• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Doe Hunters??????

barebackjack

I am curious to know how many of us are out there hunting does? Dont get me wrong I will take a nice buck if I see one, but every season I am counting on getting a doe. It is not a management thing for me, its just what I have come to enjoy more than keeping my hopes up for a nice wallhanger. Lets hear some other thoughts on this.

------------------
barebackjack IBOT#197
Why ride the wagon when the walk is so scenic?????????

Yeah, I'd love to be able to take a wack at a wall hanger but most of the time I have to take what the good lords giving and for me thats normally a doe. Doesn't bother me one bit either, just means I'm back in the cabin watching movies, playing cards or duck hunting sooner smile.gifHaven't shot a real buck in probably 10 ten years.

Well I've been mostly hunting does, in fact I was Tuesday night when I shot my 8 pointer. So needless to say I'm really shooting does now & I don't really care if they're very big, anything over a year-old is great by me.

Had a big un with a double throat patch out at 30 yrds last night. Saw her last year, has got a fat gut and deep chest. Her fawns scented me last night and although broadside she was on edge and it was getting dark - I didn't even draw. But I've be scheming ever since on how to put her in the freezer! Am gonna buy a ground blind and try that. She has busted me the last two years so its getting personal now! Nothing wrong or dull about hunting does. Who wants to sit in a tree all year and not fling an arrow? I like to fling and zing 'em.

Boy I like to hear this out some bow hunters. I have been trying to defend slug hunters point of view that usually includes......in a two day season they all hope to shoot the 30 pointer, but if a doe comes by most enjoy shooting one and having some venison.

I'm glad you guys are honest, and I believe most share your opinions.

I'll shoot the first deer that comes by. We don't have "big bucks" in our area. They either get shot before they get old enough to sport a large rack or we don't have the genetics/nutrition in our area. If our group doesn't shoot does we don't get much meat. Our motto is "if it's brown, it's down".
gspman

I shoot as many does as possible every year. I do it for management purposes and because I love venison. I eat two deer a year and give the rest away to friends and family after I have processed it. I prefer 1.5 year old does, great tasting.

I don't know why all the guys that are standing around the registration station, comparing deer, bragging up the big bucks, and they say,"Oh, you got a doe."

I shoot em. I eat em. Sure, if Mr. big comes along he's dead meat. But to be totally honest the does just plain taste better and I think are way more tender.

My family eats a lot of venison. (If we're lucky ) Don't bother me in the least bit to shoot a doe.

Personally, I will shoot a doe any day. I don't have much time to hunt anyways. I have twin boys so, all my time is spent raising them. So, if a doe walks by me on opening day well, I will shoot it. Then I have more time to spend with my family.

I'm with jlm and bigbucks. Nothing better than a 1.5 year old doe for the freezer. We usually go through 3 a year. My 6 year old boy loves those venny hotdogs. I think he eats most of it over the course of the year. Might have to take 4 this year so I can have some!

Crusher