boat, while trailing the lure for a bit. I got so excited, I think I pulled the bait right out of their mouth. My dad says I should sharpen my hooks, even though they are brand new lures. I had a blast mostly fishing a mid lake sunken island. How long do you figure 8 after a follow? How long do you pound an area after a follow? After a few follows, should i downsize, or up size depending on situation? any advice would be great.....I am just so excited, I could just keep writing on forever. thanks.......... IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

What I have always been told and found some truth to is if you have an active fish that is following, cast a few more times and see if you get a bite. If you don't, switch lures for a few more casts and then continue with your pass over the larger area. If it is a "big" fish, then come back at the key time (either by the feeding time chart or sun-down/sun-up).

How long do you figure 8 after a follow? How long do you pound an area after a follow? After a few follows, should i downsize, or up size depending on situation?

Welcome to the group man!!!!! I dont think there is anything set in stone when it comes to musky fishing, but when I get a follow I usually do a minumum of a dozen or so 8's. I had one last year that finally ate after the 9th time around. Nothin better when there eatin at your feet. Also, if you raise a fish and it doesnt look like she's gonna go. Come back later (moonrise/set,change in direction/speed of wind, or around sunrise/set) Thats what I try to do anyways. Nice fish by the way. Hope you get his greatgrandma next time!!

Try to change speed and direction. Reel as fast as you can, pump the rod, moving the rod tip left and right will help get more bites. When going into a figure 8 with a bucktail, keep the blades spinning. If they stop it will turn fish away sometimes. I learned alot by getting a well known guide. Good luck!!

that's a healthy 33. I love the way those fish look when they're that size. Awesome that you got those fish to follow so many times. Was this on tuesday (6/9) and if so would you mind telling us around what time? we boated a fish at 3:31 yesterday and I'm just curious if there's a statewide correlation in feeding times.

If you move a fish, (follows to the boat) You will get a sence of how hot the fish is. Trust me, you will know if a fish is hot or not. Depending on how hot the fish is will allow you to deterimine how many time you will throw back and how aggresive you should get.

If the fish is lazy, figure 8 and then throw back a few times with the same lure and a few different lures, if you dont see her again, leave her alone. Come back at a more oportune time.

If the fish is hot, figure eight a dozen time while your buddy in the boat throws back at her. Then throw back something else, something eratic. Remember alternate who is doing the figure 8, always have one going, the fish might be under the boat. I have a few go to throw back lures that I have boated fish with in the past.

At that point the fish will strike or, once agian leave and come back at a more oportune time.

Originally Posted By: ZEEK1223
honestly the fish did come around 3:45

crazy. gonna have to check and see if that was around a moonrise (a little early in the day? I'm no expert.) or maybe a wind change or something like that and make a note of it.

Not even close to moon rise, there was a peak activity time between 2:28 and 3:14pm.

Originally Posted By: bronzeback
though I guess I'm more interested now after boating a fish in the middle of the day.

I'm curious why does that surprise you that a fish was caught in the middle of the day?

we've had plenty of follows mid-day, but have never managed to boat a fish mid-day. granted I've only fished muskies a season and a half and don't have a lot of data to base that on, it was just a surprise to me.

Looking back on last season though we did blow a few hook-ups mid day and lose some decent fish, we've just had our best luck later in the day.