• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new motor

kc0myy

Hey guys I am getting a new outboard soon (new to me) since some *^&$$#%^&* (pick your favorite word) stole mine. its a Johnson 10 horse. what things do I need to look at? I know about the lower unit i.e. water in gear oil, water pumb, spark plugs, and carbs. is there anything eles I should look over. I bought is off of crigs list for $100 and the guy said it runs. so I thought I really can't lose too much for $100. but I wanted to know if there is anything I am missing. oh and the oil I am guessing its 50:1 or 40:1 is that right?

If everything goes your way the lower unit will be full with no water in it. Its starts right up, pumps water, and runs good at all speeds. If you need to replace the impeller or have a bad lower seal(s) you might as well replace all of that at that time. What year is it? That matters on the oil/gas ratio.

Did you get the tank and hose with it?

I asked about the tank because your 10 hp might take a pressure(two line)tank. 10 hp being in the 1950's.

24:1 is the ratio.

yeah guess what it is a two line tank. guess what I don't have the tank with me. but my friend Tom he eats, sleeps, and craps outboards said that I can get a universal fuel pumb and hook it up to the outboard. Tom said he has done it with some motors before that are a two line tank.

Hey guys, I know this is old post, but wondering how it went kc?

I just got an old Evinrude Sea Horse, 15 hp, from my neighbor. I am going to give it to my grandson to use at the lake on a 14' boat we rebuilt together. I did get a tank with it (two line), but I have a newer one line tank, and if it was one line, it could be interchanged with my pontoon.

Where can I find a fitting, etc. that could make the new omc tank with the old two line motor fitting?

Thanks much!

ps - I guess I could just give him the old tank, but it would be easy if we could swap them at will.