• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Climbing Stix ?

30 inch eyes

I own the Summit Buck Steps, and I'd argue that I can get higher, faster, and into more types of trees than any other style of hunting. They weigh 10 pounds, and I don't break a sweat getting them on or myself into the tree. Couple that with a 10 pound stand, and I'm at 20 pounds. Light, fast and easy.

Lone Wolf and Gorilla both make a 3 pack of sticks that are pretty nice, but I prefer 4 smaller sticks with bigger steps to 3 longer ones with small pegs.

Gorilla now makes an innexpensive stick that is good, but heavier than the other types. Still better than sweating and swearing while screwing pegs into the trees.

I've had a fairly cheap set, don't know the brand, for about 5 years. I really like them, but most of the new ones are better. I don't think the brand matters, just look for a few characteristics.

The ones I have, have alternating pegs. Most of the new ones, even with pegs, they're on both sides on every step, so you don't have to go down a certain way. It isn't a huge deal, but the alternating ones are a little trickier getting in & out of the stand depending on which way you need to get in. Mine also just have plastic coated rope with a little cleat to rap around for attachment, which is harder to get tight & keep tight, look for one with ratchet straps, as I think you can still find them for around $50 or less. You might want to check strap length too, mine won't reacha around really big trees.

It seems like Rivers Edge had a decent set advertised at Fleet Farm a while back for around $35. Unless you're really heavy, the lightest ones are fine. I did weigh around 225 plus, I'm on a diet now, but had no problem with them.

They work great for smaller oaks especially, as they're so darn hard to screw a tree step into.

I use strictly climbing sticks and have four different styles. Lone Wolf and Gorilla make sticks that can be placed seperate onto the tree. These work really well for trees that are not naturally straight and work just as well for straight trees. As mentioned before, most sticks along with your stand are light enough to get you in and out quickly and for the most part quietly if you have to set up later in the season. The other styles, stacking sticks, work well too but be sure to buy the ones that have some type of abrasive surface on the steps themselves for icy conditions. All in all for sticks and stands I would buy gorilla or lone wolf over any brand. I have had great success with these products and they have held up great for the years I have owned them.

Another thing to remember with these sticks, just as with your stands, remember to check the tightness of the straps every week or after a big wind. I have never had any problem with them coming loose, but you never know with a tree that sways back and forth.

Jim Hudson

I use a couple of portables, and sometimes leave them in different spots.
My 2 favorite ightweights are a Lone Wolf Alpha, and I really like Gorilla SilverBack Lite Hunters. Cheap, and once you stomp on them real good, they are super quiet for the dollar.